OtherGround Forums Why the f@ck is my restaurant NOT successful?

9/23/20 8:21 PM
1/27/12

QUICK CHICKEN PICKUP

- It's like KFC but all made from scratch.  What you hope you would get every time you get fried chicken.  Totally gourmet.

- operated in a different city for 2 years, took a year off, re-opened at current location

- operated at this location for 8 months, closed for 5 months due to flood, reopened for 6 months, covid

- I am now a "ghost kitchen" and accept orders ONLY on Skip the Dishes.  

- I did that because:  it lets me work alone and staffing is a huge problem; when covid hit, my average individual sale went from $13 to $45 so I dropped the smaller items (no three-piece-and-soda); the government allowed alcohol delivery because of covid; the "Top Placement" promotion with Skip the Dishes gave great results in the past so I hoped to get the same again

THE MARKET:

- There is an exisiting market for fried chicken and I need only a piece of it

- I match the competitors on location (Skip the Dishes) and price (mine are too low)

- From meeting every customer personally, I can tell you there is a general displeasure with the other players even if people keep going back

- I beat the competitors on quality and therefore value, service, and by any other measure

PROMO

- over the last 2 months I have spent about $3500 on FB ads and "Top Listing" on Skip

PROBLEM:

Tonight I had *****ONE FUCKING SALE*****.

What the fuck?

Have I just not spent enough on promo?  I am perplexed.  Seriously.  99% 'people are blown away, and those who are not I attend personally to make it right.  People love me personally.  No barriers to ordering.  Exisiting market with weak players.  

Someone here who had found success offered to advise me.  I could not find the thread where he did so, nor could I remember the name.  Hopefully he (or she or they) shows up here.

Basically throwing this out there from pure frustration.

Like how can a place serve awesome food with awsome service for almost 3 years now (on and off) + my other location, and make ONE FUCKING SALE?

Fak

9/23/20 8:23 PM
7/14/17

Because we all know your secret

9/23/20 8:29 PM
8/20/03

Pics of food?

9/23/20 8:30 PM
7/2/07
mikethecricket - 

QUICK CHICKEN PICKUP

- It's like KFC but all made from scratch.  What you hope you would get every time you get fried chicken.  Totally gourmet.

- operated in a different city for 2 years, took a year off, re-opened at current location

- operated at this location for 8 months, closed for 5 months due to flood, reopened for 6 months, covid

- I did that because:  it lets me work alone and staffing is a huge problem; when covid hit, my average individual sale went from $13 to $45 so I dropped the smaller items (no three-piece-and-soda); the government allowed alcohol delivery because of covid; the "Top Placement" promotion with Skip the Dishes gave great results in the past so I hoped to get the same again

THE MARKET:

- I match the competitors on location (Skip the Dishes) and price (mine are too low)

- From meeting every customer personally, I can tell you there is a general displeasure with the other players even if people keep going back

- I beat the competitors on quality and therefore value, service, and by any other measure

PROMO

- over the last 2 months I have spent about $3500 on FB ads and "Top Listing" on Skip

PROBLEM:

What the fuck?

Have I just not spent enough on promo?  I am perplexed.  Seriously.  99% 'people are blown away, and those who are not I attend personally to make it right.  People love me personally.  No barriers to ordering.  Exisiting market with weak players.  

Someone here who had found success offered to advise me.  I could not find the thread where he did so, nor could I remember the name.  Hopefully he (or she or they) shows up here.

Like how can a place serve awesome food with awsome service for almost 3 years now (on and off) + my other location, and make ONE FUCKING SALE?

Fak

I believe that was Ghost of KVR that offered to talk with you.

I recall a thread where someone mentioned restaurant not doing well and he said to send him a message.

Maybe it was the resigned as state cop thread ? Does that ring bell ?

He is a solid dude and you can expect no BS so take him up on it.

Are you in Canada ? ( looked at the link)

9/23/20 8:32 PM
1/27/12
williepep -
mikethecricket - 

QUICK CHICKEN PICKUP

THE MARKET:

PROMO

PROBLEM:

What the fuck?

Fak

I recall a thread where someone mentioned restaurant not doing well and he said to send him a message.

yes you are correct about poster, and location

9/23/20 8:32 PM
9/1/04

Are you based out of Louisville by any chance?

9/23/20 8:35 PM
1/27/12
Captain Canuck -

Pics of food?

9/23/20 8:36 PM
6/3/19
mikethecricket -
williepep -
mikethecricket - 

QUICK CHICKEN PICKUP

THE MARKET:

PROMO

PROBLEM:

What the fuck?

Fak

Are you Canadian? If so, there’s your problem. Canadians know jack shit about fried chicken. 

9/23/20 8:36 PM
1/27/12

9/23/20 8:37 PM
1/27/12

9/23/20 8:39 PM
1/27/12
AsBiesball -
mikethecricket -
williepep -
mikethecricket - 

QUICK CHICKEN PICKUP

THE MARKET:

PROMO

PROBLEM:

What the fuck?

