OtherGround Forums Which one of these motorcycles would you buy?

11 days ago
6/3/18

Not sure what sort of bikes you've been on in the past, but if you're newer to sportbikes then the R1 isn't the best choice.  You'll honestly spend most of your time short-shifting and lugging the engine around....  mostly just a good way to spend more on gas/tires/insurance.  Best of luck.  

11 days ago
1/18/03
Neil McCauley - Changed my mind. I'm gonna get an R1 or something fast as fuck like it. Which one of these would you get gentlemen?

2016 Yamaha R1s (bought new 2018) guy said he would take 10grand

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/pml/mcy/7124940937.html

24000km on that one.

2009 YAMAHA R1 - $7499

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/mcy/7122630536.html

17000km on that one.

2010 Yamaha r1 - $9500

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/mpo/7127755880.html

27000 km on that one.

2014 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R - $9950

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rch/mcy/d/richmond-northeast-2014-kawasaki-ninja/7128293882.html

15000 km

I lean towards the 2016 R1s. It has more kilometers but its newer and has only been driven for 2 years, although a lot of driving was done. Definitely driving in the rain cause that many km in 2 years in Vancouver where it rains 8 months of the year would be impossible. Thoughts gentlemen?

I would not buy the R1 with 27,000k on it.

That bikes been rode hard.

11 days ago
12/13/11
effinggoof - 
Neil McCauley - Changed my mind. I'm gonna get an R1 or something fast as fuck like it. Which one of these would you get gentlemen?

2016 Yamaha R1s (bought new 2018) guy said he would take 10grand

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/pml/mcy/7124940937.html

24000km on that one.

2009 YAMAHA R1 - $7499

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/mcy/7122630536.html

17000km on that one.

2010 Yamaha r1 - $9500

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rds/mpo/7127755880.html

27000 km on that one.

2014 Kawasaki Ninja ZX10R - $9950

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rch/mcy/d/richmond-northeast-2014-kawasaki-ninja/7128293882.html

15000 km

I lean towards the 2016 R1s. It has more kilometers but its newer and has only been driven for 2 years, although a lot of driving was done. Definitely driving in the rain cause that many km in 2 years in Vancouver where it rains 8 months of the year would be impossible. Thoughts gentlemen?

I would not buy the R1 with 27,000k on it.

That bikes been rode hard.

what is the most amount of km you would buy on a bike like an R1? is that zx10R with 15000 km over the past 6 years alright? thats my number 2. is an older R1 with way less km a better byike despite being older? like this one for example.

https://vancouver.craigslist.org/rch/mcy/d/richmond-2010-yamaha-r1-le-valentino/7108961247.html

11 days ago
12/13/11
Scotiadiver - 

Not sure what sort of bikes you've been on in the past, but if you're newer to sportbikes then the R1 isn't the best choice.  You'll honestly spend most of your time short-shifting and lugging the engine around....  mostly just a good way to spend more on gas/tires/insurance.  Best of luck.  

Appreciate your reply.
11 days ago
4/18/02

Out of those I’d go for the 2016 , the FZ-09 in your first post is plenty fast and more comfortable, but it’s hard to pass up an R1 

11 days ago
9/13/14

<-------- There's your answer.

11 days ago
5/7/14

Xsr900

11 days ago
10/15/07

here's my newest bike.
11 days ago
4/15/06

VFR..easy choice

Edited: 11 days ago
5/3/01

xsr900 from the ones listed. i prefer a more standard/mule bike geometry but it's still a very rideable bike. seems like you're more of a sport bike/streetfighter guy, though. for the most part, they're all awesome bikes and in a good, not-outrageous range both in terms of performance and price.

edit - just saw the mt09. same as above, only a better example of the same benefits. one of my favorite bikes, ever.

as someone said, the r1 is a lot of motorcycle. i've been on some apex bikes in the past and i've only enjoyed myself on them on closed road courses or tracks.

11 days ago
4/18/02

I just picked up a Triumph street twin and while it’s not fast it’s an absolute blast to ride 

11 days ago
10/29/08

If you don’t have experience - don’t buy an R1. You seem like a great dude when you’re not trolling. Would love to keep you around. 

11 days ago
10/29/08

Do a quick google search for this dude James Kinzer. Had an interesting social media thread that looked like this. Bought a Hayabusa in the am and died in a wreck later that night. These bikes are no joke, Brother. Start on one of your first bikes and see if you like it. 

