OtherGround Forums Wife bought a new MacBook Air / Fuck Apple

12 days ago
6/16/10
MasterofdisguiseRooster -
Powdered Toast Man -

Apple products are worth every damn nickel.  

I’m no fanboy but you get what you pay for. 

My MacBook Air is several years old and has not had a single problem.

My iPhone 8 runs flawlessly.

Wireless charging AirPods...amazing.

Don’t worry, I’ll vote myself down.

This. Best laptop I’ve owned 6 years later and as good as the day I got it.

Worth every toonie 

Toonies and loonies. Man I miss chucking them at your strippers in Kelowna (was there for a wedding in September last year).

12 days ago
3/6/06
hjr2 -

128 GB hard drive 

13” screen

8 gigs of ram. 

2 USB ports I’ve never seen before that need a $25 adapter for USB that everyone else uses 

$1500 for the computer 

Fuck this company. They get more and more expensive and give you less and less while changing every port to something proprietary that won’t function without some other proprietary adapter. No way to update or upgrade any internal parts. This is what happens when business degrees take over. Zero creativity while nickle and diming the consumer. I hope they go under and take every board member down with them. 

A Macbook Air with those specs would be $1099 new and they were sale priced at $699 a few days ago.

There's nothing particularly unusual about USB-C at this point.

12 days ago
3/6/06
Jayn200 -
Eskimo -

Bought my wife a used MacBook Air about 7 years ago. It still works perfectly. I’ve never had a windows product that wasn’t a total piece of shit within 2 years. 

Have you ever spent $1500+ on a windows product?

People tend to compare $300 low spec windows laptops to $1500 or $2000 apple apples and it's just dishonest. 

If you buy a $1500 Windows laptop it will be going strong for years.

i think you lost the plot.

12 days ago
10/22/14
Pura Vida -
Jayn200 -
Eskimo -

Bought my wife a used MacBook Air about 7 years ago. It still works perfectly. I’ve never had a windows product that wasn’t a total piece of shit within 2 years. 

People tend to compare $300 low spec windows laptops to $1500 or $2000 apple apples and it's just dishonest. 

i think you lost the plot.

Which part?

People compare spec for spec and not price for price when comparing windows to apple when they make comments about how long they are still going strong, when you compare price for price the windows laptops will outperform from the day you bought them and even 5 year later theyll still be outperforming the macbook.

12 days ago
5/31/07
Macs are great for wives and older folks.
12 days ago
6/30/09

Macs are overpriced garbage. Wait unti I one of you guys has a problem with one and you realize you have almost zero chance of fixing it yourself and the Mac people are going to charge you 2/3 of what you originally paid to fix it. 

Wonder if they egot got around to fixing the ballooning batteries issue they had for a damn decade...

12 days ago
7/30/14

I have a couple of friends who have MacBook Pro’s and swear by them. I go Apple for phones and purely by spec for PC’s/Laptops. My HP Omen has been flawless for the last few years.

12 days ago
8/20/03
hjr2 - 

128 GB hard drive 

13” screen

8 gigs of ram. 

2 USB ports I’ve never seen before that need a $25 adapter for USB that everyone else uses 

$1500 for the computer 

Fuck this company. They get more and more expensive and give you less and less while changing every port to something proprietary that won’t function without some other proprietary adapter. No way to update or upgrade any internal parts. This is what happens when business degrees take over. Zero creativity while nickle and diming the consumer. I hope they go under and take every board member down with them. 

Yeah, Apple screw you quietly.

12 days ago
11/14/11

at least now she will be smashing candy crush

12 days ago
4/9/19

My iPad pro is the biggest waste of money I've ever bought.   Fuck this iPhone too.  Never again 

12 days ago
1/5/11

Are we talking better value here for the wife or for the computer. I'd trade the wife in for a more recent model, and Apple computer can go fuck themselves.

12 days ago
12/18/03
hjr2 - 

How do companies get away with this shit and still manage to keep raking in money? It’s so dishonest and insulting. 

They get away with it because there's billions of idiots who buy that crap.

12 days ago
5/8/10

And now you can't upgrade the storage you are stuck with a brick. Total waste of money bro, sorry for your loss .. of money.. 

12 days ago
9/29/10

maaan amazon was selling the same one on black friday for $699.

12 days ago
4/9/10

My first MacBook Pro was faster after 5 years than almost all of my colleagues new windows laptops. My second MacBook Pro lasted 7 years and still ran great except for the battery. I’ve got a brand new MacBook Air and it’s awesome. 

Every apple computer I’ve purchased has been excellent. I would never spend that kind of money on a windows machine that’ll be useless after 18mo. Not to mention MacOS has never put out a product as infuriatingly retarded as Windows 8. 

