OtherGround Forums Where does Patrick Ewing rank on 90s

11 days ago
9/8/02

The worst center of all time was Duane Causwell. Guy was like 8 feet tall and could barely dunk. Couldn't shoot. I saw him score 7 points one night. You would have thought he just won the NBA Finals. 

11 days ago
2/9/09
Sonester Sambo -

Underrated. Had no second star despite my love for John starks, he was a sixth man.

Hakeem had the edge but pat gave all it as good to all the best of em

Kevin Willis used to shit on him though

Rick. Smits was a pain in the ass

Starks was awesome! 

11 days ago
7/27/04
Sonester Sambo -

Underrated. Had no second star despite my love for John starks, he was a sixth man.

Excuses,his squad had Anthony Mason, Oakley and Stark's made it to the finals in 94,and lost to Akeem who had no second star ,he had Thorpe,Vernon Maxwell,rookie Cassell and sophomore Horry.

What's his reason not making it back in 95?Losing to Reggie Miller and the dunking dutchman?

11 days ago
11/19/19

Zo was just a little guy

11 days ago
2/9/09
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -

Excuses,his squad had Anthony Mason, Oakley and Stark's made it to the finals in 94,and lost to Akeem who had no second star ,he had Thorpe,Vernon Maxwell,rookie Cassell and sophomore Horry.

What's his reason not making it back in 95?Losing to Reggie Miller and the dunking dutchman?

None of those guys were really "good" though. There was no Stockton/Malone, Jordan/Pippin chemistry

11 days ago
2/4/06
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -

You're underrating that pacers squad.

Ewing never had a legit second scorer.  I love starks but he wasn't a second and mase or oak were never scorers. 

Mase was a beast who could handle the ball but was not a scorer. 

11 days ago
5/2/02
White347LX -
beerbelly -

80's top 2, 90's maybe 4. He got old quick.

Yeah, the Bulls smacked him around in the 90s.

Early in the 90’s he was the quintessential center.  But like a lot of big guys he got old overnight.  

Funny that Zo is even in this conversation.  The fact that he is speaks to his ability.  He’s essentially a big PF rather than a true center.  

11 days ago
7/21/18
beerbelly -

80's top 2, 90's maybe 4. He got old quick.

He always looked really old 

11 days ago
3/19/04

Olajuwon
Robinson
Shaq
Ewing
Zo
Mutombo

Edited: 11 days ago
7/27/04
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -

Ewing never had a legit second scorer.  I love starks but he wasn't a second and mase or oak were never scorers. 

You're overrating the squad,94 Knicks had Ewing scoring 25ppg,Stark's at 19 ppg and three others scoring 10ppg

Hakeem was scoring 27 ppg,Thorpe at 14 ppg and three others at 10ppg

95 pacers had Miller at 19.6 ppg,Dunkin Dutchman at 18ppg and three others at 10ppg.

11 days ago
2/4/06
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -

You're overrating the squad,94 Knicks had Ewing scoring 25ppg,Stark's at 19 ppg and three others scoring 10ppg

95 pacers had Miller at 19.6 ppg,Dunkin Dutchman at 18ppg and three others at 10ppg.

So when Jordan calls the pacers his toughest comp, was he overeating them also?

I hated the pacers, fuck it I'm not defending that team anymore 

11 days ago
7/27/04
Canooke -

Olajuwon
Robinson
Shaq
Ewing
Zo
Mutombo

This is correct,Zo's heat years he was elite imo

11 days ago
2/4/06
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -

You're comparing team quality based solely on individual ppg? 

11 days ago
1/1/01
EKPOGI -
Steve4192 -
Sonester Sambo - 

Kevin Willis was fucking garbage on defense though. It always astounded me how a 7' tall 220-230 pound athletic center couldn't guard the rim AT ALL. Dude averaged 0.5 bpg in an era where good rim protectors were racking up 3, 4, or even 5 bpg.

There were guards who were more effective protecting the rim than Kevin Willis. 6'1" Dee Brown outblocked Willis in the 1993/94 season. Guys like Latrell Sprewell, Penny Hardaway, and Ron Harper outblocked him most years. Willis was just awful.

