OtherGround Forums Where does Patrick Ewing rank on 90s

12 days ago
2/9/09

Centers?

There is 

Shaq, Olijuwan (spelling), and David Robinson? 

so maybe 4th? Unless Im forgetting someone?

12 days ago
1/5/07
Him and Zo round out the top 5 of the decade.
12 days ago
10/10/02

He played 3 more years than David, but their numbers are almost identical. Totals and avg, David has way more accolades tho.

he would be 4th on that list for sure.

12 days ago
2/9/09
B Sharps - Him and Zo round out the top 5 of the decade.

Forgot about Alonzo! 

12 days ago
6/8/10

My top 5 for 90's era centers would be

1. Hakeem

2. Shaq

3. David Robinson

4. Ewing

5. I'm torn between Zo and Mt Mutombo but I'd say Zo.

They had very close defensive numbers but Zo had the offensive edge scoring almost 3k more points, when in reality he only had about 10-11 healthy seasons. He played probably close to 400 less games than Mutombo, and he had a ring so in going with Zo.

Edited: 12 days ago
1/1/01
#4 behind Dream, Admiral, and Shaq for sure.

Maybe ahead of Shaq if you're really just counting the 90s since Shaq was a rookie in '93 and his best season wasn't until 2000.

#5 is definitely Mutombo.
12 days ago
6/28/07

Shaq was a beast but Robinson was a better defender and FT shooter.

Akeem, Admiral, Shaq, Ewing, Mutombo over Zo.  Alonzo has better offense but Dikembe has superior playoff record, anchor denver historic upset vs sonics...took philly D to another level after the trade and reached the finals, was with the nets when they reached finals.

12 days ago
1/1/01

Ewing is 4th,  Mutumbo is probably better than Zo

12 days ago
9/10/10

12 days ago
9/10/10

ewing better than robinson, ewing was kinda like olajuwon but not as quick but good moves and good shooting

robinson just big guy that got easy buckets on breaks, and completely disappeared in playoffs in half court games

shaq like robinson but much more massive and could use size to get easy buckets in half game

i got

1 hakeem who was waaaaaaay better than number 2 shaq

2 shaq

3 ewing

4 robinson

5 smits, who was very underrated

6 alonzo, who was a very similiar player to david robinson

12 days ago
1/30/10

Ewing looks like he’s a dumb guy , not sure if it’s his eyes or what, he just doesn’t look that very smart ...This is just based on his looks, how he looks now..... I know he’s a smart guy and is doing great 

12 days ago
2/4/06

80's top 2, 90's maybe 4. He got old quick.

12 days ago
1/1/01
jasperb - 

1. Hakeem

2. Shaq

3. David Robinson

4. Ewing

They had very close defensive numbers but Zo had the offensive edge scoring almost 3k more points, when in reality he only had about 10-11 healthy seasons. He played probably close to 400 less games than Mutombo, and he had a ring so in going with Zo.

Solid rankings. I might even put Robinson at #2.

People forget Robinson wasn't able to join the NBA till he was 25, so he missed several prime years. Noobs only remember him after his back injury severely limited him. Robinson at his peak was a force of nature. Great scorer and one of the all-time great defensive centers. Didn't really have any weaknesses in his prime.

Ewing was excellent: a rugged defender and an amazing mid-range shooter. His stats didn't pop as much as some of the others, but his numbers were very good. Ewing was a generational type talent. We forget that now because he played during the golden age of centers.

12 days ago
1/1/01
beerbelly -

80's top 2, 90's maybe 4. He got old quick.

Yeah, the Bulls smacked him around in the 90s.

12 days ago
11/3/14

I'd also consider Rik Smits for top 5 or at least 10. Guy was a beast in the playoffs. 

12 days ago
9/10/10
boxy -
jasperb - 

1. Hakeem

2. Shaq

3. David Robinson

4. Ewing

People forget Robinson wasn't able to join the NBA till he was 25, so he missed several prime years. Noobs only remember him after his back injury severely limited him. Robinson at his peak was a force of nature. Great scorer and one of the all-time great defensive centers. Didn't really have any weaknesses in his prime.

Ewing was excellent: a rugged defender and an amazing mid-range shooter. His stats didn't pop as much as some of the others, but his numbers were very good. Ewing was a generational type talent. We forget that now because he played during the golden age of centers.

robinson had almost no shooting or post moves just big guy that ran the break and dunked, robinson was a great defensive presense and rebound guy, and great in transition, but on the money he disappeared

ewing had them beautiful drop step turnaround jumper, similiar to karl malone but smoother

Edited: 12 days ago
10/5/16

Luc Longley is top 5 with 3 rings

12 days ago
2/4/06
FartParcelExtraStrong -

No way, most passive agressive center ever. All of the talent and no killer drive. As a Twolves fan he drove me absolutly nuts. What a waste of a draft pick. He will forever be a complimentary pick, never worth his stock from where he was picked.

12 days ago
1/1/01

Unpopular opinion here , but Ewing was overrated .. 
You guys are correct though

1. Hakeem 2. Shaq 3. Robinson 4. Ewing (pre 1993), Zo from then on 5. Smidts 

The Ewing effect was real , man was a black hole and had lost 80% of his athleticism by 1994

12 days ago
10/5/16
beerbelly -
FartParcelExtraStrong -

No way, most passive agressive center ever. All of the talent and no killer drive. As a Twolves fan he drove me absolutly nuts. What a waste of a draft pick. He will forever be a complimentary pick, never worth his stock from where he was picked.

12 days ago
4/22/07

He was my favorite player as a kid. Dude could shoot for a big man.

12 days ago
1/1/01
kyleburkle -
boxy -
jasperb - 

1. Hakeem

2. Shaq

3. David Robinson

4. Ewing

robinson had almost no shooting or post moves just big guy that ran the break and dunked, robinson was a great defensive presense and rebound guy, and great in transition, but on the money he disappeared

ewing had them beautiful drop step turnaround jumper, similiar to karl malone but smoother

Robinson had as good of, or better, FG% away from the basket than Ewing.

12 days ago
9/18/02
Tim Duncan???
12 days ago
8/8/18

10 but with age he's become more of a 6

12 days ago
2/9/09
seek - Tim Duncan???

He was mainly a PF with Robinson playing C. Duncan also wasn't drafted until 97-98? I believe