OtherGround Forums Where does Patrick Ewing rank on 90s

7 days ago
7/13/09

Ewing over Robinson. Robinson was great at stats and a nice guy but got exposed in the playoffs as not having enough heart/meanness/toughness whatever you want to call it. Ewing had the 90s version of the Bad Boys they just couldn’t get past Jordan. 

7 days ago
6/1/07
Tim Duncan - 

Ewing is 4th,  Mutumbo is probably better than Zo

Mutombo was a great rim defender and rebounder, but Mourning was better at every other facet of the game. The difference between them defensively was fairly small, but the difference between them offensively was a gigantic chasm in Mourning's favor.

Mutombo had a grand total of one 15+ ppg season, and that came in his rookie year. Mourning only had one season BELOW 15 ppg prior to his kidney disease. He averaged over 20 ppg prior to missing the 2002/03 season with the illness.

Mourning was a much better player than Mutombo.
7 days ago
2/26/17

Vlade Divac needs to be an honorable mention. Not the best numbers but his passing abilities changed the way a lot of people think about centers

7 days ago
6/1/07
kyleburkle - 
boxy -
jasperb - 

My top 5 for 90's era centers would be

1. Hakeem

2. Shaq

3. David Robinson

4. Ewing

5. I'm torn between Zo and Mt Mutombo but I'd say Zo.

They had very close defensive numbers but Zo had the offensive edge scoring almost 3k more points, when in reality he only had about 10-11 healthy seasons. He played probably close to 400 less games than Mutombo, and he had a ring so in going with Zo.

Solid rankings. I might even put Robinson at #2.

People forget Robinson wasn't able to join the NBA till he was 25, so he missed several prime years. Noobs only remember him after his back injury severely limited him. Robinson at his peak was a force of nature. Great scorer and one of the all-time great defensive centers. Didn't really have any weaknesses in his prime.

Ewing was excellent: a rugged defender and an amazing mid-range shooter. His stats didn't pop as much as some of the others, but his numbers were very good. Ewing was a generational type talent. We forget that now because he played during the golden age of centers.

robinson had almost no shooting or post moves just big guy that ran the break and dunked, robinson was a great defensive presense and rebound guy, and great in transition, but on the money he disappeared

ewing had them beautiful drop step turnaround jumper, similiar to karl malone but smoother

WTF are you talking about?

The Admiral had a great midrange game. You don't lead the league in scoring with nothing but transition dunks. The Admiral took nearly 40% of his shots from outside 10', which is among the highest percentages of the great centers of his era.
7 days ago
6/1/07
Steve4192 - 
kyleburkle - 
boxy -
jasperb - 

1. Hakeem

2. Shaq

3. David Robinson

4. Ewing

They had very close defensive numbers but Zo had the offensive edge scoring almost 3k more points, when in reality he only had about 10-11 healthy seasons. He played probably close to 400 less games than Mutombo, and he had a ring so in going with Zo.

People forget Robinson wasn't able to join the NBA till he was 25, so he missed several prime years. Noobs only remember him after his back injury severely limited him. Robinson at his peak was a force of nature. Great scorer and one of the all-time great defensive centers. Didn't really have any weaknesses in his prime.

Ewing was excellent: a rugged defender and an amazing mid-range shooter. His stats didn't pop as much as some of the others, but his numbers were very good. Ewing was a generational type talent. We forget that now because he played during the golden age of centers.

robinson had almost no shooting or post moves just big guy that ran the break and dunked, robinson was a great defensive presense and rebound guy, and great in transition, but on the money he disappeared

ewing had them beautiful drop step turnaround jumper, similiar to karl malone but smoother

WTF are you talking about?

The Admiral had a great midrange game. You don't lead the league in scoring with nothing but transition dunks. The Admiral took nearly 40% of his shots from outside 10', which is among the highest percentages of the great centers of his era.