I rode GSX-Ra for years but I quit maybe 8 years ago when people started texting and driving. Stay safe! Good luck 

10 days ago
12/13/11
JD Mpls -

Do a quick google search for this dude James Kinzer. Had an interesting social media thread that looked like this. Bought a Hayabusa in the am and died in a wreck later that night. These bikes are no joke, Brother. Start on one of your first bikes and see if you like it. 

I rode GSX-Ra for years but I quit maybe 8 years ago when people started texting and driving. Stay safe! Good luck 

if I drive the R1 cautiously and slowly let my confidence build up with the bike I should be fine, no? what about an R6? 

10 days ago
5/14/13

None of them.

Motorcycles are deathtraps.

Edited: 10 days ago
6/3/18
Neil McCauley -
JD Mpls -

if I drive the R1 cautiously and slowly let my confidence build up with the bike I should be fine, no? what about an R6? 

It's a pretty common sentiment, but it usually doesn't play out that way.  Things happen while driving any vehicle, but everything on a sport bike is amped up: power/handling/braking.  Your reactions will likely be incorrect in the beginning and with such a powerful machine small overreactions get out of hand fast. 

Some folks start on them and do just fine, but it's mostly luck.... just like some dudes bareback whores in their youth and avoid STDs/knocking them up etc.

Things would be easier to manage on a 600, it's still not a learning platform by any stretch but it won't be trying to kill you quite as aggressively as a 1K and you will never outgrow a 600cc sportbike. I wrote off my first sportbike with a stupid overreaction, it scared me and I stopped riding for years.  I ended up going back, retaking the safety course and driving a 500 for a season.  When I got back on a 600, I knew how to handle it and more importantly I was able to really enjoy myself and wring its neck a little.  

Only you can decide of course, but do your best to make sure ego plays as little a role as possible.  Cheers.

10 days ago
11/1/03

The one thing is all these bikes are so insanely fast their inherently dangerous. There really suited more for racetracks than street driving. Being cautious may save you but one lapse of judgement could kill you. If driving these bikes at reasonable speeds is enjoyable they may be worth it, they all look really cool.

10 days ago
8/29/08

I'd buy a bike that you didn't have to crunch over the fuel tank to ride.

10 days ago
6/28/10
Neil McCauley -
JD Mpls -

LMAO!

10 days ago
4/17/13

VFR. Where are you? Vancouver? How many riding months you get up there?

10 days ago
9/11/12

VFR by a mile, the sport bikes are tuned for tracks and not as fun on the street.

Inline 4s more trouble to handle.

10 days ago
1/1/01

Here’s a thought.

Make a list of the attributes you want out of a bike (and be honest with yourself).  

Examples:

1. In town/city driving

2. Highway touring - longer distance comfort and capacity.

3. Appearance and impressing others (litre bike with right label and appearance).

4. Real sport riding - twisty roads.

5. Stoplight drags (the 0-60 runs in town or at lights).

6. Sound.

7. Drivability.

Sport bikes are really designed for high rpm running on twisty roads, and their capabilities are well beyond 99% of drivers and laws.  Litre bikes have more low end power, so can move quickly at lower rpm.  A sport bike which never sees more than 8,000rpm is wasted potential.

You may want to look at v-twin sporty bikes or even inline triples like triumph bikes.  They have more bottom end, are driveable in town, and sound good at any speed.

The VFR is a bike that does all the above pretty well.  Sure, you sacrifice the top 10% of race performance, but unless you’re on a track or flagrantly breaking laws (which will catch up to you one way or another) then it’s largely academic.  You can ride the vfr all week to work, then take it to whistler on a weekend morning, or over to Vancouver island with bags for a weekend.

10 days ago
5/2/14

Do Not get a R1 as your first bike lol. As others have said you will never get tired of a 600cc sport bike.  It’s more than fast enough. Learning how to ride on a 1000 seems like it would be a nightmare.

10 days ago
12/2/02

Check out a first gen FZ1 if you want speed and comfort at a good price. Has a slightly tamed R1 engine but more relaxed seating position. 

You will likely never be able to use all of the power of that bike and you can ride it comfortably all day. 

Edited: 10 days ago
11/5/03

VFR or triumph street triple.

I've been kicking the idea of starting riding again around and those are the two I'm leaning towards. 

I got around by motorcycle exclusively for 2+ years until summer 2018, then sold mine and havent ridden since. 

Starting to get the itch again. 

I started riding in 1990 as transportation living in San Francisco and the only options then for me were wimpy little 450/500 Hondas and the like.

I didn't own it, but I had possession of a buddy's R1 for almost a year while he was living somewhere else. They are not comfortable and maneuvering them at slow speed / stop and go isnt fun.

The potential to just blast off at insane speed is hard to ignore.