OtherGround Forums Which Game Console Had Best Library?

12 days ago
10/22/14
Dreville79 -

It’s between

Commodore 64

SNES

Xbox 360

I’d lean towards SNES, but I think it’s only due to my own fondness for it. The 360 has it all. I could easily name 100 9/10 or better C64 games off the top of my head though.. 

PS1 had a spectacular library in its day, but both that and N64 hold up so poorly it’s hard to include them. PS2 holds up better, but still not well enough to include it 

It's hard to fault PS1 and N64 for graphics though because these were first gen 3d gaming consoles. The gameplay was amazing when you consider that they had nothing or at least very little to pull from. 

The 2d scrolling style obviously holds up better because computational ability has much less impact on the visual impact of the game in 2d vs 3d. 

Edited: 12 days ago
3/11/19
Most of the even moderately successful consoles had a powerful enough library to go head-to-head with any other. For virtually every great PS1 game, there is a Saturn game to match it in quality, and if you like shooters more than RPGs, the Saturn is the choice.

And even the failed consoles usually have a few games that are must-plays. I own a rare Japanese-only console that failed in the market, and a few games for it sell in the $300-1000 range because they're damn good and can't be played otherwise.
11 days ago
10/27/03

The answer is always the newest generation of console.
11 days ago
6/7/05
PS 2 is the only one with Simpsons Road Rage, so there is your answer.
11 days ago
7/16/13
sadic1 - PS 2 is the only one with Simpsons Road Rage, so there is your answer.

Simpsons Hit and Run is the goat though

11 days ago
10/3/12
ChiefMac -
Grendelplata -

PC

I ne’er understood the appeal of PC gaming...who wants to sit at a desk with a mouse and keyboard and play using a silly monitor?

much more fun to sit on a comfy sofa and play on a big 60” screen. Who cares if the graphics aren’t as sharp - they’re still sharp. 
even if you’re playing COD..the people you’re playing against are Xbox users too, so everyones on the same playing field, the games are just as competitive.

PC gaming is weird.

You do know PCs can use controllers and have HDMI outputs right? Plus you can mod the shit out of games and use console commands. Also, they aren’t locked to a frame rate like consoles and with Ray tracing coming to the forefront, they are visually superior. But if you’re a broke ass, I guess a console is OK. 

Halo was just released for PC as well, so that’s what I’ll be doing for a while. 

11 days ago
2/27/15
hjr2 -
ChiefMac -
Grendelplata -

PC

I ne’er understood the appeal of PC gaming...who wants to sit at a desk with a mouse and keyboard and play using a silly monitor?

much more fun to sit on a comfy sofa and play on a big 60” screen. Who cares if the graphics aren’t as sharp - they’re still sharp. 
even if you’re playing COD..the people you’re playing against are Xbox users too, so everyones on the same playing field, the games are just as competitive.

PC gaming is weird.

You do know PCs can use controllers and have HDMI outputs right? Plus you can mod the shit out of games and use console commands. Also, they aren’t locked to a frame rate like consoles and with Ray tracing coming to the forefront, they are visually superior. But if you’re a broke ass, I guess a console is OK. 

Halo was just released for PC as well, so that’s what I’ll be doing for a while. 

Lol oh wow REALLY!?!?! I never knew you could plug a controller into a computer! And what is this witch craft you speak of...hdmi!? Wow. Glad you’re here to educate us.

You really missed the point...pc players are NOT plugging their computers to their living room television and using controllers. They’re sitting at their little desks that they used to do their homework on and massaging their egos because they think people are too broke to afford their set up. News flash...people can afford high end computers but choose to buy a console. I am a professional video editor  - I have about £20,000 in high spec computers that would easily run any game but I do all my gaming on consoles for a reason. I am not a little nerd modding GTA like a 12 year old & thinking my constant frame rate in COD really makes for some insane difference worth thousands of pounds more than a £200 console. 

the vast majority of fun in the game is the same across pc and console...my Xbox frame rate is not crashing & spoiling my gaming experience like PC people presume. I lie down on my comfy sofa with a few drinks and have very competitive call of duty games with friends on my 60” OLED (graphics are excellent. Frame rate is perfectly fine). It cost a few hundred and the real world fun experience is 99% the same as pc.

my original point was specifically talking about pc people who sit at a desk with desk/mouse/keyboard..but not sure u care 

11 days ago
7/30/14
ChiefMac -
hjr2 -
ChiefMac -
Grendelplata -

PC

PC gaming is weird.

Lol oh wow REALLY!?!?! I never knew you could plug a controller into a computer! And what is this witch craft you speak of...hdmi!? Wow. Glad you’re here to educate us.