Fak

Are you Canadian? If so, there’s your problem. Canadians know jack shit about fried chicken. 

Dude, my favourite thing to do is take road trips through the states.  I try fried chicken everywhere, and not only can it not touch mine, but it is never even that good.

I chop, boil, cool then fry my potatoes.

I simmer fried chicken in a pot, then strain/wizz it to make gravy.

Biscuits baked from scratch daily.

Chicken never greasy, not too salty, real seasoning.

9/23/20 8:40 PM
7/5/13

I would suggest hiring a marketing firm and getting better pics. Good looks great, but you want to appeal to your demographic better. Better food that’s easier for the consumer to get. 

9/23/20 8:40 PM
1/1/01

Can't say anything about Skip the Dishes, as I don't know what that is.

Also can't comment on the restaurant industry.

However, FB ads are *quite* easy to sink a shitload of $$$ into if you don't know what you're doing. 

9/23/20 8:41 PM
1/14/09
Do you wash your hands ?

If not maybe you should.

If you do maybe you shouldn't.

9/23/20 8:47 PM
10/21/09
mikethecricket -
Captain Canuck -

Pics of food?

You should zoom in on the pic more. I can barely see the food

9/23/20 8:48 PM
6/3/19
mikethecricket -
AsBiesball -
mikethecricket -
williepep -
mikethecricket - 

QUICK CHICKEN PICKUP

THE MARKET:

PROMO

PROBLEM:

What the fuck?

Fak

Dude, my favourite thing to do is take road trips through the states.  I try fried chicken everywhere, and not only can it not touch mine, but it is never even that good.

I chop, boil, cool then fry my potatoes.

I simmer fried chicken in a pot, then strain/wizz it to make gravy.

Biscuits baked from scratch daily.

Chicken never greasy, not too salty, real seasoning.

I’m just giving you the American OGer response that this thread needed. I know shit all about running a successful restaurant, your food looks great though. 

I must agree that kvr is your best option for advice from the OG. I haven’t interacted with him personally, but his threads combined with his restaurant owner experience and general willingness to help other ogers makes me think he’s the answer you’re looking for. 

I’d take him up on that offer and send him a message with your contact info. 

9/23/20 8:49 PM
6/22/17

A red flag for me is that when I googled your resturant, the website link was a dead domain.  If I were a customer interested in finding local chicken, I wouldnt take a chance based on this alone.

9/23/20 8:49 PM
11/3/14

Here is how I use these services:

Coupon. I generally won't order without a coupon. Service fees plus delivery, plus the usual upcharging compared to actual restaurant menu makes it not worth it without a $10 off coupon. Ya. I'm cheap. 

Reviews. You got a ton? Better hope they're good. People are fickle but goddamn, anything less than 4* = skip.

Those are basically it for me. There is one thing about fried chicken though... I can only stomach it once a month, and I really think that's how often normal people eat the stuff. I mean I love good fried chicken and a cup of rice, but it is a rare treat because it's so bad for you. 

9/23/20 8:51 PM
1/27/12
VictoryJay -

A red flag for me is that when I googled your resturant, the website link was a dead domain.  If I were a customer interested in finding local chicken, I wouldnt take a chance based on this alone.

useful

9/23/20 8:52 PM
1/27/12
TFK_shampoohorn -

Here is how I use these services:

Coupon. I generally won't order without a coupon. Service fees plus delivery, plus the usual upcharging compared to actual restaurant menu makes it not worth it without a $10 off coupon. Ya. I'm cheap. 

Reviews. You got a ton? Better hope they're good. People are fickle but goddamn, anything less than 4* = skip.

Those are basically it for me. There is one thing about fried chicken though... I can only stomach it once a month, and I really think that's how often normal people eat the stuff. I mean I love good fried chicken and a cup of rice, but it is a rare treat because it's so bad for you. 

legit no offence...I am like you

But the customers I am after don't care about price so much.  Like people often would order a $10 meal and pay $10 in tax tip and delivery.  Many don't care.

9/23/20 8:53 PM
1/27/12
OblongBox -
mikethecricket -
Captain Canuck -

Pics of food?

You should zoom in on the pic more. I can barely see the food

Not zoomed in.  Those cobs of corn are 3' long.

9/23/20 8:57 PM
11/5/09

Have you tried adding free ketchup AND gravy to every order?

9/23/20 8:59 PM
7/8/13
KeezyDoesIt -

Have you tried adding free ketchup AND gravy to every order?

That's all Robbie wanted. I don't think he was asking for too much

9/23/20 8:59 PM
3/23/07

Never heard of Skip the Dishes, but I order from Uber Eats frequently. Get on Uber Eats!

9/23/20 9:00 PM
1/1/01

Hey really sorry to hear that you're struggling.  Best wishes on turning it around.  Maybe consider some of the marketing aspects like social media ads, Facebook, YouTube etc that you can do free or inexpensively. Maybe a name or logo change? Get a mascot or a jingle?  I'm not in marketing, just some ideas from a non business owner.