OtherGround Forums What was your favorite NES game?

6 days ago
3/9/07

I put so much goddamn time into the first two Ninga Guidans it's not even funny.  Thanks to the magic of YouTube I've now been able to see the final bosses and endings.

6 days ago
1/19/12
daglord -

Tecmo Super Bowl

Baseball Stars

Metal Gear

It took 3 pages in to mention the correct answer? Fuck. Although there were amazing games on NES, there can be only one...

6 days ago
6/8/10

I just put all 698(?) Nintendo games on my mini, I haven't played them yet, I plugged it in and started a few just to be sure everything worked. It's got games I've never heard of, one is Mario 10 where he's dressed like a ninja. 

6 days ago
3/9/07
Chimonos Revenge - Lol @ basewars

I always thought that game was dumb

What about Super Spike V'Ball? I wild eached a lot of that game.
You could play 4 player, with the 4-controller port thiny NES put out.

I didn't give a rats ass about volleyball as a kid, but that game was fun to play.

Is this the one with the soccer game you could lay out the other team from fouling?  We used to beat the shit out of the other teams.

6 days ago
1/12/15

Metal Gear

Baseball Stars

6 days ago
5/29/18
Jack Carter -
Helluvah Guy - 

I was only like 4 or maybe 5 but I remember playing Bill and Ted and not knowing what anything was about. Rembrandt lol.

720 got alot of play.

Bubble Bobble.

Contra.

Dick Tracy was cool as a kid.

Alot of these would probably suck balls now lol.

I'm barely up to the Es and had alot of those games.

Double Dragon might have been my favorite though.

Did you beat the dick tracy game?

No I had to have my older cousin help me with that shit haha

6 days ago
7/8/02

Nice to see TMNT getting some love. Great game. Huge levels. Lots of areas to explore. Good graphics. I was so pumped to finally beat that game I ran around my friend’s house at 1am screaming my head off haha. Still, probably doesn’t make my top 5. Gotta think on it

6 days ago
4/24/07
Helluvah Guy - 
David@accu -

So I was one of those kids who some how found himself with the worst of the NES library. My experience was basically around most if not all the shitty games. Wasn't till I started playing games with the new kid who just moved in did I learn about Jackal or Super Dodgeball. Same trend happened with Sega Genesis. Not only did I pick the lesser of the two 16 bit systems( my opinion) but I had a knack for being drawn to shit. I was even one of those idiots who got a 32x. Wasn't until N64/PSX/Dreamcast did I really have a good console experience. 

I was always partial to Wizards and Warriors on the NES. Luckily I never got the sequel with Fabio on the cover. 

Splatterhouse was one of my favorite genesis games looking back. And that was fucked for a kid to be playing lol

I liked the original. I still remember the first time seeing it in arcades and being amazed by it. The sequels we got on Genesis were decent at best. I'm not saying Genesis was a total bust, I am just saying looking back on the game libraries I think the SNES was much better in terms of quality. Genesis had a TON of trash games. Sega almost had no standards for what they would accept as playable and a game. Of course SF2, Mortal Kombat, General Chaos, ect were great but  you had 15 shitty ones that followed. The ration on SNES was much lower. They also produced less games I think.

6 days ago
4/24/07
onepunchJD - 
David@accu - 

So I was one of those kids who some how found himself with the worst of the NES library. My experience was basically around most if not all the shitty games. Wasn't till I started playing games with the new kid who just moved in did I learn about Jackal or Super Dodgeball. Same trend happened with Sega Genesis. Not only did I pick the lesser of the two 16 bit systems( my opinion) but I had a knack for being drawn to shit. I was even one of those idiots who got a 32x. Wasn't until N64/PSX/Dreamcast did I really have a good console experience. 

I was always partial to Wizards and Warriors on the NES. Luckily I never got the sequel with Fabio on the cover. 

The Genesis was great.
Street Fighter 2 champions edition and Wonder Boy in Monster World alone made it worth it. The Sonic games were cool too.

Of course, SNES had Zelda Link To The Past -- one of the best Zelda games!

Iron Sword, Wizards and Warriors 2 -- was an awesome game!! Yes, Fabio on the cover LOL.

I tried it again not too long ago and I am still glad I stopped with the first one.  It's infinitely more harder. 

