OtherGround Forums What was your favorite NES game?

9 days ago
9/1/06

Yesterdays thread got me thinking back to the good old days and all the games I had.  I found this cool link for all Nintendo games and when you hover over the name they show the box cover.  Pretty cool and makes me want to start collecting them again.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Nintendo_Entertainment_System_games

I forgot how many kick ass games there really was!  I really liked to play Goonies 2, Bionic Commando, Master Blaster, Kung Fu, Karate Champ, the list could go on.

9 days ago
2/4/07

Maniac Mansion is the love of my life

9 days ago
6/27/05

Mike Tyson’s Punchout

9 days ago
9/27/15

Final Fantasy

9 days ago
1/1/01

RBI Baseball 

9 days ago
8/31/12

9 days ago
4/2/11

Sorry can't pick only 1.

Rolling Thunder 

contra

Metal storm

want to put others. 

9 days ago
6/26/17

Skate or die 

9 days ago
1/15/15

Renegade

9 days ago
8/10/11

Mario 3 or the TMNT game, man that fucker was hard 

9 days ago
7/26/07
Hard to pick a favorite

Legend of Zelda
Mike Tyson's Punchout
Mega Man 2
Super Mario 2 and 3
Dragon Warrior
Final Fantasy
Super Techmo Bowl

Probably a dozen others im just not thinking about off the top of my head
Edited: 9 days ago
7/26/07
ClevelandCursed - 

I could get to Shredder consistently, but never could beat him.

part of it was how hard it was to get to him with enough lives left to have a chance.

If i couldn't get past the water level without dying, i would restart the game and try again.

I had the water level down, which i always hear people bitch about as impossible. it wasn't. That fucking Battletoads speeder bike level was though

9 days ago
9/1/06

Did anyone place Shadowgate?  I always thought that was a cool game and a thinker.  At least for a kid at that time.

9 days ago
1/1/01

River City Ransom

9 days ago
7/26/07
joeywu36 - 

Did anyone place Shadowgate?  I always thought that was a cool game and a thinker.  At least for a kid at that time.

Yeah, that was a cool puzzle game.

I rented it over and over again until i finally beat it. Don't know why i just never bought it.

I feel like it was a precursor to games like Myst and Riven
9 days ago
3/5/14
Come Honor Face -

This is the one. 

9 days ago
5/28/02

Ninja gaiden

castlevania- fuck you medusa, never beat you. Theres a yt clip of a guy apeed clearing this, if only it were avaialable 30 years ago...

9 days ago
12/29/09
HaMMerHouseFAN - 

River City Ransom

So hard to pick just one, but this maybe.

Also Punchout, Super Mario 2. Contra, Double Dragon 2. I'll stop there.

9 days ago
7/26/07

9 days ago
9/1/06
Chimonos Revenge -
joeywu36 - 

Yeah, that was a cool puzzle game.

I rented it over and over again until i finally beat it. Don't know why i just never bought it.

I feel like it was a precursor to games like Myst and Riven

This and Deja Vu still stick out to me as super cool and not your average type game.  My neighbor had Shadowgate but I owned Deja Vu and yeah, they took some time to figure out.  

9 days ago
4/6/09

Zelda 

9 days ago
8/10/11
Chimonos Revenge -
ClevelandCursed - 

part of it was how hard it was to get to him with enough lives left to have a chance.

If i couldn't get past the water level without dying, i would restart the game and try again.

I had the water level down, which i always hear people bitch about as impossible. it wasn't. That fucking Battletoads speeder bike level was though

Yeah the water level gets a lot of hype around it, but pretty much the rest of the game from that point on is significantly harder than it. The whole foot clan area to the end of the game was just ridiculous. 

But man that game was way ahead of its time if you think about it. Interactive over world, three unique maps you progressed through, seemless sub-levels in between, hp bars in an era of one touch deaths, multiple characters with unique skills. 

9 days ago
7/26/07
ClevelandCursed - 
Chimonos Revenge -
ClevelandCursed - 

Yeah the water level gets a lot of hype around it, but pretty much the rest of the game from that point on is significantly harder than it. The whole foot clan area to the end of the game was just ridiculous. 

But man that game was way ahead of its time if you think about it. Interactive over world, three unique maps you progressed through, seemless sub-levels in between, hp bars in an era of one touch deaths, multiple characters with unique skills. 

Yeah it was a great game.

Frustrating as hell, but a great game.

I think that's why it's remembered so fondly, even though you wanted to smash it with a hammer sometimes
9 days ago
3/25/17

Robin Hood : Prince of Thieves (this game was a mother fucker!)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Contra 

9 days ago
7/14/16

Mike Tysons Punchout and Zelda 2. I keep a retro pi just for these 2. That thing has many thousands of games, but these are the only 2 I still replay.

I know Zelda 2 gets shit as the worst Zelda ever, but I loved that game and still play it. I wish somebody would make a legit sequel to THAT game. Same format and style just with a new adventure and item locations. I've replayed it so many times that I've sat down and played it straight through multiple times now.