OtherGround Forums What do you think is biggest problem with the OG?

4/28/19 12:17 PM
6/3/03
ABCTT_TFK_Mr.Smiff -
Nitecrawler - 
Fighting -

I stopped posting much when it just got to be snarky and trolls abound. Couple that with my waining interest in mma. Meh.

That’s a fair point, perhaps many of the older members that made this place interesting maybe “Aged out” of the OG? However, I would think that at least some of the newer members would have picked up the slack so I don’t think that really explains why this place is dying. 

seems a good portion of the newer members either suck or are just old posters that got banned for being trolls (mostly this)

there's still a lot of good posters here but not nearly as many as there used to be.

I have to agree, but that does say something about this place when the trolls never leave.

The OG is a very unique place on the internet and its telling when you see some active members have been here close to 20 years. 

Perhaps perfecting and bringing back the Karma system will be a step in the right direction to getting this place back on track. It’s a delicate balance though as once people realize the karma system can be exploited then it becomes a real problem.

Trolls will always troll so perhaps a formula that takes into account your own karma when you up/down vote someone? Like someone who is a huge troll or new member when they up/down vote someone it is only worth a percentage whereas a member who has been here for many years who’s karma rating is way in the green’s vote automatically has much more weight to it? 

I don’t know, just spitballing here. 

4/28/19 12:19 PM
9/17/11

People are losing interest in UFC too. I don’t even watch it anymore and have been coming here less because of it. It’s a political forum now too

4/28/19 12:22 PM
9/4/17
4ozToFreedom -

People are losing interest in UFC too. I don’t even watch it anymore and have been coming here less because of it. It’s a political forum now too

The ufc is doing better than ever. Just like the NBA and the NFL, you lose fans and you gain fans. 

4/28/19 12:23 PM
6/3/03
saglv -

It isn't anything to do with the OG directly imho. I think it is the same underlying reason that not many pro fighters post here anymore, which is that there is no longer a need for traditional forum sites to faciliate discussion with their fans.

Instagram, Twitter, etc allow them to interact with their fans directly at scale.

While that may be true for pro fighters and social media I have to respectfully disagree with you concerning this forums role and appeal to the average joe. 

This forum grants a certain level of anonymity which in turn allows people to “Let down their hair” so to speak. While I’m sure social media has shifted the way people interact with each other I don’t think it has that much of an affect on the average member here. To put it more succinctly it seems to me that social media such as twitter and Facebook are for “Real life” whereas the OG is for letting loose with people common friends around the world.  

4/28/19 12:26 PM
3/23/07
Nitecrawler - 
saglv -

It isn't anything to do with the OG directly imho. I think it is the same underlying reason that not many pro fighters post here anymore, which is that there is no longer a need for traditional forum sites to faciliate discussion with their fans.

Instagram, Twitter, etc allow them to interact with their fans directly at scale.

While that may be true for pro fighters and social media I have to respectfully disagree with you concerning this forums role and appeal to the average joe. 

This forum grants a certain level of anonymity which in turn allows people to “Let down their hair” so to speak. While I’m sure social media has shifted the way people interact with each other I don’t think it has that much of an affect on the average member here. To put it more succinctly it seems to me that social media such as twitter and Facebook are for “Real life” whereas the OG is for letting loose with people common friends around the world.  

Reddit.

But yeah, the reasons are Insta, Twitter, FB, Reddit, and their ilk IMHO.

4/28/19 12:27 PM
8/18/13

You, Camicon, Pedro & Orcus are 75% of the problem 

It’s been far better place without Munk & Traven. If you four went too maybe the rest of us could have a decent conversation  

4/28/19 12:31 PM
1/1/01
Nitecrawler -

Gentleman, we have a problem; the OG is dying. 

Years ago, you could hardly keep up with the amount of great threads that were created in rapid succession, day and night on the OG. Now I see the same threads day after day with little to no movement/replies and it really is shocking how far the OG has fallen. 

So, how do we fix this and make the OG great again? Well, the first step to solving an issue is identifying it, so what do you think is the biggest problem the OG is facing? This will be a great thread to enumerate the most pressing issues the forum is facing and will be a great way for Kirik and top men to take a cold, hard look at the biggest problems facing this place from a customer perspective. 

So, what do you guys think is the biggest issue with the OG?

Too many trolls? Too many technical issues/ads? Lack of accountability for members/not enough mods taking action? App functionality? 

Cmon, OG, let’s lay it all out there so we can resuscitate the OG!!!

