OtherGround Forums Why Can't People Be Objective With Politics?

7 days ago
2/5/06
Is it possible that we are innately religious? Since politics deal at least partly about moral structure, what's right/wrong, what we should/shouldn't do,..people choose their denomination and defend it passionately,..just like a religion.

Dismissing facts, evidence and proof they will stand firm. The same things one team says about the other who holds the top position, is then repeated the next cycle the tables turn...God forbid you mis-speak or mispronounce a word or something, the opposition criticize, in complete ignorance of how they reacted when their guy was in.

I understand bias, we all are biased. We also don't all agree on policy or principals...even passionately but most of this shit is all just that...it's bullshit. It's religious garbage of finding everything bad about the other people or finding any way to twist things into being bad while your team is virtuous.
7 days ago
10/11/05
It's Reagan's fault.
Edited: 7 days ago
5/3/01

you could have stopped at "objective"

even though it's to some extent schtick on here, it doesn't take long on any social media platform where people's opinions are a little less inhibited for them to impress you with how ignorant, selfish, myopic, biased, and outright stupid they are in aggregate.

the us isn't a society of free thinkers and it certainly isn't one that holds intellectualism in high esteem. our public school system is shit, our cultural bellweathers (politics, religion, pop culture) are fraught with emotional appeal, and i've never seen much pressure in the other direction in my lifetime.

and trust me when i tell you these phenomenon are universally distributed amongst pretty much every demographic. if they're less broad in a given group, they run deeper.

7 days ago
9/21/05
I would agree with what you said, i would have previously put my self on the left the side of the aisle, but over the last several years would have said i have crossed over the center line to the right (I really enjoy the usual suspects of that side, Ben Shipero, Steven Crowder, PragerU etc).

I think the one of the main issues is to first acknowledge that for the most part both/many sides usually genuinely want the "best" for people, its just their way to achieve that goal is where the disagreement comes in.

If i think you want the best for people, respect other peoples right to an opinion, they we can have a conversation.

If you want play identity politics and judge me by any associated group or box you want to put me in...then Fuck you
1/1/01
Spoken like a true Trumptard, Libtard or Moderatard.
7 days ago
2/5/06

"you could have stopped at "objective""

Very true

3/16/11

Because politics isn’t an object, it’s a part of the subject (which we call identity). People see their moral intuitions as intrinsic to their character. Identity, morality, intuition and character are all things that don’t fit into the language of objectivity. 

7 days ago
2/5/06
shen - Spoken like a true Trumptard, Libtard or Moderatard.

lmfao

7 days ago
1/14/07

Its because people started to see political parties as 'teams'.

There is a sizable portion of both parties who are complately fine with outcomes that aren't the best for them or the country as long as their team 'wins'.

1/24/20
Peixes -

even though it's to some extent schtick on here, it doesn't take long on any social media platform where people's opinions are a little less inhibited for them to impress you with how ignorant, selfish, myopic, biased, and outright stupid they are in aggregate.

the us isn't a society of free thinkers and it certainly isn't one that holds intellectualism in high esteem. our public school system is shit, our cultural bellweathers (politics, religion, pop culture) are fraught with emotional appeal, and i've never seen much pressure in the other direction in my lifetime.

and trust me when i tell you these phenomenon are universally distributed amongst pretty much every demographic. if they're less broad in a given group, they run deeper.

I had a sneaking suspicion you throated the largest of the black cocks, but when you used the word "bellweathers" I was convinced. Luckily for you, CV19 can't be contracted by deepthroating.

7 days ago
11/4/10

As people become less traditionally religious that part of our brain is still there. Politics is the new religion and government is our god.

7 days ago
5/1/16

It's easier to call the other guy an asshole than to consider you could be wrong . 

7 days ago
5/3/01
MahomesIsYourDaddy - 
Peixes -

I had a sneaking suspicion you throated the largest of the black cocks, but when you used the word "bellweathers" I was sure. Luckily for you CV19 can't be contracted by deepthroating.

your known record of being a retard notwithstanding, i genuinely hope you lost a bet to get that screen name

7 days ago
2/5/06
KZTT_MMAfan55 - 

As people become less traditionally religious that part of our brain is still there. Politics is the new religion and government is our god.