I will grant you though that the Admiral wasn't a great post-moves scorer. He was more of a facing the basket jump shooter in midrange than a guy with a lot of fancy post-moves. He got a lot of open looks in that range because his opponents were terrified of his athleticism and would rather give him an open 15 foot jumper than play him tight and wind up getting posterized on a dunk.
7 days ago
6/1/07
seekmurph - 

Vlade Divac needs to be an honorable mention. Not the best numbers but his passing abilities changed the way a lot of people think about centers

Hakeem, the Admiral, and Shaq were also very good passers. They all had multiple seasons with 3+ apg while guys like Ewing/Mourning/Mutombo were barely cracking 1 apg. Brad Daugherty was a pretty decent passer as well.
Edited: 7 days ago
1/1/01
That's not true. In his prime Ewing averaged 2-3 assists. Not incredible numbers but better than the average center.

Problem was prime Ewing had like zero supporting cast. It was mediocrities like Gerald Wilkins and Mark Jackson. By the time the Knicks were built into a serious contender he was already in his 30s.
7 days ago
6/1/07
Tomato Can - That's not true. In his prime Ewing averaged 2-3 assists. Not incredible numbers but better than the average center.

Problem was prime Ewing had like zero supporting cast. It was mediocrities like Gerald Wilkins and Mark Jackson. By the time the Knicks were built into a serious contender he was already in his 30s.

Ewing managed 3 apg on the nose once. He wasn't the same level of passer as guys like The Admiral, Hakeem, Shaq, and Vlade. But you are right that he was a step above guys like Mutombo and Mourning as a passer.
7 days ago
9/10/10
DonFrye_Fan -
kyleburkle -
boxy -
jasperb - 

1. Hakeem

2. Shaq

3. David Robinson

4. Ewing

Robinson had as good of, or better, FG% away from the basket than Ewing.

Dunks and layups

Ewing had way better shooting

7 days ago
6/1/07
kyleburkle - 
DonFrye_Fan -
kyleburkle -
boxy -
jasperb - 

1. Hakeem

2. Shaq

3. David Robinson

4. Ewing

Dunks and layups

This 'dunks and layups' narrative you are trying to tell about Robinson is pure bullshit.

Ewing was slightly better away from the basket, but the Admiral was no slouch. They were both well above-average from outside of 10' when compared to other big men. They both took just under 40% of their shots from outside 10', with Ewing being a bit better in the 10'-16' range and both of them being about equal in the 16'-3pt range. They both had excellent range for a center.
7 days ago
5/9/20

4th Behind Hakeem, Robinson, and Shaq. (In that order)  Ewing was a great Center in an era of the NBA when that position still mattered.

Edited: 7 days ago
11/9/10
Tomato Can - #4 behind Dream, Admiral, and Shaq for sure.

Maybe ahead of Shaq if you're really just counting the 90s since Shaq was a rookie in '93 and his best season wasn't until 2000.

#5 is definitely Mutombo.

Shaq was dominant from very early on, but his best days were definitely 2000-2005. Ewing for just the 90s would be third ahead of Shaq. 
Dream

Robinson

Ewing

Shaq

7 days ago
1/1/01
kyleburkle -
DonFrye_Fan -
kyleburkle -
boxy -
jasperb - 

1. Hakeem

2. Shaq

3. David Robinson

4. Ewing

Dunks and layups

Robinson was much better than Ewing.

7 days ago
7/27/04

Rony seikaly you bitches

7 days ago
5/9/20
Tim Duncan -
kyleburkle -
DonFrye_Fan -
kyleburkle -
boxy -
jasperb - 

1. Hakeem

2. Shaq

3. David Robinson

4. Ewing

Dunks and layups

Robinson was much better than Ewing.

Agree.

7 days ago
6/9/16

Patrick Ewing is positively Covid! 

Georgetown coach Patrick Ewing has tested positive for the coronavirus, the school announced Friday. The Hall of Famer is under care and isolated at a local hospital.

