OtherGround Forums Wife bought a new MacBook Air / Fuck Apple

10 days ago
5/9/10

dude, return that shit.

buy a real machine that doesn't cost as much as a new one to fix parts that arn't broken.

Make her watch Louis Rossman. 

any amount of time on his channel and you quickly learn what Apple is up to with their products.  It litterally has only been downhill since Jobs has died.  You can only over pay with their products.

10 days ago
6/7/05
I have an eMachines bottom of the line model laptop I bought for under $300 11 years ago that never gave me any problems at all. I still use it from time to time.

Electronics reliability is a crapshoot. Apple is ridiculously priced and proprietary, so the only basis I could ever see to buy an Apple product on would be if it offered functionality I needed that I couldn't get elsewhere.

Windows and android for me. Fuck being held hostage.
10 days ago
3/21/09
Jayn200 - 
Eskimo -

Bought my wife a used MacBook Air about 7 years ago. It still works perfectly. I’ve never had a windows product that wasn’t a total piece of shit within 2 years. 

Have you ever spent $1500+ on a windows product?

People tend to compare $300 low spec windows laptops to $1500 or $2000 apple apples and it's just dishonest. 

If you buy a $1500 Windows laptop it will be going strong for years.

Compare apples-to-apples (ha) and a $1500 Windows machine will demolish a similarly priced Apple in performance and specs and match or exceed reliability. You can find a Win10 machines for around half the price that will have perform as well or better even.

However, something many people don't consider is that brands do make a difference with Windows machines while Apple is a singular, established brand.

One example: the corporation I work for used mid-tier HP's for years (HP ProBook as one model) and in a company of over 3000, we had very few equipment failures. I personally still have one that I've used for the better part of a decade that has never had a hiccup.

They switched contracts to Lenovo branded equipment, similar price/specs and have had nothing but issues. HDD failures, screens going out, docks dying, etc. My personal one just seems sluggish and is prone to overheating while doing very little.

Same specs, similar price, but different brands/components/build quality made a world of difference.

My advice would be to research the brand/model of Windows machine and make sure it is solid. However, if you're not interested in doing that, spend a lot more money and go with a Mac as they are typically pretty reliable.
10 days ago
10/3/12

Yeah, I built my own PC and love the thing. I5-4690K over clocked to 4GHZ, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB, a 250GB SSD and 1 TB hard drive and a Rift S for about the same price as that shit MacBook she bought. 

10 days ago
3/18/02
Jayn200 - 
Eskimo -

Bought my wife a used MacBook Air about 7 years ago. It still works perfectly. I’ve never had a windows product that wasn’t a total piece of shit within 2 years. 

People tend to compare $300 low spec windows laptops to $1500 or $2000 apple apples and it's just dishonest. 

I probably owned 10 windows laptops ranging in brands in the last 15 years.  They all took a shit after a couple of years.  

very grudgingly switched to apple and the machine is much much better IMO 

10 days ago
10/27/03
hjr2 - 

Yeah, I built my own PC and love the thing. I5-4690K over clocked to 4GHZ, 16GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB, a 250GB SSD and 1 TB hard drive and a Rift S for about the same price as that shit MacBook she bought. 

In the opening post you didn't know what USB-C and had never seen one before, and thought it was some sort of new proprietary adapter.

But you also build your own PCs?

I call shenanigans.
10 days ago
1/1/01
The Air has a long history as the shittiest macbook. It's the ultracompact, lower powered, basic use model. Basically a casual user or light office work machine. It's value is in it's slimness/portability.

But yeah, it sounds like all macbooks are garbage now (hope you bought Applecare+) and for 1500 you could get a decent spec'd Surface Pro or a decked out 2-3 year old Thinkpad, which are both higher quality computers which could be used for real work.
10 days ago
12/1/10
this is what I run 90% of the time

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) I maxed out the ram and put in a new 1T ssd drive and it works killer. handles all my design work and everything else I run no problem.
10 days ago
10/3/12
FingerorMoon -
hjr2 - 

In the opening post you didn't know what USB-C and had never seen one before, and thought it was some sort of new proprietary adapter.