Steve Kerr had a story about 42-year old Kevin Willis. A guy behind the bench said, "Hey Willis, are you single? My grandma kinda likes ya.".

Willis, weight room wise was the strongest guy in the league at one point. He was bending 400 and for a basketball player with those long arms, that’s a pretty much unheard of number 

11 days ago
7/27/04
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -

So when Jordan calls the pacers his toughest comp, was he overeating them also?

I hated the pacers, fuck it I'm not defending that team anymore 

I don't think Jordan was overrating them at all

11 days ago
7/27/04
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -

Well you brought up not having an elite second scorer as excuse for Ewing when he had his second highest scorer scoring as much as Reggie Miller who beat them in 95.

11 days ago
7/27/04
The Closed Guard -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -

None of those guys were really "good" though. There was no Stockton/Malone, Jordan/Pippin chemistry

Again excuses.good enough to make the finals as a team in 94,and lost to another team who had an elite center with no second star,while Ewing second highest scorer was at 19ppg

11 days ago
2/4/06
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -

Well you brought up not having an elite second scorer as excuse for Ewing when he had his second highest scorer scoring as much as Reggie Miller who beat them in 95.

Who would you rather have as a second if you were an elite NBA star. 

Smits or starks 

11 days ago
2/4/06
EKPOGI -
The Closed Guard -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -

Again excuses.good enough to make the finals as a team in 94,and lost to another team who had an elite center with no second star,while Ewing second highest scorer was at 19ppg

Elite center with no second star

Hakeem vernon maxwell Robert Horry kenny Smith and Co were legit 

Ewing starks and an old ass Derek harper. Cmon bro

Plus I won't argue Hakeem > Ewing 

11 days ago
7/27/04
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -

Smits or starks 

Depends on who I am?if I'm Ewing why would I pick Smits?If I'm Miller why would I pick Stark's?

Are we going to have imagination now instead of going by what happened?

11 days ago
7/27/04
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
The Closed Guard -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -

Again excuses, those are role players, legit,just like Starks,Mason Oakley were legit

If you're using age as another excuse than Horry was young and only his second year,and Cassel was a rookie.

So as a recap,Ewing had Stark's 19ppg and Mason and Oakley,lost to Hakeem who had Thorpe 15 ppg,Vernon Maxwell,Kenny Smith and Horry.

C'mon bro stop making excuses .it reached game 7

11 days ago
2/4/06
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -

Smits or starks 

Depends on who I am?if I'm Ewing why would I pick Smits?If I'm Miller why would I pick Stark's?

The knicks and the pacers were 3-3 in the 90s in playoff match ups.

If you're a star, just you. Who do you pick. 

11 days ago
2/4/06
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
The Closed Guard -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -

Again excuses, those are role players, legit,just like Starks,Mason Oakley were legit

If you're using age as another excuse than Horry was young and only his second year,and Cassel was a rookie.

So as a recap,Ewing had Stark's 19ppg and Mason and Oakley,lost to Hakeem who had Thorpe 15 ppg,Vernon Maxwell,Kenny Smith and Horry.

C'mon bro stop making excuses .it reached game 7

What excuses? What am I defending? Hakeem was better than Ewing. No shit

Vmax and starks were even

Kenny Smith was better than an aged Derek harper 

Edited: 11 days ago
7/27/04
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -

Smits or starks 

If?using my imagination?I pick Starks as a second scorer since he scored more than Smits since you were whining about not having a second scorer.

Are we gonna keep using imagination?

Both were 1x all star except starks was on all defensive team and was 6th man of the year while Smits wasnt

11 days ago
2/4/06
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -
EKPOGI -
Sonester Sambo -

Smits or starks 

If?using my imagination?I pick Starks as a second scorer since he scored more than Smits since you were whining about not having a second scorer.

Are we gonna keep using imagination?

Both were 1x all star except starks was on all defensive team and was 6th man of the year while Smits wasnt

So you'd pick starks over Smits. Right?