6 days ago
5/29/18
David@accu -
Helluvah Guy - 
David@accu -

Splatterhouse was one of my favorite genesis games looking back. And that was fucked for a kid to be playing lol

I liked the original. I still remember the first time seeing it in arcades and being amazed by it. The sequels we got on Genesis were decent at best. I'm not saying Genesis was a total bust, I am just saying looking back on the game libraries I think the SNES was much better in terms of quality. Genesis had a TON of trash games. Sega almost had no standards for what they would accept as playable and a game. Of course SF2, Mortal Kombat, General Chaos, ect were great but  you had 15 shitty ones that followed. The ration on SNES was much lower. They also produced less games I think.

I agee. SNES had it beat. But GameGear tho

6 days ago
9/14/02
Chimonos Revenge - 

A WINNER IS YOU
6 days ago
4/6/09

Lolo was the best puzzle game 

6 days ago
5/10/04
David@accu - 
onepunchJD - 
David@accu - 

The Genesis was great.
Street Fighter 2 champions edition and Wonder Boy in Monster World alone made it worth it. The Sonic games were cool too.

Of course, SNES had Zelda Link To The Past -- one of the best Zelda games!

Iron Sword, Wizards and Warriors 2 -- was an awesome game!! Yes, Fabio on the cover LOL.

I tried it again not too long ago and I am still glad I stopped with the first one.  It's infinitely more harder. 

Well.. there is also a bit of nostalgia with me and Iron Sword.

I'll always love it:)
6 days ago
10/21/09

Kirby's Adventure and Mario 3 are the best games.

6 days ago
11/20/09
Jack Carter - 
Helluvah Guy - 

I was only like 4 or maybe 5 but I remember playing Bill and Ted and not knowing what anything was about. Rembrandt lol.

720 got alot of play.

Bubble Bobble.

Contra.

Dick Tracy was cool as a kid.

Alot of these would probably suck balls now lol.

I'm barely up to the Es and had alot of those games.

Double Dragon might have been my favorite though.

Did you beat the dick tracy game?

oh man I remember that game!  That was fun but so challenging.  I feel some of the challenges were b/c I was a kid and didn't have common knowledge that probably would have helped me put the clues together.

6 days ago
1/19/12
onepunchJD -
Chimonos Revenge - Lol @ basewars

I always thought that game was dumb

What about Super Spike V'Ball? I wild eached a lot of that game.
You could play 4 player, with the 4-controller port thiny NES put out.

I didn't give a rats ass about volleyball as a kid, but that game was fun to play.

Well so far at least 3 of us disagree with you about The Great BASEWARS!

You missed out.

I love how the saucer dude sometimes bounced up and down on the tank’s head, when they fought LOL

6 days ago
11/28/09
jasperb -

I just put all 698(?) Nintendo games on my mini, I haven't played them yet, I plugged it in and started a few just to be sure everything worked. It's got games I've never heard of, one is Mario 10 where he's dressed like a ninja. 

That’s not a real game, homie.

6 days ago
11/20/09

California Games NES

6 days ago
1/1/01
I didn't get in until Super Nintendo, but I played a ton of Super Mario Bros 3 on Mario All-stars.
6 days ago
7/26/07

Mario 3 isnt just the best nes game, but one of the best video games period.

6 days ago
7/8/02

5- NES Open. Super underrated golf game. One of the great NES sports games. Realistic, deeper than expected and a lot of fun.

4- Super Mario Bros 3. 

3- Tecmo Bowl. Not as in depth as Tecmo Super Bowl. Lacks the stat keeping, play changing etc that the second game had. Different type of game really. The simplicity of the game made it very strategic. 4 plays to pick from meant only 4 plays to defend. A lot of mind fuckery going on between players who knew how to play. 

2- Tecmo Super Bowl. Phenomenal game. So far ahead of its time. Still a great football game to this day. Still has a pretty big following and there’s a group that re-releases this game year after year with modern day rosters on NES cartridges.

1- Baseball Stars. Still the best.

6 days ago
9/11/13

Double Dragon 2, Mario Bros 3, Excitebike, Contra

6 days ago
5/14/06

Zelda easily for me. Can still see that gold cartridge coming out of the box. 

6 days ago
7/30/10

Contra

Mario Bros

Gauntlet

Zelda

Dragon Warrior

6 days ago
7/8/02

Anyone ever play Famicom Wars? Precursor to advance wars. Only available in Japan. Amazing that this game was on the NES. Turn based war game. Brilliant gameplay mechanics. Only problem I’m finding is the computer take forever, upwards of 10 minutes to make a move.

Play the system now, years later, you realize how many games were complete turds. The games I’m putting the most time into right now are Famicom Wars, NES Open, Double Dragon and 1943