OtherGround Forums When Ricky Gervais had a boxing match!

Edited: 11 days ago
5/19/17

This was a fly on the wall documentary from 2002.  Just when Gervais was becoming famous because The Office.

The premise was a charity boxing match featuring Gervais, and Grant Bovey ( D list celebrity famous for being married to someone famous).  As I recall the documetary follows their training and leads to the big fight.

I just remembered this today, so I think I will watch it later.  I think the fight turned out to be a hugging farce, but I cant quite remember.  I will watch and see.  Anyway thought I would share.

11 days ago
11/15/04

I like Gervais, will check it out. 

PS good to see you can make threads other than Covid19 topics. VU. 

11 days ago
1/1/01

Gervais should rename himself Jerry Goldsman

11 days ago
5/19/17
LiveWire - 

I like Gervais, will check it out. 

PS good to see you can make threads other than Covid19 topics. VU. 

No problem.  I knew a couple of people who were sick, so it was on my mind a lot.  Thankfully they got well again.

11 days ago
5/19/17

Also, see the guy in the thumbnail.  That is Frank Maloney.  Former manager who had many famous fighters including Lennox Lewis.  This is him now:

Left

11 days ago
1/1/01

What the fuck

11 days ago
5/19/17

Edited: 11 days ago
5/19/17

"Kellie Maloney has revealed she attempted suicide after fearing she had ruined her children's lives.

The former boxing promoter, who made the decision to transition from Frank back in 2014, tried to take her life last October.

Instead of going home she went out to a restaurant and drank more wine before returning home on that fateful night.

She said: "I went to bed and luckily I had my ex-counsellor Jan staying with me. I started looking at pictures of me as Frank and thought have I messed up my children’s life? Tracey’s life?
"I just thought...madness of insanity I'd say. That point where you do attempt [suicide] you are actually insane.
"I don’t know what it was. It was dark. My dogs were laying in my bedroom close to me. I wasn’t thinking straight.

"I started taking all these different pills and was drinking wine straight from the bottle. I ran out of wine so went to the fridge. Jan must have heard me, she didn’t say anything just stood behind me. I picked up another bottle.
"My eldest dog was in the loving room. I went to stoke him to say goodbye. I don’t know why. Then I passed out. The next thing I knew I woke up in hospital."

11 days ago
5/19/17
DY2 - 

This was a fly on the wall documentary from 2002.  Just when Gervais was becoming famous because The Office.

The premise was a charity boxing match featuring Gervais, and Grant Bovey ( D list celebrity famous for being married to someone famous).  As I recall the documetary follows their training and leads to the big fight.

I just remembered this today, so I think I will watch it later.  I think the fight turned out to be a hugging farce, but I cant quite remember.  I will watch and see.  Anyway thought I would share.

It was actually better than i remembered.  the fight was sloppy as hell, but quite combative at least.

11 days ago
8/22/14

Little fucker has a bit of go in him.

He could be a handful in a streetfight. If you can't shut his lights off and he just keeps coming he can cause problems for even for someone with far better technique. 

11 days ago
6/5/02

Frank Maloney is a piece of shit who pressured Darren Sutherland into killing himself.

Darren was a lovely lad and back in the mid 2000s he was one of the three top prospects in the UK and Ireland to turn pro after the olympics - the other two being DeGale and Groves (I know Groves didn’t go to the olympics...)

He wasn’t up to it though and didn’t want to be a pro and Maloney strong armed him and threatened to sue him/ruin him for the money he’d invested in coaches etc

Darren ended up killing himself over it - Maloney actually turned up at the funeral and Darrens parents kicked off

11 days ago
2/14/11
LordSeano -

Frank Maloney is a piece of shit who pressured Darren Sutherland into killing himself.

Darren was a lovely lad and back in the mid 2000s he was one of the three top prospects in the UK and Ireland to turn pro after the olympics - the other two being DeGale and Groves (I know Groves didn’t go to the olympics...)