This is kinda where I was going with my thoughts. Atheist groups that seemingly, overwhelmingly are hard left, behave just like the religious they mock.

I'm not leaving the right out, they behave the same way...but being the "religious right" it's overlooked a lot.

7 days ago
1/25/07
Pilgor the goat -

Because politics isn’t an object, it’s a part of the subject (which we call identity). People see their moral intuitions as intrinsic to their character. Identity, morality, intuition and character are all things that don’t fit into the language of objectivity. 

great post.

1/1/01
The Founding Fathers were actually quite AGAINST the idea of political parties, because they saw what effect they had in England.

In groups & out groups. Tribalism. It's a problem that has been around forever.
7 days ago
3/16/11
shen - The Founding Fathers were actually quite AGAINST the idea of political parties, because they saw what effect they had in England.

In groups & out groups. Tribalism. It's a problem that has been around forever.

Those fuckers were some smart dudes. Like Steve Urkel genius level smart. It really is amazing how they saw all the bullshit that had happened and figured out a document that protected against it and predicted future issues at once. I’m not even American and I’ve long maintained that the US constitution is the greatest document human beings have ever created. 

7 days ago
7/9/19

Shit seems shady as fuck, but I hear these democraps support the tranny and gay shit, so I’ll vote for trump.

7 days ago
11/13/14

I think the free thinker point made earlier is the reason. Most have already made their minds up about what is best and refuse to hear evidence to the contrary. 

7 days ago
2/27/20
I am not a Republican. I iust recognize the Democrats right now as the biggest threat the US has ever faced.

Trump is doing a much better job than he gets credit for...he isn't really a Republican either.

I am fairly objective. A rational person can see liberals are utterly pathetic now.
7 days ago
7/25/08
CaptainWoody - Is it possible that we are innately religious? Since politics deal at least partly about moral structure, what's right/wrong, what we should/shouldn't do,..people choose their denomination and defend it passionately,..just like a religion.

Dismissing facts, evidence and proof they will stand firm. The same things one team says about the other who holds the top position, is then repeated the next cycle the tables turn...God forbid you mis-speak or mispronounce a word or something, the opposition criticize, in complete ignorance of how they reacted when their guy was in.

I understand bias, we all are biased. We also don't all agree on policy or principals...even passionately but most of this shit is all just that...it's bullshit. It's religious garbage of finding everything bad about the other people or finding any way to twist things into being bad while your team is virtuous.

Religious is one way to put it, but confirmation bias is another.

We're simply not wired to try to understand the other person, we're wired to try to win the argument.

In our simple ass brains, being right isn't what's important, being "right" is.

Our intellects are WAY ahead of our ability to use them responsibly.
7 days ago
3/22/20
I realized that I have not heard ONE person who was pro-Trump before the pandemic say that he has really handled the situation badly.

And I have not heard ONE person who was anti-Trump before the pandemic say that he has really handled the situation well.

Something about that really depressed me. It seems like proof of something I've always suspected, but never had such clear evidence for.
7 days ago
7/25/08
Hippias12345 - I realized that I have not heard ONE person who was pro-Trump before the pandemic say that he has really handled the situation badly.

And I have not heard ONE person who was anti-Trump before the pandemic say that he has really handled the situation well.

Something about that really depressed me. It seems like proof of something I've always suspected, but never had such clear evidence for.

Ugh, same, and guilty.
7 days ago
3/22/20
To answer your question, politics is fundamentally about friends and enemies. The basic political passion is love of one's own. This is not a particularly rational human impulse. Politics is essentially irrational, and violently so. (Religion is irrational as well - but it has a different and perhaps more redeeming element. Not all irrationalities are created equal.) Politics is like a violent storm; the prudent man find a place to hide and waits for it to pass.
7 days ago
1/7/09
Brianmx234 -

Shit seems shady as fuck, but I hear these democraps support the tranny and gay shit, so I’ll vote for trump.

It’s actually rather common to see folks voting against their own interests.