OtherGround Forums What will you do about climate change?

Edited: 29 days ago
1/1/01

* Couldn't change the thread title before it got locked in.

Thread should be "What will you have to do because of climate change?"

No politics here.

Don't care if you think people are the problem or not.

North America's climate has changed in the last twenty years, yes? More big storms. Lots of wild fires. Droughts. Floods. Weird cold weather in places that don't get cold and weird hot weather in places that don't normally get hot. Etc.

For example, I live on Cape Cod.  We had two tornadoes this year.  As far as anyone can tell that's never happened here before. So... I guess if we keep having tornadoes we start making plans for evacuation sirens and underground shelters and other new stuff.

What, if any, changes will be made where you live because of climate change? 

29 days ago
3/14/04
I'll turn on the AC more often.
29 days ago
9/13/02

nothing. don't care.

as long as china and india are doing their thing nothing we do in the states matters. and corporations do far more to damage the earth than i could do on my best day. stop nestle from pillaging the earth water resources for 24 hours and i might give a shit.

29 days ago
1/1/01

I for one cant wait for the government to tax us to finally stop global warming.

29 days ago
12/15/11

Nothing...I'll Do Nothing!

29 days ago
3/21/12
Might move further north, that's about it.
29 days ago
1/1/01

If myself and every American would kill just 7 Indiana and/or Chinese, these problems would go away because guess what country has reduced CO2 emissions and what to have increased it immensely in the past decade

29 days ago
1/18/12

Yo... They want to fucking abandon Jakarta due to pollution.   Nothing i do makes a lick of difference. 

I also give zero fucks

29 days ago
4/24/07

I will give over every paycheck to leftists, hold up signs, TYPE IN ALL CAPS ON THE INTERNET AT NON BELIEVERS, yell at people who don't agree with me, you know the hard stuff that really fixes the problems that are suggested. 

29 days ago
11/28/08

Embrace nihilism.

1/1/01
Mr. Wright - 

nothing. don't care.

as long as china and india are doing their thing nothing we do in the states matters. and corporations do far more to damage the earth than i could do on my best day. stop nestle from pillaging the earth water resources for 24 hours and i might give a shit.

Okay... but I don't think I was clear with my question.  I'm not asking what you will do to stop climate change, I am asking what will you have to do because of climate change?

Texas folks got crazy rain and now some have flooded homes.  For at least one OGer, this is the second time this has happened in two years where as prior to that it hadn't happened in the 20 years they've lived there.  Accordingly, I would think if it happens again you probably have to make some notable changes to the property... or move.

So what might you have to do differently because of climate change?

29 days ago
9/13/02
FatChrist Magic -
Mr. Wright - 

nothing. don't care.

Okay... but I don't think I was clear with my question.  I'm not asking what you will do to stop climate change, I am asking what will you have to do because of climate change?

Texas folks got crazy rain and now some have flooded homes.  For at least one OGer, this is the second time this has happened in two years where as prior to that it hadn't happened in the 20 years they've lived there.  Accordingly, I would think if it happens again you probably have to make some notable changes to the property... or move.

nothing.

i live 1.5 miles from the pacific ocean. my house is about 6 feet above sea level. 

guess what, 35 years ago when my parents moved into this neighborhood the house was about 6 feet above sea level.

i am 100% sure that my house will NEVER be affected by climate change.

as far as weather is concerned i live in a pretty temperate climate. last few years were the hottest septembers on record, everyone acted like 2019 it was going to be like opening my front door to an oven in september.

this year? 3-5 degrees below last year on average. 

so, i'm not worried in any way/shape/form about having to change how i live because of "climate change"

1/1/01

^ No big storms? No danger from wild fires or anything like that? Droughts?

29 days ago
11/11/14

I do my part by urinating in the sink and not in the toilet

29 days ago
1/1/01

Laugh

29 days ago
4/24/07
FatChrist Magic - 
Mr. Wright - 

nothing. don't care.

This is part of the problem with the discussion. Something terrible happens and people automatically assume its "Climate Change" that caused it. Correlation does not imply causation. There is no proof that without "Climate Change" the heavy rains or floods wouldn't have still happened. This is also what turns the VAST majority of people away from such theories. 

Half of what people imply is caused by "Climate Change" you would need some sort of time machine with the capability of visiting alternate realities to confirm. You would have to be able to prove that without Climate Change increased rains would stop. That doesn't mean that Climate Change doesn't cause increased rains only that if we stopped what causes Climate Change these things wouldn't happen. 

Even with the worsing of storms, the temp rising and so on. These are all things that have happened repeatedly millions of times before humans ever existed. They have also done the reverse. I'm not denying "Climate Change" exists but we need to reign in what is fact and what are political talking points. We also have to be careful what we try to apply as being caused by "Climate Change". On  a planetary scale its near impossible to prove "Without A, B would never happen." "B" might happen regardless. "B" might happen on a 10000 year cycle. There are 1001 reasons why "B" might happen despite "A" never existing. 