But you also build your own PCs?

I call shenanigans.

I admit USB c is new to me. 

I built my own PC. I didn’t use the plural “PC’s” implying I was some kind of expert. You inferred it. My motherboard is a couple years old and only USB 3.0 capable. 

Proprietary parts was a blanket statement about the company and their products as a whole. You can’t plug headphones into my iPhone without some piece of gear. 

10 days ago
1/1/01
HTMNDN - this is what I run 90% of the time

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012) I maxed out the ram and put in a new 1T ssd drive and it works killer. handles all my design work and everything else I run no problem.

2012 - 2015 pre-retina macbook pros are awesome. Easily repaired and upgraded, no glued in batteries. They're just big, heavy bricks by today's standards. I have a couple, hope they stay usable for a few more years.
10 days ago
9/8/02
BigEyedFish - 
Jayn200 - 
Eskimo -

I probably owned 10 windows laptops ranging in brands in the last 15 years.  They all took a shit after a couple of years.  

very grudgingly switched to apple and the machine is much much better IMO 

You bought a $1500 dollar laptop roughly every other year? You can't be serious. Regardless, I was a big Mac supporter until 2012 when I switched back to a windows desktop because Apple just stopped making serious hardware. I was completely satisfied, no issues at all. 

The two laptops I purchased since 2012 were all in the 800-1200 dollar range and were better spec'd than anything apple offered for that price. 

10 days ago
10/3/12

I admit that it would be nice if PCs were as user friendly, I could just plug something in to it and it worked without all the study and research it takes to get the PC to speak to everything else. A lot of what fucks up my PC is figuring out what drivers I need and what needs to be run as an admin and wat goes in what folder. 

10 days ago
10/3/12
FingerorMoon -
hjr2 - 

128 GB hard drive 

13” screen

8 gigs of ram. 

2 USB ports I’ve never seen before that need a $25 adapter for USB that everyone else uses 

$1500 for the computer 

Fuck this company. They get more and more expensive and give you less and less while changing every port to something proprietary that won’t function without some other proprietary adapter. No way to update or upgrade any internal parts. This is what happens when business degrees take over. Zero creativity while nickle and diming the consumer. I hope they go under and take every board member down with them. 

You've never seen a USB-C port before?

Edit. Here you go. Dual USB stick for when files need to be transferred to ye-olde machines with USB-A:
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-256GB-Ultra-Drive-Type-C/dp/B01EZ0X3L8/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=dual%2Busb%2Bstick&qid=1575344745&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&sr=8-3&th=1

This is useful. Thanks for the heads up. 

10 days ago
3/6/06
BigRyana -
Jayn200 - 
Eskimo -

Compare apples-to-apples (ha) and a $1500 Windows machine will demolish a similarly priced Apple in performance and specs and match or exceed reliability. You can find a Win10 machines for around half the price that will have perform as well or better even.

However, something many people don't consider is that brands do make a difference with Windows machines while Apple is a singular, established brand.

One example: the corporation I work for used mid-tier HP's for years (HP ProBook as one model) and in a company of over 3000, we had very few equipment failures. I personally still have one that I've used for the better part of a decade that has never had a hiccup.

They switched contracts to Lenovo branded equipment, similar price/specs and have had nothing but issues. HDD failures, screens going out, docks dying, etc. My personal one just seems sluggish and is prone to overheating while doing very little.

Same specs, similar price, but different brands/components/build quality made a world of difference.

My advice would be to research the brand/model of Windows machine and make sure it is solid. However, if you're not interested in doing that, spend a lot more money and go with a Mac as they are typically pretty reliable.

To be fair the Macbook he says he bought for $1500 is $1099 at list price and almost always on sale for $200 off ($899).  Plus you could buy one for $650 last week.

10 days ago
10/3/12
Pura Vida -
BigRyana -
Jayn200 - 
Eskimo -

To be fair the Macbook he says he bought for $1500 is $1099 at list price and almost always on sale for $200 off ($899).  Plus you could buy one for $650 last week.

We live in Canada. Things aren’t that cheap here. 