I've been doing what I can do to make the OG GREAT AGAIN. good threads go unnoticed... sad sad sad

4/28/19 12:32 PM
10/30/05
saglv -

I would say it’s mostly to do with the OG being on a piece of shit app with fucktards managing it. Posters realized those guys don’t give a fuck it’s down all the time. 

4/28/19 12:32 PM
11/24/07
Hocky -

Everything being racial or political is pretty annoying.

You could have a thread about Russell Westbrook having another triple double and some asshole will say something stupid like “It’s the white man’s fault” or “It’s Trump’s fault.”

The sad part is that in their minds they think they are being clever and original, while there are twenty other idiots saying the same old thing in other random threads.

This. 

Probably a third of the threads on the front page every day are political or racial bs with the same idiots starting and posting in all of them. It’s annoying and redundant. 

4/28/19 12:33 PM
1/1/01
butt hurt mods and image posting

The mods seem to be pretty thin skinned and liberal.

When posting pics was for everyone it drove the traffic too.
9/4/17
Dreville79 -

It’s been far better place without Munk & Traven. If you four went too maybe the rest of us could have a decent conversation  

Bullshit. I don't like munk but whatever. Traven I disagreed with a lot but he made good threads. 

6/3/03
Dreville79 -

I don’t believe I’ve ever derailed a conversation on the OG, are you sure you are not confusing me with someone else? Don’t think you and I have ever had any real interactions so I’m a bit confused. 

If you are sure it is me you’re talking about, please tell me the specific problems you have with me. I think the hardest part about self discovery is not realizing how others view you, so please enlighten me. 

4/28/19 12:35 PM
1/1/01
I post less here because I decided to stop paying to post pics and html.
I don't like echo chambers so that's one reason I like this place but if I knew of a good alternative I would leave.
4/28/19 12:35 PM
2/4/07
This forum discourages interesting posts. Might be the only forum where the majority of users are not able to post pics, and while we are able to post youtube videos, it's a huge pain in the ass compared to other forums.

Also, if the people who cry about politics were actually interesting and made good posts, there wouldn't be so many political posts. It's probably the case that most people here just aren't that interesting anymore. The average age is is what, 40 plus? You're just not going to get the same type of posts as when this forum was mostly mid twenties.
4/28/19 12:36 PM
6/3/03
Goochy Mang -
saglv -

I would say it’s mostly to do with the OG being on a piece of shit app with fucktards managing it. Posters realized those guys don’t give a fuck it’s down all the time. 

I agree that technical issues are a huge problem with this forum. 

I also have to agree with you that it seems there is a lack of motivation from the top down to remediate any of the issues plaguing this forum. I mean I’ve seen Kirik say for years that this forum is getting a complete rewrite but thus far it has not manifested despite it being promised for years. 

4/28/19 12:36 PM
6/3/03
Throwin’Knuckles -

I don’t know man.. The last 2-3 years of politics turned the country upside down. The forum turned against each other. I think political discussion is necessary. But some people take it too serious. This place was like a hidden gem. A refuge for all of us retards. I don’t know what happened. All I can say is I’m down to make it a point to post a few threads a week. Good ones. No political BS. We are a family first and foremost. We need to come together. Now bring it in for a group hug and let’s bump hogs.

*unzips*

This guy get it. 

*Unzips*

4/28/19 12:39 PM
6/3/03
Sandy Pantz - This forum discourages interesting posts. Might be the only forum where the majority of users are not able to post pics, and while we are able to post youtube videos, it's a huge pain in the ass compared to other forums.

Also, if the people who cry about politics were actually interesting and made good posts, there wouldn't be so many political posts. It's probably the case that most people here just aren't that interesting anymore. The average age is is what, 40 plus? You're just not going to get the same type of posts as when this forum was mostly mid twenties.

“Also, if the people who cry about politics were actually interesting and made good posts, there wouldn't be so many political posts.”

I have to agree, and it’s a point I touched upon in the OP. This site is member/content driven; if you don’t like the content you have the power to change it so make it happen. 

4/28/19 12:41 PM
1/1/01

Sjws. I can deal with them putting shit in but then bashing others opinions is getting annoying. State your own, I get it the other side is calling you fags(mostly trolls) but you go off on everyone and pretend like your shit is 100 % fact.

4/28/19 12:42 PM
7/15/02

One of the things that made this place great years ago was that it was like a locker room.  People busted each other’s balls, posted really inappropriate stuff/stories, and we all acted like total hooligans. It was an escape from real life. Nobody cared. We just had a laugh and moved on. 