I have always thought that we could dispense with the entire idea of "Climate Change" as it's too political. It's easier to attack "pollution" as everyone agree's they don't want pollution and it being one or maybe the single cause of "Climate Change" we can get behind curbing it. We can look at cities like LA and others in countries like China and India and see the smog build up where citizens need to wear masks so they don't develop black lung or whatever nasty diseases follow. Everyone wants clean oceans, clean air etc. It's something we can get behind and the greatest part the majority of how we curb it doesn't include absurd idea's like the "Green New Deal". I don't disagree that we need to move away from fossil fuels and create less of a carbon foot print. Those are actually great ideas I can support. We as humans have this problem of over complicating issues to the point it causes massive rifts in society. There are far better ways of going about it.

To your actual point, I won't have to do anything for "Climate Change" as I have not seen any data to suggest its the sole reason for the increase in bad weather phenomenon. If whats being suggested is actually true, there is no escaping it. You might be able to move to a less populated area but that will only last as long as others don't get the same idea. 

29 days ago
7/14/16

I'm gonna help out by opening all of my windows and turning the AC on full blast. The electric bill will go up a bit, but I'm willing to eat the cost to help out the global warming thing. I'll do this in my truck as well. Every little bit helps!

29 days ago
12/1/05
Stronghold - 

If myself and every American would kill just 7 Indiana and/or Chinese, these problems would go away because guess what country has reduced CO2 emissions and what to have increased it immensely in the past decade

I don't know what Indiana has to do with it, but that's gonna be a lot easier for me than killing several Chinese.

*racks shotgun, heads to indiana*.  

29 days ago
9/13/02
FatChrist Magic -

big storms? nope.

wild fires? nope, i live in a residential area with literally ZERO chance of a wild fire.

as far as droughts go, i live in temperate desert environment. saving water and being concious of water usage is a way of life. but, in a worst case scenario, i know i can pay a drilling company about 1500 bucks to drill me a water well. 

and i live so close to the ocean that if i needed to i could take 100 gallons of sea water a day if i wanted and distill it. but if things get that bad i don't think fresh water is going to be my biggest issue.

29 days ago
1/1/01
Dirtywhiteboy -
Stronghold - 

I don't know what Indiana has to do with it, but that's gonna be a lot easier for me than killing several Chinese.

*racks shotgun, heads to indiana*.  

I luv autocorrect... India.. Indiana... Screw all of those polluting bastid

29 days ago
3/14/04
BZtown10 - 

Im waiting for our gods Merck and GSK to make a perfect climate change vaccine.   Everyone will be saved.   

The vaccine will be released shortly after they release the climate change virus they're secretly working on.
29 days ago
6/5/03
FatChrist Magic -

Right!?!  Those never happened in the past!

7/4/11
Soup and Beer -

I for one cant wait for the government to tax us to finally stop global warming.

It's not you who should be taxed, it's corporations that create negative third party externalities that harm citizens who've neither benefitted not been remotely invovled from the corporation's activities. The idea of levying fines or taxes directly related to environmental pollution is to attempt to capitalize these ignored costs while simultaneously deterring future behavior. There's a nation-wide cost for certain methods of production or energy sources and this cost should be capitalized to help bridge the differential between costs and risks associated with emerging tech, e.g. renewable sources, and traditional tech that harms third parties.

I also already love some of these responses. Even if you're being aboslutely blind and refuse to accept that humans are having *any* impact on global warming and the consequent climate changes, then you still need to accept that there is significant climate change occuring and that this will require new technology to handle and will disrupt current methods of production. The irony to me is that even major corporations acknolwedge these risks and the need for change (not only consumable companies like Coca Cola, but even Exxon and Shell acknowledged the risks of anthropogenic global warming from their own internal research as far back as the 80s), so when a purely profit driven entity recognizes these risks and keeps it internal (so not a PR issue) then what do you think their reasoning is?

29 days ago
11/27/02
"Even if you're being aboslutely blind and refuse to accept that humans are having *any* impact on global warming and the consequent climate changes, then you still need to accept that there is significant climate change occuring and that this will require new technology to handle and will disrupt current methods of production"

None of this is true.
29 days ago
2/2/15
FatChrist Magic -

* Couldn't change the thread title before it got locked in.

Thread should be "What will you have to do because of climate change?"

No politics here.

Don't care if you think people are the problem or not.

North America's climate has changed in the last twenty years, yes? More big storms. Lots of wild fires. Droughts. Floods. Weird cold weather in places that don't get cold and weird hot weather in places that don't normally get hot. Etc.

For example, I live on Cape Cod.  We had two tornadoes this year.  As far as anyone can tell that's never happened here before. So... I guess if we keep having tornadoes we start making plans for evacuation sirens and underground shelters and other new stuff.

What, if any, changes will be made where you live because of climate change? 

Never happened there before? How long have you been alive? How old is the earth?