He wasn’t up to it though and didn’t want to be a pro and Maloney strong armed him and threatened to sue him/ruin him for the money he’d invested in coaches etc

Darren ended up killing himself over it - Maloney actually turned up at the funeral and Darrens parents kicked off

**Kellie Maloney**

11 days ago
5/19/17
LordSeano - 

Yeah, so I vaguely remember this.   I am not certain of the specifics though.  It seems a bit strong to say, "who pressured Darren Sutherland into killing himself."            

I mean maybe it wasnt the right thing to do,  but surely he was pressuring the enforcement of a contract rather than anything malcious?

I wonder if this incident led to the tranny thing.  A way to hide?  To be something different.  Guilt fucking with him?

11 days ago
2/25/15
DY2 -
LordSeano - 

Yeah, so I vaguely remember this.   I am not certain of the specifics though.  It seems a bit strong to say, "who pressured Darren Sutherland into killing himself."            

I mean maybe it wasnt the right thing to do,  but surely he was pressuring the enforcement of a contract rather than anything malcious?

I wonder if this incident led to the tranny thing.  A way to hide?  To be something different.  Guilt fucking with him?

I might be wrong but I don’t think amateur boxers here (UK) can’t sign pre agreements and still compete as an ameteur. 

11 days ago
6/5/02
kingj03 -
DY2 -
LordSeano - 

I might be wrong but I don’t think amateur boxers here (UK) can’t sign pre agreements and still compete as an ameteur. 

He’d turned pro at this stage - he was 4-0 when he died.

I was training at the same gym as Darren at the time and so a lot of the lads knew the situation very closely. 

He didn’t pressure him in the sense of ‘you need to kill yourself’ but he absolutely threatened to ruin him if he quit boxing. Darren had a lot of issues and his heart was really not in being a pro boxer - but Maloneys behaviour towards him absolutely contributed to him killing himself

10 days ago
5/19/17
LordSeano - 
kingj03 -
DY2 -
LordSeano - 

He’d turned pro at this stage - he was 4-0 when he died.

I was training at the same gym as Darren at the time and so a lot of the lads knew the situation very closely. 

He didn’t pressure him in the sense of ‘you need to kill yourself’ but he absolutely threatened to ruin him if he quit boxing. Darren had a lot of issues and his heart was really not in being a pro boxer - but Maloneys behaviour towards him absolutely contributed to him killing himself

"but he absolutely threatened to ruin him if he quit boxing".  

If that is true it really is disgusting.  It would be understandable if Darren was trying to move to another promoter.  But if he just wanted to stop fighting?  Jesus.

I wonder if that is what sent Frank over the edge.  The guilt.

10 days ago
6/5/02

Wouldn’t surprise me - Maloney saw Darren as his meal ticket and next big fighter. He got bronze in the Olympics but had a much more pro ready of fighting and a number of people saw him as the best professional prospect of the three of DeGale and Groves despite DeGale handling him fairly easy in the Olympic semi.

Maloney has a heart attack when he found him and wouldn’t surprise me if he had a breakdown over it leading to his mental Kellie situation

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/boxing/9139506/Hanged-boxer-feared-manager-would-ruin-his-life-if-he-quit-fighting-inquest-told.html

10 days ago
5/19/17
LordSeano - 

Wouldn’t surprise me - Maloney saw Darren as his meal ticket and next big fighter. He got bronze in the Olympics but had a much more pro ready of fighting and a number of people saw him as the best professional prospect of the three of DeGale and Groves despite DeGale handling him fairly easy in the Olympic semi.

Maloney has a heart attack when he found him and wouldn’t surprise me if he had a breakdown over it leading to his mental Kellie situation

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/olympics/boxing/9139506/Hanged-boxer-feared-manager-would-ruin-his-life-if-he-quit-fighting-inquest-told.html

wow.  I guess it must have pissed you off when Maloney turned up as Kelly, on big brother, and he is made out to be some sort of sympathy case/'brave' hero.

10 days ago
2/25/15
LordSeano -

Did they ever figure out why his hands were tied?