OtherGround Forums What was your favorite NES game?

9 days ago
7/26/07
joeywu36 - 
Chimonos Revenge -
joeywu36 - 

Did anyone place Shadowgate?  I always thought that was a cool game and a thinker.  At least for a kid at that time.

Yeah, that was a cool puzzle game.

I rented it over and over again until i finally beat it. Don't know why i just never bought it.

I feel like it was a precursor to games like Myst and Riven

This and Deja Vu still stick out to me as super cool and not your average type game.  My neighbor had Shadowgate but I owned Deja Vu and yeah, they took some time to figure out.  

I liked Swords and Serpents a lot as well. More of an rpg dungeon crawl game

9 days ago
3/5/14
Chimonos Revenge -
ClevelandCursed - 
Chimonos Revenge -
ClevelandCursed - 

Mario 3 or the TMNT game, man that fucker was hard 

I could get to Shredder consistently, but never could beat him.

part of it was how hard it was to get to him with enough lives left to have a chance.

If i couldn't get past the water level without dying, i would restart the game and try again.

I had the water level down, which i always hear people bitch about as impossible. it wasn't. That fucking Battletoads speeder bike level was though

Yeah the water level gets a lot of hype around it, but pretty much the rest of the game from that point on is significantly harder than it. The whole foot clan area to the end of the game was just ridiculous. 

But man that game was way ahead of its time if you think about it. Interactive over world, three unique maps you progressed through, seemless sub-levels in between, hp bars in an era of one touch deaths, multiple characters with unique skills. 

Yeah it was a great game.

Frustrating as hell, but a great game.

I think that's why it's remembered so fondly, even though you wanted to smash it with a hammer sometimes

Those are the types of games that really stand the test of time.  They actually implemented varying layers of mechanics and depth to the game when they didn't have to.  Having such different levels and parts to the game on such limited hardware is very cool and you can see how those ideas were fleshed out and made more full and functional on future games and hardware.  Its these kinds of games from the NES era that actually hold up imo where a lot of games on NES and of that era feel extremely shallow and hard to play these days.

9 days ago
1/1/01

This is an unanswerable question. The list of great games is forever. Baseball Stars to Super Techmo Bowl, Zelda to Super Mario, and so much more listed above and to come below. Just an amazing time to relax-introduce home gaming again!! Great time to be a kid!!!

9 days ago
7/26/07
Lurker99 - 

Mike Tysons Punchout and Zelda 2. I keep a retro pi just for these 2. That thing has many thousands of games, but these are the only 2 I still replay.

I know Zelda 2 gets shit as the worst Zelda ever, but I loved that game and still play it. I wish somebody would make a legit sequel to THAT game. Same format and style just with a new adventure and item locations. I've replayed it so many times that I've sat down and played it straight through multiple times now. 

Zelda 2 wasn't a bad game on it's own

But compared to the 1st one it was lacking in overall fun, imo.

The fist one is so damn good, and was such a big world (at the time) for a rpg video game like that, where it wasn't just side scrolling and you could free roam.

Plus all the hidden shit.
9 days ago
7/14/16
Chimonos Revenge - 
Lurker99 - 

Mike Tysons Punchout and Zelda 2. I keep a retro pi just for these 2. That thing has many thousands of games, but these are the only 2 I still replay.

I know Zelda 2 gets shit as the worst Zelda ever, but I loved that game and still play it. I wish somebody would make a legit sequel to THAT game. Same format and style just with a new adventure and item locations. I've replayed it so many times that I've sat down and played it straight through multiple times now. 

The fist one is so damn good, and was such a big world (at the time) for a rpg video game like that, where it wasn't just side scrolling and you could free roam.