You really missed the point...pc players are NOT plugging their computers to their living room television and using controllers. They’re sitting at their little desks that they used to do their homework on and massaging their egos because they think people are too broke to afford their set up. News flash...people can afford high end computers but choose to buy a console. I am a professional video editor  - I have about £20,000 in high spec computers that would easily run any game but I do all my gaming on consoles for a reason. I am not a little nerd modding GTA like a 12 year old & thinking my constant frame rate in COD really makes for some insane difference worth thousands of pounds more than a £200 console. 

the vast majority of fun in the game is the same across pc and console...my Xbox frame rate is not crashing & spoiling my gaming experience like PC people presume. I lie down on my comfy sofa with a few drinks and have very competitive call of duty games with friends on my 60” OLED (graphics are excellent. Frame rate is perfectly fine). It cost a few hundred and the real world fun experience is 99% the same as pc.

my original point was specifically talking about pc people who sit at a desk with desk/mouse/keyboard..but not sure u care 

I have a gaming laptop and connected it into my tv for the first time this week to play COD, using a controller against console gamers. I think I’m going to be thrown out of nerd club.

11 days ago
4/22/03

Any FPS PC demo games that are good? I tried downloading quake 3 demo, but doesn’t seem to work on Windows 10. 

11 days ago
2/27/15
Dragunov -
ChiefMac -
hjr2 -
ChiefMac -
Grendelplata -

PC

PC gaming is weird.

I have a gaming laptop and connected it into my tv for the first time this week to play COD, using a controller against console gamers. I think I’m going to be thrown out of nerd club.

Turn your DXRacer chair in on your way out. 

11 days ago
11/15/04

Sega Genesis 

11 days ago
1/1/01
PlayStation 2 gets my vote, but there are a couple good options.
11 days ago
8/11/05

P4P, the GC and N64 had some solid titles.

PS2 and Snes for the sheer number of good games.

11 days ago
6/29/11

NES

Edited: 11 days ago
1/1/01
HoneyGlazedJinx - 
Squatdog -
HoneyGlazedJinx - 

The Amiga was pretty good back in the day. I used to play Defender of the Crown, Zork, Tetris, Arazoks Tomb. Shit would keep me up for days. 

Also SNES was awesome

Did you play any Amiga game AFTER 1987?

Lol. I think that's the only time I played around 1990. My aunt was throwing away her Amiga and gave it to me with a bunch of games. I'm assuming it was crap?

Amiga was arguably the most dominant home system from 1989 to 1994.

Those games were from before it's prime.
11 days ago
3/1/09
ChiefMac -
hjr2 -
ChiefMac -
Grendelplata -

PC

PC gaming is weird.

RTS games are garbage on consoles/with a controller.

11 days ago
4/5/10

NES and Genesis...although I’ve had friends (serious daily gamers) who loved N64, SNES, GameCube and DreamCast

11 days ago
3/11/19
Squatdog - 
HoneyGlazedJinx - 
Squatdog -
HoneyGlazedJinx - 

The Amiga was pretty good back in the day. I used to play Defender of the Crown, Zork, Tetris, Arazoks Tomb. Shit would keep me up for days. 

Also SNES was awesome

Lol. I think that's the only time I played around 1990. My aunt was throwing away her Amiga and gave it to me with a bunch of games. I'm assuming it was crap?

Nice to see a fellow Amigan on the forum. I used the Amiga for games, music, internet, general computing, etc., from 1988 to 2001! Sorry for the long reply...

I almost totally agree with your peak assessment of 1989-1994 but I would extend it to 1996. AGA breathed new life into the platform and some of the best games came out in 1995-1996 (Super Stardust CD32 and Mega Typhoon, as shooter examples).

But that is, of course, all taken in a vacuum.

The Amiga had a very short prime if you consider it in relation to other gaming systems.

The Genesis came out in 89 and it took awhile for programmers to take advantage of its powers but by 92-93 the Genesis games were way technically advanced compared to the Amiga and backed by software companies that knew what they were doing, rather than the Amiga standard of bedroom coders trying to make what they think a good game should be.

The SNES was similar. Plus you have to factor in the DOOM era on PC (which I hated). And then the PS1, etc. hit in 1994. The Amiga was still in its peak. It just couldn't compare in the market.

And another system that virtually no one knows about which I happened to own. The X68000, a Japanese computer released the same year as the Amiga, was way more powerful for gaming.

Throughout the 8-bit, 16-bit and even the 32-bit generations, everyone craved the arcade experience at home, and they were denied again and again as totally crappy arcade ports made their way to the underpowered consoles. The Amiga probably had more terrible arcade ports than any other system than the Atari ST.

But the X68000 had arcade-perfect ports from the day it was released. So the Japanese had literally the best home gaming experience there ever could be, if they could afford the admittedly way more expensive X68000 over the Amiga.

