OtherGround Forums Why less sunlight east of Miss than west?

7 days ago
9/13/19
So I'm reading these various gardening books and they say that west of the Mississippi river gets more sun than east of it. WTF? How is this so? My total impression was that how much sun a place gets is based on how far away it is from the equator (i.e. north or south), why would east or west matter? Blew my mind!!!

Thanks.
7 days ago
9/13/19
Damn, seems like this seems weird to everyone else too. I would guess they just mean SLIGHTLY more sunlight west overall because of the dessert states with less clouds.
7 days ago
12/22/10

It's because it stays daylight longer, west of the Mississippi. 

7 days ago
9/13/19
Black Doug - 

Thanks Black Doug. But I am so confused - how does it stay daylight longer? Isn't the earth spinning at uniform speed, that that the east coast passes under the sun at the same rate as the west coast does, just a little earlier?
Edited: 7 days ago
1/9/11
PwnedCakes -
Black Doug - 

Thanks Black Doug. But I am so confused - how does it stay daylight longer? Isn't the earth spinning at uniform speed, that that the east coast passes under the sun at the same rate as the west coast does, just a little earlier?

Do the math.  

Oh, and familiarize yourself with the earth's axial tilt.

7 days ago
9/16/05
IIGQ4U -
PwnedCakes -
Black Doug - 

Do the math.  

At a glance its the same down to the minute.

sooo...

What am I missing?

7 days ago
9/16/05

From your demonstration sunrise is 6 minutes later in AL. Sunset is 6 minutes later as well.

In LA sunrise is 6 minutes earlier, sunset is also 6 minutes earlier.

So I'm a little confused...

Isn't that the exact same amount of daylight?

Wouldn't the variance in time just depend on where you fell in the timezone?

Net daylight looks exactly the same to me.

I'll go look at axial tilt and see what I'm missing Neil.

6 days ago
9/27/07

Has to be because of daylight savings time bro. 

6 days ago
11/28/08

6 days ago
11/21/19
PwnedCakes - Damn, seems like this seems weird to everyone else too. I would guess they just mean SLIGHTLY more sunlight west overall because of the dessert states with less clouds.

Do the dessert states have cake mountains and ice cream clouds?

6 days ago
1/1/01

6 days ago
9/13/19
TheFurious1 - 
IIGQ4U -
PwnedCakes -
Black Doug - 

Do the math.  

sooo...

What am I missing?

LOL, you are missing nothing, the guy is a DUMBASS. Hey dumbass, in addition to the point that TheFrurious1 pointed out, that the difference in times is the EXACT SAME lol, you seem to not even grasp the situation. Its not about what time it is here, what time it is there, etc. ect. I'm going to explain something to you, nice and slow, as if I'm talking to an idiot. Because I am talking to an idiot lol.

So, you idiot, the world spins. Indeed, it is tilted, but it spins. On its titled axis. So, the question is, your moron, why would land X number of miles above the equator, in North America WEST of the Mississippi, get more sun that land ALSO X number of miles above the equator, in North America EAST of the Mississippi. They spin under the same fucking sun at the same fucking latitude for the exact same amount of time each day. Or so I believe to the best of my brilliance.

No, my view is that what the authors mean when they say this is that west there are more desserts and other places with much less cloud cover than east, so while the two places get the SAME amount of sun overall, the land west of the Mississippi gets MORE sun at GROUND level for growing plants. That is just my speculation, however. Hence why I asked the question - is it this or some other weird quirk.

Never, EVER try and come into one of my threads again trying to look smart but being so completely ignorant. I'll kick your ass 10x worse than on this thread. I wend easy on you this time dumbass. Don't make this mistake again...

Thanks!
6 days ago
9/13/19
Revenants - 
PwnedCakes - Damn, seems like this seems weird to everyone else too. I would guess they just mean SLIGHTLY more sunlight west overall because of the dessert states with less clouds.

I sucked on those mountains on your mom's chest, and ate that bitches' ice cream...
6 days ago
1/7/09

The sun is racist

6 days ago
11/21/19
PwnedCakes -
TheFurious1 - 
IIGQ4U -
PwnedCakes -
Black Doug - 

Do the math.  

sooo...