10 days ago
12/5/10
QuietLittleHillbilly -

Bought a Macbook after having exactly four windows laptops from a couple different manufacturers. All the the windows laptops were piles of shite within two years. Bought the Macbook in 2008 and I am still using the fucker as my primary computer. 11 fucking years ago!! My experience has Apple lasting 5 times longer tham your average windows pc garbage.

Same . They run forever and never have problems 

10 days ago
3/6/06
hjr2 -
Pura Vida -
BigRyana -
Jayn200 - 
Eskimo -

We live in Canada. Things aren’t that cheap here. 

Was it $1500 US or CDN?  I live in Costa Rica same problem.

10 days ago
10/3/12

$1500 CAD. About $1100 US with the current exchange rate. She still has a MacBook Air from 2014 she can sell to recoup some, even though I want to trade it for a guitar amp. 

10 days ago
1/1/01
Apple isn't doing anything except profit gouging consumers and making faulty innovations such as the butterfly keyboards (and now they're going back to old style keyboards).

If you already made the mistake of investing in the MacBook ecosystem, Don't make another one by feeding Apple outrageous profit into its accessories ecosystem. USBC dongles are outrageously cheap, and Apple makes just as much margin off of them as it does off of the $20 Lightning cables that break all the time and that it has never improved, even though they cost the company less than a dollar each.

That same USBC dongle that gives you HDMI ports and USB 3.0 ports that Apple wants to charge you high double digits for, on average you can find for around under 10 bucks on eBay, complete with power delivery pass through. They are commodity products.

Luckily they outrageous money the company makes off of the lightning connectors and the MFI program, will soon end since iPhone 12 is slated to move to USBC just like Apple's other devices. In addition to the form factor change, the display upgrade, the return of touch ID, and so on, buying an iPhone 11 now is only going to result in buyers remorse 10 months from now.

Those rants aside, when it comes to laptops, I'll say something I never in my life ever thought I would say - The real innovator now isn't Apple in laptops, it is HP, HP is taking design risks that no one else is, and that today's Apple never will.

Take a look at the leather-bound HP Folio.

Or HP's newest gem-cut form factors.

Apple uses the same ODMs as many PC manufacturers, most civilians have no clue. Also many MacBook owners like to give examples of Windows machines as mentioned that were either budget machines, or in earlier eras with old school hard drives, and less than stellar versions of Windows.

New windows 10 machines are fairly impressive, across many companies.

Either way, most people Will side with whatever they purchased unless something outrageous goes wrong. Macbooks are not a bad choice, but they will never be a bargain, nor as trouble free as they are made out to be.

Another money saving piece of advice is to never listen to Apple when it comes to maintaining your MacBook because it gets slow.

The first and best thing you can do is to completely wipe the drive and start fresh with a Mac OS reinstall. I've seen many clueless and ignorant MacBook owners go straight to buying a newer faster machine, moving to a bigger SSD, upgrading memory, and doing a lot of other things, when the only thing they really needed to do is back their stuff up and start with a fresh new install of OS X. Contrary to what a lot of unknowledgeable MacBook owners like to say, OSX does in fact get fragmented, cluttered up, and more or less boggy and slow just like Windows does over time. If you want to reinvigorate your machine the answer is not more money, the answer is first to install fresh copy of the OS.

For creatives, MacBooks will continue to be the machine of choice, and no small part due to social cachet within that community, and prevalence of editing tools.
10 days ago
12/9/13

10 days ago
10/27/03

It is a scientific fact that the Touch Bar on MacBook Pro's sucks major ass.
Everyone, including the biggest Apple fanboys aree on that.
10 days ago
9/13/06

I bought something similar back in January of 2015.  My wife still uses it as her laptop.  I’m not complaining about getting 5 years out of a laptop.  Her $300 Asus used to last 1 year before it was riddled with viruses and needed device.  

10 days ago
6/29/11

Have you tried hitting her?

10 days ago
7/12/13
The Donkeypuncher -

Have you tried hitting her?

Screen name checks out.

10 days ago
8/8/18
hjr2 -

How do companies get away with this shit and still manage to keep raking in money? It’s so dishonest and insulting. 

Because people keep buying them.