OtherGround Forums Why Snakes make the worst Pets

10/18/20 11:56 AM
10/17/08
Fury2Feed - They're very affectionate, they're like cats, they love body heat and to be petted, but they always escape. Ive had three ball pythons, but I get careless and leave the tank open and they get away. I love them though.

They are not affectionate and they are not like cats.

They do love your body heat though. Don't confuse the two.
10/18/20 12:06 PM
10/17/08
My best friend growing up moved away around our 8th grade year. Several years later I was taking a literature class in college and low and behold there was a my old friend in class with me. We met up after class and he invited me over to his place to have a beer. After going inside his front door the first thing he shows me is a snake he caught. He points to a terrarium with a rattlesnake coiled up at the bottom. That thing was scary looking and I thought he was out of his mind for keeping it as a pet.
10/18/20 12:16 PM
7/13/09

If you aren't interested in learning how to read snkaes you shouldn't own one.  Its very easy to not get bit.   All you have to do is manage the feed response.  If you tap train it should be a non issue.  

This dumb bitch right here is the perfect example of not reading the snake.  She's dumb enough to think that it's coming at her out of affection.   

Snakes aren't pets, they can be controlled but they aren't domesticated.  They aren't dogs, they don't give a fuck about you.  You are a heat signature.  

10/18/20 12:25 PM
9/20/19
QuietLittleHillbilly -

I’ll take a fish tank over lizards. That said, when I was a yute I had a lizard. Agreed that its pretty bad to keep any animal caged up just to look at it. 

They do not give a fuck. If they have food, warmth and are left alone they’re in reptile heaven. 

10/18/20 12:52 PM
8/20/15

There's a dude who has youtube channel who breeds snakes, geckos etc and sells them

I got to watching his channel alot and thought about getting a snake, then I thought about my dogs and said fuck that.

10/18/20 12:53 PM
8/20/15

Cool dude, family man and just a happy dude all around. He will cut the eggs a bit to see what kind of snakes he need and always shows off stuff he buys and brings in. He has little fear of Snakes.

10/18/20 1:01 PM
12/4/18
Robert Thomas -

Cool dude, family man and just a happy dude all around. He will cut the eggs a bit to see what kind of snakes he need and always shows off stuff he buys and brings in. He has little fear of Snakes.

That guy is a sadistic fuck

Edited: 10/18/20 1:35 PM
1/1/01

I don't mind feeding crickets to my tarantulas, but I can't see myself feeding rats/mice to snakes. I know it's basically the same thing, but I have had pet rats and those things are smart and pretty cool (there is a reason many people call them tiny dogs). Never seen any cool crickets though. I do sometimes set crickets free outside if they survive the tarantula cage for a few days or if they escape (like granting a gladiator slave freedom).

10/18/20 3:00 PM
1/1/01
God Of Thunder -

A study published by the U.K.’s Royal Society of Biology found that at least 75 percent of pet snakes, lizards, tortoises, and turtles die within one year in a human home. It’s believed that most of these newly acquired animals die from stress related to captivity.

Fuck. We just set up my youngest boy’s terrarium for his little tortoise. Hope we’re part of the 25% 

10/18/20 3:12 PM
9/27/15
God Of Thunder - 

A study published by the U.K.’s Royal Society of Biology found that at least 75 percent of pet snakes, lizards, tortoises, and turtles die within one year in a human home. It’s believed that most of these newly acquired animals die from stress related to captivity.

That's sad. Reptiles shouldn't be pets. I had an alligator in my early 20s. I should have given it to the zoo
10/18/20 6:43 PM
7/13/09
crescentwrench -
God Of Thunder -

Fuck. We just set up my youngest boy’s terrarium for his little tortoise. Hope we’re part of the 25% 

A glass terrarium?  Tortoise should not be kept in glass enclosures.   Look into a tortoise table .  Easy to build.  Make absolutely sure you are providing them a source of UVB or else they will have health issues.  

Also did you buy a sulcuta?  Because that thing will need a back yard 

10/18/20 6:54 PM
11/16/17

Article should be called dinosaurs aren't pets 

10/18/20 6:57 PM
3/19/04
EVspinner -
God Of Thunder -

Didn't know but that is sad.  All for our selfish purposes. 

They’re not porpoises, they’re reptiles.

10/18/20 6:59 PM
3/19/04

It’s hard to get them to cuddle.

10/18/20 7:05 PM
1/1/01

They make great outdoor pets. We had black snakes that lived in our yard for years. 

10/18/20 7:14 PM
7/29/13
Canooke -

It’s hard to get them to cuddle.

If you get the right kind it will cuddle you to death