"I want to share that I have tested positive for COVID-19. This virus is serious and should not be taken lightly," Ewing said in a statement. "I want to encourage everyone to stay safe and take care of yourselves and your loved ones. Now more than ever, I want to thank the health care workers and everyone on the front lines. I'll be fine, and we will all get through this."

The school said Ewing is the only member of the Georgetown men's basketball program to have tested positive for the virus amid the ongoing pandemic.

Following his famed NBA playing career, Ewing took over as Georgetown's head coach in 2017 after spending 15 years as an assistant coach for four NBA franchises.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29211196/knicks-legend-georgetown-coach-patrick-ewing-tests-positive-coronavirus

7 days ago
8/23/11
The Closed Guard -

Centers?

There is 

Shaq, Olijuwan (spelling), and David Robinson? 

so maybe 4th? Unless Im forgetting someone?

plays thike this  is why Ewing never won 

7 days ago
8/23/11
JJitsu -

Ewing over Robinson. Robinson was great at stats and a nice guy but got exposed in the playoffs as not having enough heart/meanness/toughness whatever you want to call it. Ewing had the 90s version of the Bad Boys they just couldn’t get past Jordan. 

Sabonis was no slouch. 
wouid have liked to see him in his prime against those guys 

7 days ago
6/1/07
androb - 
JJitsu -

Sabonis was no slouch. 
wouid have liked to see him in his prime against those guys 

We'll never know how good Sabonis truly was since he didn't make it to the NBA until 1995 when he was already in his 30s. I would have loved to see the 20-something Sabonis who averaged 20-12-2-1-2 in Europe playing the NBA instead.
7 days ago
6/1/07
Sabonis Euro stats

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/players/arvydas-sabonis-1.html

One data point against Sabonis

https://www.basketball-reference.com/olympics/games/1992-08-06-USA-LTU

4-17 from the field for 11 points in 23 minutes against the Dream Team. Robinson and Ewing both outplayed him.
7 days ago
2/4/06

Underrated. Had no second star despite my love for John starks, he was a sixth man.

Hakeem had the edge but pat gave all it as good to all the best of em

Kevin Willis used to shit on him though

Rick. Smits was a pain in the ass

7 days ago
11/9/10
beerbelly -

80's top 2, 90's maybe 4. He got old quick.

He wouldn’t be in the top 2 in the 80s 

kareem

Olajuwon 

and then you can talk Ewing but Parish and Malone are in the discussion for being ahead of him. 

7 days ago
11/9/10
Steve4192 - Sabonis Euro stats

https://www.basketball-reference.com/international/players/arvydas-sabonis-1.html

4-17 from the field for 11 points in 23 minutes against the Dream Team. Robinson and Ewing both outplayed him.

No one including future nba all stars played well against the dream team. He didn’t exactly have a team full of top 50 all time players like the dream team. 

7 days ago
7/27/04
VinegarStrokes -
Steve4192 - Sabonis Euro stats

No one including future nba all stars played well against the dream team. He didn’t exactly have a team full of top 50 all time players like the dream team. 

except for a bunch of college kids

7 days ago
6/1/07
Sonester Sambo - 

Underrated. Had no second star despite my love for John starks, he was a sixth man.

Hakeem had the edge but pat gave all it as good to all the best of em

Kevin Willis used to shit on him though

Rick. Smits was a pain in the ass

Kevin Willis was fucking garbage on defense though. It always astounded me how a 7' tall 220-230 pound athletic center couldn't guard the rim AT ALL. Dude averaged 0.5 bpg in an era where good rim protectors were racking up 3, 4, or even 5 bpg.

There were guards who were more effective protecting the rim than Kevin Willis. 6'1" Dee Brown outblocked Willis in the 1993/94 season. Guys like Latrell Sprewell, Penny Hardaway, and Ron Harper outblocked him most years. Willis was just awful.