What am I missing?

LOL, you are missing nothing, the guy is a DUMBASS. Hey dumbass, in addition to the point that TheFrurious1 pointed out, that the difference in times is the EXACT SAME lol, you seem to not even grasp the situation. Its not about what time it is here, what time it is there, etc. ect. I'm going to explain something to you, nice and slow, as if I'm talking to an idiot. Because I am talking to an idiot lol.

So, you idiot, the world spins. Indeed, it is tilted, but it spins. On its titled axis. So, the question is, your moron, why would land X number of miles above the equator, in North America WEST of the Mississippi, get more sun that land ALSO X number of miles above the equator, in North America EAST of the Mississippi. They spin under the same fucking sun at the same fucking latitude for the exact same amount of time each day. Or so I believe to the best of my brilliance.

No, my view is that what the authors mean when they say this is that west there are more desserts and other places with much less cloud cover than east, so while the two places get the SAME amount of sun overall, the land west of the Mississippi gets MORE sun at GROUND level for growing plants. That is just my speculation, however. Hence why I asked the question - is it this or some other weird quirk.

Never, EVER try and come into one of my threads again trying to look smart but being so completely ignorant. I'll kick your ass 10x worse than on this thread. I wend easy on you this time dumbass. Don't make this mistake again...

Thanks!

"more desserts"

Hey fatty, you're pretty damned stupid.

6 days ago
5/19/17

Dont forget cloud cover.

This page gives a comprehensive list of cities by monthly and annual sunshine hours.  Faroe Islands, and a place in China and a place in Russia come out the worst.

USA is very nice.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_by_sunshine_duration

6 days ago
9/13/19
Revenants - 
PwnedCakes -
TheFurious1 - 
IIGQ4U -
PwnedCakes -
Black Doug - 

Do the math.  

sooo...

What am I missing?

Thanks!

"more desserts"

Ah, trying to poke fun at typos in 2020. So, SO woke. You are an idiot old man, realize it and shut your old pie hole...
6 days ago
9/13/19
DY2 - 

Dont forget cloud cover.

This page gives a comprehensive list of cities by monthly and annual sunshine hours.  Faroe Islands, and a place in China and a place in Russia come out the worst.

USA is very nice.

I'm studying that list now DY2, THANKS! So you would agree the arthurs were likely talking about the amount of sunlight that makes to to the ground through the clouds?

Thanks!
6 days ago
11/21/19
PwnedCakes -
Revenants - 
PwnedCakes -
TheFurious1 - 
IIGQ4U -
PwnedCakes -
Black Doug - 

Do the math.  

sooo...

What am I missing?

Thanks!

"more desserts"

Ah, trying to poke fun at typos in 2020. So, SO woke. You are an idiot old man, realize it and shut your old pie hole...

It's not a typo when you spell it the same way over and over again. That's retarded. Maybe stop posting so you don't show your ignorance!

6 days ago
12/22/10
Revenants -

Dancefrog, 

If the dessert states had cake mountains and ice cream clouds, all of the fat people would live there. 

I thought you knew how to science? 

6 days ago
5/19/17
PwnedCakes -
DY2 - 

Dont forget cloud cover.

USA is very nice.

I'm studying that list now DY2, THANKS! So you would agree the arthurs were likely talking about the amount of sunlight that makes to to the ground through the clouds?

Thanks!

Yes,  if you read the opening paragraphs of that page, it tells you about it.  

6 days ago
9/13/19
DY2 - 
PwnedCakes -
DY2 - 

Dont forget cloud cover.

USA is very nice.

Thanks!

Yes,  if you read the opening paragraphs of that page, it tells you about it.  

WOW, I see that now. I freaking NAILED it! I'm a freaking GENIOUS!!!
6 days ago
9/13/19
Thanks PwnedCakes!!!
6 days ago
5/14/10
It's because west of the Mississippi you get too much alkaline in the water.
6 days ago
9/13/19
Sorry lol, meant thanks DY2!!!