OtherGround Forums Why Snakes make the worst Pets

12 days ago
12/4/18

This is a good article

Why Snakes Make for the WORST Pets

12 days ago
10/1/02
I don't trust someone who has snakes as pets.
12 days ago
12/4/18

A study published by the U.K.’s Royal Society of Biology found that at least 75 percent of pet snakes, lizards, tortoises, and turtles die within one year in a human home. It’s believed that most of these newly acquired animals die from stress related to captivity.

12 days ago
1/6/20
God Of Thunder -

A study published by the U.K.’s Royal Society of Biology found that at least 75 percent of pet snakes, lizards, tortoises, and turtles die within one year in a human home. It’s believed that most of these newly acquired animals die from stress related to captivity.

Didn't know but that is sad.  All for our selfish purposes. 

12 days ago
9/20/19
beatbum - I don't trust someone who has snakes as pets.

Reptile people are weird. Like if you’re all in and have a degree and study reptiles and shit, I get it. The hobbyist or people who breed the designer reptiles are fucking freaks. 

12 days ago
12/22/10
beatbum - I don't trust someone who has snakes as pets.

12 days ago
1/1/01

I kept 42 snakes at one point.  They are not pets.  They are interested in eating, being left alone, and sex.  Outside of those things they could not give less of a shit about your existence.

12 days ago
7/29/13

They are cold blooded killers that would eat you if they could. 

12 days ago
11/16/08
Trust -

I kept 42 snakes at one point.  They are not pets.  They are interested in eating, being left alone, and sex.  Outside of those things they could not give less of a shit about your existence.

How often do you need to give them sex?

12 days ago
1/1/01
Trust - 

my ex girlfriend said the same about me.

12 days ago
11/21/05
I No Kung Foo - 
Trust -

How often do you need to give them sex?

As often as you are able, generally speaking.  There's no upper bounds.  That said, there's no reason you can't comfortably accomodate a snake 2-3 times per week if that's all you can manage.

12 days ago
2/25/20

Don’t even need to read this to tell you snakes make the worst pets 

Edited: 12 days ago
10/20/09

Snakes, tarantulas, etc. are pretty cool if you're into the noir sorta thing. Low maintanence and never make a noise. But when I had those it was when my girlfriend's annoying friend's pitbulls started trying to break the cage and eat them. 

and they all tried to paint at the snake and tarantula's fault. pitbull owners are either retarded, post-retarded or pre-retarded. 

I've lived with more than you've owned, so shut the fuck up and yes some of them were okay but they were all beasts.

12 days ago
6/11/13

A snake isn't a pet, its a hobbie

11 days ago
5/31/07
Shame you all don't understand how dark and mysterious i am

Oh well, your loss for not getting to awkwardly sit in my room after you bought some weed to smoke a j and listen to floyd
Edited: 11 days ago
9/20/10
Trust -

100%agreed  growing up my dad had a wall of somewhere over 30 snakes all different types breeding them selling them. He gave it up then I got an African rock python at 10 years old fresh born baby 22in. By the time I was sixteen it was 11 feet long you cannot get that thing out of the cage without it striking it whoever was trying to get it. They have no interest in being friends

11 days ago
1/19/04

11 days ago
4/18/01
Nature's quitters
11 days ago
9/18/12

My mom dated this redneck when I was like 9. 

We had all kinds of crazy reptiles and pets like ball pythons, lizards, a scorpion and even had multiple fish tanks to breed mice to feed them.

One day I watched him take ”pinkies” which were baby mice that had no hair yet, and cut them into pieces with scissors while they were alive. It was to feed a Nile Monitor lizard.

As a birthday present my parents got me a Boa Constrictor. It was the size of a pencil and by the time I was 13 or so it was somewhere around 6 or 7 feet long.

My moms boyfriend had a snake that was around 12 feet long at his parents house. It lived in a closet. He would take it with him to the county fair and walk around with it around his neck. He carried a large knife with him, just in case it ever started to strangle him.

As an adult, I agree reptiles are bad pets.

11 days ago
6/11/13

My buddy in the military had a 12-13' Burmese python. We got it, a male, down in some pet shop in San Diego. 

He already had a female he wanted to breed it with as, at the time, they were selling for about $100 for a baby. 

Anyway, I was an MP. I worked on MCAS El Toro, but we, me and my buddy, lived over at Tustin.

He calls the dispatcher, which contacts me on radio and says I need to contact my buddy when I get a chance. 

I head to the dispatch tower and use the phone. Come to find out, my buddy was trying to feed the new Burmese male. Generally you take the snake out of the cage to feed, so it doesn't associate everything coming into the cage as food.

He had his setup in his garage, took the snake out, tossed the rabbit towards the snake. The rabbit jumped out of view behind the snake cage, which was about 4'x8'. 

My buddy is standing there with his wife and newborn son. The snake, he told me, stood up up 4ft tall and charged them. They ran inside the house, at which time he called the dispatcher.

I ride from my El Toro to Tustin and then to my buddy's place. He tells me the snake somewhere in the garage. I go into the garage and don't see it right off but eventually find it hiding near some boxes, coiled up. 

I ask he what he wants me to do with it, he replies kill it. So I tell him to get me his machete so I can cut its head off. He tells me no as he doesn't want the garage sprayed with blood.

I find a stick with an ac tester on the end of it. Its a metal piece that is similar to a nail. So I go towards the snake and then its comes out trying to strike at me. I stabbed it in the head 4-5X. It slithers away under the snake cage, which was on cinder blocks. 

I tell him just wait it will dies as it had a hole in its head about 3/8 of an inch. I leave, go back to El Toro. 

An hr later he's calling me back saying its back out and could around one of the heat lamps on top of the cage. So, I go back. 

The only thing I could think of was to throw a towel over its head and choke the shit out of it. Seemed fitting to me, live by the sword etc. Of course this didnt work.

I tell my buddy to grab some rope and tie a slip knot in it to make a noose of sorts. I put the rope around the snakes neck and the towel and pulled it tight, do the snake couldnt strike us.

I asked if my buddy had a deep freezer and he replied no but he had a second fridge with an empty freezer.

We both wrestle this fuckin thing towards the freezer. We throw it inside and slam the door shut as its trying to push out. We then took another rope and tied the freezer shut. 

The next day we opened up the freezer and it was arched backwards in a "C" shape frozen.

Come to find out what that pet shop was doing was importing wild snakes straight from the jungle and not from breeders. 

11 days ago
7/23/09

11 days ago
12/4/18

I had snakes and lizards as pets when I was a kid. All they tried to do was bite. Terrible pets. Should be left in the wild where they can thrive 

11 days ago
10/6/02
God Of Thunder - 

They die due to poor husbandry. Pet shops and internet will tell you a recipe to take care of them but snakes are far more complex for most people to understand.

An example would be that a lot of people lable some species of snakes as "hard feeders" That is BS!
11 days ago
9/14/03
They're very affectionate, they're like cats, they love body heat and to be petted, but they always escape. Ive had three ball pythons, but I get careless and leave the tank open and they get away. I love them though.
11 days ago
1/16/19

I’ll take a fish tank over lizards. That said, when I was a yute I had a lizard. Agreed that its pretty bad to keep any animal caged up just to look at it.