11 days ago
2/27/15
homegrowncone -
ChiefMac -
hjr2 -
ChiefMac -
Grendelplata -

PC

PC gaming is weird.

RTS games are garbage on consoles/with a controller.

Agreed. One of a few genres I would consider PC games by design. Solitaire and minesweeper suck on a controller too. Usually these games are all low impact and will run perfect on a bog standard family PC. Don’t need some advanced gaming machine to run command and conquer historically. 

10 days ago
12/18/10
ChiefMac -
Grendelplata -

PC

PC gaming is weird.

I use a controller from my couch and use a TV

10 days ago
7/26/07

Hard to top the original NES, imo

Edited: 10 days ago
7/26/07
RKing85 - PlayStation 2 gets my vote, but there are a couple good options.

Ps2 had my favorite game of all time

Socom 2

I was ranked in the top 500 and played competively in clan wars

we had scheduled weekly team practices for my clan lol

Socom 2 shits in call of dutys helmet

10 days ago
5/20/19
Mind One Two -
Squatdog - 
HoneyGlazedJinx - 
Squatdog -
HoneyGlazedJinx - 

Also SNES was awesome

Nice to see a fellow Amigan on the forum. I used the Amiga for games, music, internet, general computing, etc., from 1988 to 2001! Sorry for the long reply...

I almost totally agree with your peak assessment of 1989-1994 but I would extend it to 1996. AGA breathed new life into the platform and some of the best games came out in 1995-1996 (Super Stardust CD32 and Mega Typhoon, as shooter examples).

The Amiga had a very short prime if you consider it in relation to other gaming systems.

The Genesis came out in 89 and it took awhile for programmers to take advantage of its powers but by 92-93 the Genesis games were way technically advanced compared to the Amiga and backed by software companies that knew what they were doing, rather than the Amiga standard of bedroom coders trying to make what they think a good game should be.

The SNES was similar. Plus you have to factor in the DOOM era on PC (which I hated). And then the PS1, etc. hit in 1994. The Amiga was still in its peak. It just couldn't compare in the market.

And another system that virtually no one knows about which I happened to own. The X68000, a Japanese computer released the same year as the Amiga, was way more powerful for gaming.

Throughout the 8-bit, 16-bit and even the 32-bit generations, everyone craved the arcade experience at home, and they were denied again and again as totally crappy arcade ports made their way to the underpowered consoles. The Amiga probably had more terrible arcade ports than any other system than the Atari ST.

But the X68000 had arcade-perfect ports from the day it was released. So the Japanese had literally the best home gaming experience there ever could be, if they could afford the admittedly way more expensive X68000 over the Amiga.

Nice

One day I’m going to buy an old amiga and play those games over again 

10 days ago
1/1/01
ice to see a fellow Amigan on the forum. I used the Amiga for games, music, internet, general computing, etc., from 1988 to 2001! Sorry for the long reply...

The Amiga killed off the C64 by 1990, but was a dying system after Commodore collapsed in 1994. Also, by that stage Super-VGA had become the default graphics system for home PCs, replacing the 32 colour EGA bullshit.

The Amiga had arcade-perfect ports of Rainbow Islands, Silkworm, Arknoid etc.
10 days ago
3/11/19
Squatdog - 
ice to see a fellow Amigan on the forum. I used the Amiga for games, music, internet, general computing, etc., from 1988 to 2001! Sorry for the long reply...

The Amiga killed off the C64 by 1990, but was a dying system after Commodore collapsed in 1994. Also, by that stage Super-VGA had become the default graphics system for home PCs, replacing the 32 colour EGA bullshit.

The Amiga had arcade-perfect ports of Rainbow Islands, Silkworm, Arknoid etc.

Well, it depends what you mean by peak. Obviously Commodore had little to do with the Amiga's success, and the gaming on the system thrived beyond 94.

On many top-20 lists of Amiga games, you'll find many games from post-94 in there: Worms: The Director's Cut, Super Stardust CD32, Slam Tilt, Alien Breed 3D/2, Capital Punishment, Breathless, etc.

EGA was 16 colors. SVGA was basically 256-color, the exact same as the AGA amigas that came out in 1992. DOOM is really what sold people on the PC. But by "peak" do we mean commercially outselling other platforms? Then where? The Amiga outsold windows PCs in the UK until the late 90s.

Rainbow Islands is the best port on Amiga but it is missing 3 stages and there are more differences to the arcade game as well.
Silkworm is nothing like the arcade version.
I doubt Arkanoid as well.

The X68000 was really the only machine to have arcade-perfect ports until the PS1 (Strider, etc.) or computer emulation.