OtherGround Forums Worst financial mistake you've ever made?

23 days ago
5/6/14

Currently down $95,000 on my investment portfolio. Bought some really dumb shit and it's just done nothing but tank the past year. Have about 70k left so things could be a lot worse but it still stings. At least I can sleep at night I guess. 

What's the worst you've done bros? 

23 days ago
3/16/06

I bought like $200 of DRYS and they reverse split me down to 0. I should have known better. Also I have some litecoin and ethereum that is basically worth shit now. That was like $1k down the drain. 

23 days ago
4/19/09

Getting married. 

23 days ago
9/12/10

I financed a car for my then girlfriend when I was in my early 20's. 

23 days ago
8/23/11
Dazed -

Currently down $95,000 on my investment portfolio. Bought some really dumb shit and it's just done nothing but tank the past year. Have about 70k left so things could be a lot worse but it still stings. At least I can sleep at night I guess. 

What's the worst you've done bros? 

Why are you holding? If you think it’s going back up then double down and invest more while it’s cheap

id you think it’s going down get out 

23 days ago
3/21/12
Forgetting to put $1000 in ethereum in late 2016.
23 days ago
1/1/01
Bought a condo before the housing bubble burst.
23 days ago
8/23/11
TheDarkPassenger -

This is a story I could hear more of... go on 

23 days ago
12/10/11
Luke Rockhard -

Getting married. 

Ha!

23 days ago
4/11/10

Raped by Crypto

Raped by stocks

lifetime losses a little over 100K

fml

23 days ago
4/15/16
Went to the doctor once.
23 days ago
3/21/12
Dead President - 

Raped by Crypto

Raped by stocks

lifetime losses a little over 100K

fml

Your lifetime gains/losses are -100k? That's impressive.
23 days ago
1/1/01

Credit cards. 

23 days ago
9/25/05
Luke Rockhard -

Getting married. 

This

23 days ago
5/14/10
One time I mixed friends and money.
23 days ago
1/1/01

Sirius stock

23 days ago
12/2/09

Moved to a more conservative retirement holding prior to the 2016 election. Missed out on some serious growth waiting around but still earning modest returns on matched conteibutions and profit sharing so not too upset. 

Worse than that might be utilizing a cash out refi on a car..not something I’d normally recommend.

23 days ago
2/26/11

Bought a blue name

23 days ago
3/16/06
Cire -

Sirius stock

Lol, is it still like $5 a share? I bought some when Howard announced and thought I'd be a millionaire. Basically broke even after holding way too long.

23 days ago
6/9/10

Early in my investment timeline I invested in mutual funds with high management fees, basically killing my returns.

I now manage my own investments and life is better.  

23 days ago
12/5/17

scotch

23 days ago
9/13/19
Not going all in on the market when my back-testing model told me I should go all in. I've made hundreds of thousands (really over a million) in the market, but it could have been even more. Way more. :(

23 days ago
9/12/10
androb -
TheDarkPassenger -

Girlfriend lost her job while pregnant. The plan was that she would get a job after our little one was 3 months old or so. She didn't have a car at the time so I financed one for her under the condition that she make the payments when she returned to work. She decided to use the opportunity to stop working indefinitely. We broke up and I took the car from her. While taking the car she kept screaming it was her car. She became amazingly petty after that and came by to repo a kitchen trash can that she remembered paying for.

23 days ago
9/12/10
TheDarkPassenger -
androb -
TheDarkPassenger -

Girlfriend lost her job while pregnant. The plan was that she would get a job after our little one was 3 months old or so. She didn't have a car at the time so I financed one for her under the condition that she make the payments when she returned to work. She decided to use the opportunity to stop working indefinitely. We broke up and I took the car from her. While taking the car she kept screaming it was her car. She became amazingly petty after that and came by to repo a kitchen trash can that she remembered paying for.

I should add that the vehicle depreciated $9k in that time which was 3-4 months or so. 

23 days ago
6/12/13
TheDarkPassenger -
androb -
TheDarkPassenger -

You got bigger problems than financial. You tied to dealing with that ho for 18 years