Now many of those same topics would just devolve into people calling people assholes and then politics and race would get brought into it. 

Throw in the occasional loser who tries to make trouble for people in real life and suddenly you have to be careful what you post. 

That and social media, obviously. 

4/28/19 12:44 PM
9/4/17
NiteProwleR -

Sjws. I can deal with them putting shit in but then bashing others opinions is getting annoying. State your own, I get it the other side is calling you fags(mostly trolls) but you go off on everyone and pretend like your shit is 100 % fact.

Labeling everyone that you disagree with as a sjw is also a problem. I'm far from a sjw but if I disagree with certain posters I'm labeled a leftist sjw. 

4/28/19 12:45 PM
5/23/07
Dreville79 - 

lmao you are just like Orcus and Pedro
4/28/19 12:47 PM
9/4/17
Yossarian -

One of the things that made this place great years ago was that it was like a locker room.  People busted each other’s balls, posted really inappropriate stuff/stories, and we all acted like total hooligans. It was an escape from real life. Nobody cared. We just had a laugh and moved on. 

Now many of those same topics would just devolve into people calling people assholes and then politics and race would get brought into it. 

Throw in the occasional loser who tries to make trouble for people in real life and suddenly you have to be careful what you post. 

That and social media, obviously. 

One of the greatest things ever was chesty being called a racist and then him posting pics of him fucking a black girl.

4/28/19 12:51 PM
11/9/05

This place used to be the most entertaining time killer I’d ever come across. I could sit down after work and find at least 5 or 6 threads that would have me laughing my ass off. 

Over the years it’s rotted away to a toxic political venting ground and beacon for trolls. It’s true politics have always been discussed and debated, but now we have idiots creating 6-10 threads a day calling out their political opposition or celebrating their hard-on for their hero. You also have blatant trolls deliberately spamming the board with 10 threads a day about a fish tanks and what not, while mods sit back and do nothing.

After awhile, this becomes the forums primary content and identity. Not only does it fail to inspire participation, but it’s pushes away new members of potential value. Who the fuck would stumble across this place for the first time and think it’s anything other than a lame bitch fest?

In addition to the deteriorating environment, you have constant technical issues and intrusive software that borderlines on insulting. I haven’t been able to log in through ios in months. I still get log in errors and “forum not found” messages. This is a customer facing business run by people who don’t give a fuck about the customer experience. On top of it all, they’ll sit there and use the platform to pawn off streaming services and other products to the same group of people whose sentiments they routinely disregard. It’s hilarious.

It’s not complicated. This place is dying because the quality of just about everything fell the fuck off. It gives no incentive for establish members to stay, or new members to join, and the decision makers are more worried about you buying ESPN+ than cultivating an entertaining experience on their site.

8/9/16
camicom -
William H Muncy -
Graduate1 -
William H Muncy - 

You

Why? Cause Nite is White?

I actually enjoy nitecrawler. He's a good dude. 

Munce and Crawler are two of the best on the OG.

See the source image

5/23/07
Nitecrawler - 
ABCTT_TFK_Mr.Smiff -
Nitecrawler - 
Fighting -

I stopped posting much when it just got to be snarky and trolls abound. Couple that with my waining interest in mma. Meh.

That’s a fair point, perhaps many of the older members that made this place interesting maybe “Aged out” of the OG? However, I would think that at least some of the newer members would have picked up the slack so I don’t think that really explains why this place is dying. 

seems a good portion of the newer members either suck or are just old posters that got banned for being trolls (mostly this)

there's still a lot of good posters here but not nearly as many as there used to be.

I have to agree, but that does say something about this place when the trolls never leave.

The OG is a very unique place on the internet and its telling when you see some active members have been here close to 20 years. 

Perhaps perfecting and bringing back the Karma system will be a step in the right direction to getting this place back on track. It’s a delicate balance though as once people realize the karma system can be exploited then it becomes a real problem.

Trolls will always troll so perhaps a formula that takes into account your own karma when you up/down vote someone? Like someone who is a huge troll or new member when they up/down vote someone it is only worth a percentage whereas a member who has been here for many years who’s karma rating is way in the green’s vote automatically has much more weight to it? 

I don’t know, just spitballing here. 

Despite the influx of shitty posters I still really enjoy this place. Even with the huge amount of political threads they do provide me with plenty of laughs.

I don't know what the right answer(s) would be to make this place better. I think bringing back arrows would be a good start. But then people will bitch that posters are just making threads to gain votes (like food threads, more hot bish threads etc) which I've personally missed.

Hope tinycrawler is doing well sir