OtherGround Forums What’s your go-to cocktail?

8/22/19 5:23 PM
1/1/01

I like a plain margarita. 

Juice of 1 lime, 1 oz Contreau or Grand Marnier or Curaçao, 2 oz tequila (aged - reposado or anejo) on ice.  

Bombay Sapphire gin and tonic

Good whiskey, neat. 

8/22/19 5:28 PM
1/1/01

G&T made with bombay sapphire

Cuba libre

Edited: 8/22/19 5:32 PM
4/13/12
MarsMan -
PuraVida76 - Ketel One and soda..just a lemon...thanks, honey.

I read somewhere that vodka exists to make other things alcoholic. 

Not sure I totally agree with that but it seems to be true for Ketel One... It really feels like it has no taste or aroma whatsoever. 

per the encyclopedia britanica:  Vodka, distilled liquor, clear in colour and without definite aroma or taste, ranging in alcoholic content from about 40 to 55 percent.

i avoid it as it doesn't add anything to the drink but alcohol.  it's a great pan deglazer though.  evaporates faster than water and is flavorless.

Edited: 8/22/19 8:09 PM
1/1/01

Spice Islands Summer Shan-tini

Pilsner beer, Creme de menthe & Tawny Port, served  over crushed ice in a cocoanut

Garnish with a olives and a cinnamon stick. Schizophrenic dude I knew invented it.

--SOOO good!

8/22/19 5:41 PM
1/1/01

Summer - 

Gin and Tonic - 2 Oz Hendricks or Sheringham Gin and 3 Oz Fever Tree Tonic.

Sazerac - 2Oz Rye, Splash Pernod, 2 dashes Peychaud Bitters, 1tsp sugar, lemon peel.

Winter - 

Penicillin (variation on whisky sour) - 2 Oz blended scotch, 1 Oz Lemon Juice, 3/4 Oz Honey Ginger Syrup, 1/4 Oz smokey Islay Scotch (like Laphroaig). 

8/22/19 5:55 PM
12/18/03
EFM -
MarsMan -

Not sure I totally agree with that but it seems to be true for Ketel One... It really feels like it has no taste or aroma whatsoever. 

per the encyclopedia britanica:  Vodka, distilled liquor, clear in colour and without definite aroma or taste, ranging in alcoholic content from about 40 to 55 percent.

i avoid it as it doesn't add anything to the drink but alcohol.  it's a great pan deglazer though.  evaporates faster than water and is flavorless.

I can definitely feel taste and aroma with other vodkas, especially Ciroc which is distilled from grapes.

Ketel One felt boring. 

8/22/19 6:48 PM
4/13/12
MarsMan -
EFM -
MarsMan -

I can definitely feel taste and aroma with other vodkas, especially Ciroc which is distilled from grapes.

Ketel One felt boring. 

all vodka is boring in my opinion.  it's like comparing different kinds of water.  is there a difference, sure.  does it matter in a cocktail,no.  in fact, the ice you use probably has a bigger impact.  not that you have to get crazy about your ice, but you don't want to use the ice you've had in the freezer for a month.  ice actually can take on all kinds of odors.

8/22/19 7:06 PM
9/26/10

Gin & Tonic. I often prefer the house or well gin to top shelf. But I never specify. 

Vodka & Grapefruit, which I think is referred to as a greyhound or a salty dog when the glass is salted. 

8/22/19 7:16 PM
9/4/12

Dirty vodka martini, extra dirty

8/22/19 7:19 PM
2/25/17

Whiskey old fashioned sour

8/22/19 7:22 PM
2/25/17
ThisSiteSucks - old fashioned (or for fall/winter an old fashioned made with maple syrup and black walnut bitters)

You and I should just fuck and get it over with

8/22/19 7:25 PM
10/26/18

Manhattan, up

8/22/19 7:39 PM
1/1/09
MarsMan -

That is mostly true for for most palettes I would imagine. It’s probably why I have an ice water and lemon with it as the same time, I like the flavor. Also I’m Polish and drink to get drunk, and it’s also the fewest calories and carbs of the majority of drinks. At 42 I don’t want a hangover and Ketel never gives me one. 

8/22/19 7:41 PM
9/27/12

Old Fashioned 

Best damn drink they got 

8/22/19 7:44 PM
5/14/08
EFM - 
MarsMan -
EFM -
MarsMan -

Ketel One felt boring. 

all vodka is boring in my opinion.  it's like comparing different kinds of water.  is there a difference, sure.  does it matter in a cocktail,no.  in fact, the ice you use probably has a bigger impact.  not that you have to get crazy about your ice, but you don't want to use the ice you've had in the freezer for a month.  ice actually can take on all kinds of odors.

Hmmmm I have a bunch of ice molds for whisky in my freezer. I havent noticed any issues with flavor but I am going to start paying attention and see if I need to make new ones more often.

8/22/19 8:12 PM
6/26/06

Sazerac

old fashioned

scofflaw

yes all my cocktails are rye whiskey

8/22/19 8:15 PM
1/1/01

Bombay Sapphire gin and tonic with lime.

8/22/19 8:30 PM
4/13/12
Submissable -
EFM - 
MarsMan -
EFM -
MarsMan -

Ketel One felt boring. 

Hmmmm I have a bunch of ice molds for whisky in my freezer. I havent noticed any issues with flavor but I am going to start paying attention and see if I need to make new ones more often.

could depend on the mold too.  if it's completely covered, it could protect the ice from absorbing odors.  i meant the ice tray really.  there's lots of opinions out there on ice but from what i've read, and what seems to make the most sense, is that you typically just use the ice on top that gets replaced all the time while the ice on the bottom can stay for months and then you have a party and boom.  your putting old ice, that's been absorbing minor odors from food for weeks, into cocktails.

like i said, it doesn't have to be special, just something to be aware of.  empty your ice tray several days before a party or go get a bag instead.

8/22/19 8:59 PM
5/14/08
EFM -
Submissable -
EFM - 
MarsMan -
EFM -
MarsMan -

Ketel One felt boring. 

could depend on the mold too.  if it's completely covered, it could protect the ice from absorbing odors.  i meant the ice tray really.  there's lots of opinions out there on ice but from what i've read, and what seems to make the most sense, is that you typically just use the ice on top that gets replaced all the time while the ice on the bottom can stay for months and then you have a party and boom.  your putting old ice, that's been absorbing minor odors from food for weeks, into cocktails.

like i said, it doesn't have to be special, just something to be aware of.  empty your ice tray several days before a party or go get a bag instead.

Makes sense. My molds are silicone/rubber and enclosed but I’m still gonna start paying attention. Sometimes they sit in there for more than a month. 

8/22/19 9:05 PM
2/13/07

Shit bar = whiskey sour

better = Manhattan 

good = old fashioned. 

Edited: 8/22/19 9:40 PM
4/9/19

Gin and tonic.  

I agree with above.  If it's a good bar, an old fashioned.

8/22/19 10:02 PM
12/18/03
Scotttbu -
ThisSiteSucks - old fashioned (or for fall/winter an old fashioned made with maple syrup and black walnut bitters)

You and I should just fuck and get it over with

Threesome?

I swear I make that very old fashioned at home. 

8/22/19 10:04 PM
3/24/14

Old fashioned with rye

8/22/19 11:04 PM
12/9/13

An old fashioned from a good place is hard to beat, but shitty bars make them really shitty.

G and t is hard to fuck up so I go with that at cheap places.

I like woodford reserve on the rocks when I’m feeling froggy.

8/22/19 11:07 PM
1/19/14

Bourbon, neat. 

Oh cocktail? Bourbon, one cube.