12 days ago
11/10/18
Jayn200 -
Eskimo -

I paid $800 for the Apple. I’ve absolutely paid $800 or more for windows based laptops. 

12 days ago
4/1/11
hjr2 -

128 GB hard drive 

13” screen

8 gigs of ram. 

$1500 for the computer 

The only way to forgive her is if she gets her hot friends logins so u can see their icloud

Edited: 12 days ago
1/16/19

Bought a Macbook after having exactly four windows laptops from a couple different manufacturers. All the the windows laptops were piles of shite within two years. Bought the Macbook in 2008 and I am still using the fucker as my primary computer. 11 fucking years ago!! My experience has Apple lasting 5 times longer tham your average windows pc garbage.

12 days ago
1/1/01

Macs use identical hardware as PCs. You're paying for the OS. Most people are apparently too stupid to keep junk off their PCs. 

12/10/09
TwoFatNuts -

Macs are overpriced garbage. Wait unti I one of you guys has a problem with one and you realize you have almost zero chance of fixing it yourself and the Mac people are going to charge you 2/3 of what you originally paid to fix it. 

Wonder if they egot got around to fixing the ballooning batteries issue they had for a damn decade...

They did have a ballooning battry problem, just like my work Laptop did (dell latitude). Pretty hard to find a company that's never had that issue.

Almost everyone that ikes Mac's has used PC's for many years to compare. The people that hate on Mac's rarley have the experience to justify it, except OP, who somehow thinks they lied to him because he's never heard of USB-C.

12 days ago
5/28/12

Computers are fast and reliable nowadays. If you spend $1500 on either a Windows or Mac laptop it will be awesome. Just go with the OS you prefer. 

12/10/09
DaveFu -

Macs use identical hardware as PCs. You're paying for the OS. Most people are apparently too stupid to keep junk off their PCs. 

No they don't. They are paying for the fact that the hardware all works together flawlessly and you don't ever end up looking through your device manager searching for the "?" and uninstalling/reinstalling drivers just to get working. Maybe for some people spending time on BS like installing drivers and working through hardware issues isn't worth $, but for some of us it makes a big difference when I can go anywhere, plug in something like a printer at a random office or home and the thing just works, no drivers necessary.

12 days ago
1/1/01

I used to be the biggest Mac fanboy.  From the orignal Macintosh in 1985 up through the mid 2000s.  My last Mac was a Macbook Pro Aluminum - with an external battery.  

Early in my engineering career I worked for a group that made battery packs and chargers for a variety of devices.  I know a lot about rechargable batteries, and I wrote the firmware for battery chargers in addition to designing circuitry in chargers.  

Batteries go bad over time. There is no known battery technology that avoids aging where a battery retains its original capacity and original self-impedance.  Over time capacity decreases and impedance increases.  It's the result of the migration of ions back and forth through the separator between the electrodes.  There are some very expensive battery technologies that last a long time, like those used in satellites, or the Voyager spacecraft.  But they all degrade over time.  

When Apple stopped using external battery packs and put only embedded the batteries in their laptops, that was a deal breaker for me.  I knew batteries would go bad, and it seemed like a crass move for planned obsolesence to me.

When it was found out that iPhones were intentionally throttling data to deal with old batteries, that made perfect sense to me.  Higher data rates require more transmit current, and given that battery impedance increases over time, more current causes more voltage drop out of the battery, which can cause the phone to crash.  I don't think they wanted to throttle data, but they had to reduce current draw in older phones because user's could not simply buy a new battery.  

I have a Samsung phone; I recently replaced the battery because I noticed it wasn't lasting as long on a full charge.  The new battery cost me $13. It works every bit as good as the original battery did when it was new.  

I switched over to Windows about the time Windows 7 came out, and have not looked back.  Two of my laptops  (I mean my family) have had their original (external) batteries go bad.  I bought new ones.  They weren't as cheap as my cell phone replacement battery, but it wasn't a ridiculous cost.  

I will never buy a phone or laptop with an embedded battery.  

12 days ago
4/3/16

MacBook is way too overpriced for casual user. U basically pay for flawless integration of ecosystems/software into ur system. This makes a lot of sense for IT professionals, which don't have the time fix issues here and there - it just needs to work in a stable fashion.

If u have the money...why not. Of course you can sth cheaper with similar hardware.

1/1/01
scrapdo - 
DaveFu -

No they don't. They are paying for the fact that the hardware all works together flawlessly and you don't ever end up looking through your device manager searching for the "?" and uninstalling/reinstalling drivers just to get working. Maybe for some people spending time on BS like installing drivers and working through hardware issues isn't worth $, but for some of us it makes a big difference when I can go anywhere, plug in something like a printer at a random office or home and the thing just works, no drivers necessary.

You apprently don't know what hardware is. Drivers are software/firmware.