Understood and somewhat agree. In my head, I seperate Zelda 2 from the Zelda games. I was a fan of the series, but I put Zelda 2 on it's own. I love the RPG style map and locations combined with the clasic side scrolling sword fighting adventure game. I love replaying the adventure after you have all the skills and such unlocked. Sometimes I will loop through the cave maze over and over just to sword fight the hammer throwing guys and knights at the end. Just wish there was another adventure in the same style. I'd contribute to a crowd fund if the creator decided to do another lol.

9 days ago
9/1/06

Did anyone else have a hard time with Section Z?  That game kicked my ass so  many times I finally gave up on it.

9 days ago
9/1/06
Lurker99 -
Chimonos Revenge - 
Lurker99 - 

Understood and somewhat agree. In my head, I seperate Zelda 2 from the Zelda games. I was a fan of the series, but I put Zelda 2 on it's own. I love the RPG style map and locations combined with the clasic side scrolling sword fighting adventure game. I love replaying the adventure after you have all the skills and such unlocked. Sometimes I will loop through the cave maze over and over just to sword fight the hammer throwing guys and knights at the end. Just wish there was another adventure in the same style. I'd contribute to a crowd fund if the creator decided to do another lol.

I agree 100%!  I enjoyed the heck out of that one.  Fun game all around 

9 days ago
10/26/18

Tecmo Super Bowl, with Final Fantasy a close second

9 days ago
7/14/16
joeywu36 - 
Lurker99 -
Chimonos Revenge - 
Lurker99 - 

I agree 100%!  I enjoyed the heck out of that one.  Fun game all around 

My dream game would be if someone could somehow take the entire Dragon Warrior series of games, but replace all the fight scenes with Zelda 2 style fight scenes, and expand on the caves and dungeons to make them like the mini side scroll adventure fights. 

Edited: 9 days ago
9/1/06

Marbel Madness was a constant for awhile as well.  Kind of addicting like Tetris

9 days ago
4/1/11

River City Ransom because my buddy and I could play at the same time!

Also, Stinger was an underrated gem.

9 days ago
1/18/12

Mega man 2

9 days ago
6/27/05
Come Honor Face -

Super Mario Bros U Deluxe on Switch is just like SM3

9 days ago
12/3/16

9 days ago
11/20/09

Some great ones mentioned.

Ones I enjoyed that haven't been mentioned yet-

Top Gun 2(Top Gun 1 was fun too, but I loved the dogfight 2 player mode in the sequal)

Super Sprint

Pro Am Racing 2(So much fun!!!)

Ikari Warriors

Here's a little tidbit many people were too young to even think about, but some NES games(such as Super Sprint) came as a black cartridge instead of the normal gray cartridge.  This meant that these black cartridge games were not licensed by Nintendo and technically they were supposed to be illegal, but there was some loophole that allowed many companies to make these black cartridge games before the law changed and outlawed them for good.

Image result for super sprint nes

9 days ago
3/21/07

River City Ransom

9 days ago
6/3/09

Final Fantasy. 

9 days ago
6/29/11

Zelda

9 days ago
5/10/04

Wow... too many to pick just 1...

Final Fantasy

Both Zelda's

Iron Sword

Tyson's Punch Out

Skate or Die

Mission Impossible

Golgo 13 The Mafat Conspiracy

Rescue The Embassy Mission

Narc

Rush n Attack

North & South

BASE WARS !!!!

Mario Brothers 1,2,3 (using game genie with moon walking)

9 days ago
5/10/04

Honorable Mention to SEGA MASTER SYSTEM:

After Burner
Wonder Boy
Hang On
Altered Beast
Double Dragon
Fantasy Zone
Ghost House
9 days ago
11/20/09

It was Tengen who was doing everything they could to try to figure out Nintendo's lock code and figure out ways to find loopholes in their copyright.

Image result for tengen video games

9 days ago
5/10/04

I feel like I'm forgetting an important one...
9 days ago
11/20/09

9 days ago
11/20/09

9 days ago
11/20/09

This game was SO much fun.  First they had it in the arcades then they made it for NES.

Image result for off road racing nes