OtherGround Forums Wuhan Coronavirus daily update counts: 10,192,727

Edited: 3/2/20 2:15 AM
5/14/13

3/2/20 2:36 AM
7/26/12
D241 -

It has it's upsides. (not having family)

Then exit stage left. If you can’t handle objective info that’s on you. 

3/2/20 2:40 AM
10/1/03

What's really fucking irritating are my chinese national peeps in china who have since the beginning saying america has it worse than china as that's how it's spun to a lot of them. Deep down you know they want America to get smashed by it... passive aggressive bastards that need a good conquering.
3/2/20 2:40 AM
7/26/12
D241 -

I don't wish any ill will on any of you.  We all share the common love of mma. 

I'm just trying to create balance.  In my 40 years on this earth, I've never seen such wide spread panic like this and I truly feel it's causing more harm than good.  If I need to be out of character and be an outlandish asshole to make a point, I guess that's the route I went. 

Unfortunately, loudmouthed assholes tend to get heard.  I might be guilty of that in this thread, but honestly, my intentions are good.  

I don't want anyone here to panic.  I want every to do this:

1.Think Positive

We are in 2020.  When the flu happened in 1918, that was bad then, but that was 102 years ago.

I promise you, if we went back in time in the year 1918 and told them we'd have anti vaccines for the flu, it would not only be okay, but we would create a device that can answer just about any question you can think of and that one device could also have what is called an electronic car pull up to your doorstep, they would think you were batshit crazy.

Humans are incredibly smart.  We have survived for thousands of years.  In terms of technology, we are more advanced now than ever and it's only going to improve. 

If you truly are worried to the point you're thinking of buying a protective mask, do some research.  Don't use them if you don't have a problem.  If there are shortages due to the public buying them when it's not needed, what happens if hospital workers need the masks? 

Live life.  Be positive. Remember how how bad ass humans are and if millions of people around the world are in danger, imagine what millions of people working together for one common cure could do.

I work in healthcare.

im in hospitals.

i have family that fits the criteria of being very vulnerable.

thinking positive is for essential oil phaggots.

3/2/20 3:00 AM
7/31/09

D241 you are being a douche.  He's literally reporting information that is showing the overall situation improving. 

Active cases are declining and severe cases are declining.

On top of all that the cases outside of China and Iran are showing a lower mortality rate (around 1%) and a MUCH lower serious and critical rate (closer to 4%)

Outside of China and Iran the numbers are this

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

84 (1%) of total cases

Recovered:

439 (5.4%) of total cases

ACTIVE CASES 

Currently Infected Patients

7257 (96.2%) in Mild Condition

290 (3.8%) in Serious or Critical

3/2/20 3:23 AM
2/27/03
FCTV808 - 

What's really fucking irritating are my chinese national peeps in china who have since the beginning saying america has it worse than china as that's how it's spun to a lot of them. Deep down you know they want America to get smashed by it... passive aggressive bastards that need a good conquering.

I think i Posted this before - but had calls coming from japan going back about 3 weeks from families and friends asking if we were doing ok out here in California on account of the flu.

3/2/20 3:36 AM
4/20/08
D241 -

Health experts warn that stocking up on the disposable masks could do more harm than good by limiting their availability to doctors and nurses. If the coronavirus outbreak should cause a run on anything, they say, it should be soap and water instead.

There are good reasons to wear masks — namely, to protect others. Surgeons use them so they don’t cough or sneeze into open wounds. Emergency room staff hand them out to visitors with respiratory symptoms to protect others in the waiting area. Doctors diligently swap their masks between visits with immune-suppressed patients, to avoid exposing them to clinging pathogens.

If you’re already sick, mask-wearing is good practice. Donning a paper mask on a crowded train or bus, for instance, can minimize the degree to which a cough or sneeze disseminates infectious fluid onto neighbors and handrails that will be grabbed throughout the day.

But for everyone else, the masks are simply “unnecessary,” said Alex Azar, secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services.

Cire-quit causing panic

This is retarded, hospitals get their masks from giant medical distribution companies, not fucking Walmart or Target. There is NEVER going to be a shortage of them. These arent some endangered species. Also, there are different types, the typical ear loop and the tie on fluid resistant ones, which are a little less common, and a pain in the ass due to not being able to quickly slip them on. Also, any mask is limited after x amount of time, as it gets weaker due to respiration soaking it. 

With this version of the virus being airborne, a surgical mask will not help nearly as much as a respirator, but is much better than nothing, especially if you encounter somebody with the virus and you are BOTH wearing a mask. 

3/2/20 5:06 AM
12/9/13
robbie380 -

D241 you are being a douche.  He's literally reporting information that is showing the overall situation improving. 

On top of all that the cases outside of China and Iran are showing a lower mortality rate (around 1%) and a MUCH lower serious and critical rate (closer to 4%)

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

84 (1%) of total cases

Recovered:

ACTIVE CASES 

i though you compare death count against cured? so its a 6,5% death rate

Edited: 3/2/20 6:39 AM
1/1/01
D241 -

2nd death of the corona virus happened today.  70 year old with pre-existing health conditions.

Gee, go figure.

What's next, you going to tell me 70 year olds with pre-existing health conditions are also in danger of dying over things like the flu or a common cold? Oh the horror oh the shock.

Cire-if you are a 70 year old with pre-existing health issues, I apologize.  And I assume your name is Nancy.

Lol, you must have not seen the post where I said it is interesting to see the evolution of this disease.   I am not worried at all, just posting to see a timeline. 

...and if anyone is being a Nancy, it is you. 

3/2/20 7:08 AM
11/21/15
Non N00B -
D241 -

Health experts warn that stocking up on the disposable masks could do more harm than good by limiting their availability to doctors and nurses. If the coronavirus outbreak should cause a run on anything, they say, it should be soap and water instead.

There are good reasons to wear masks — namely, to protect others. Surgeons use them so they don’t cough or sneeze into open wounds. Emergency room staff hand them out to visitors with respiratory symptoms to protect others in the waiting area. Doctors diligently swap their masks between visits with immune-suppressed patients, to avoid exposing them to clinging pathogens.

If you’re already sick, mask-wearing is good practice. Donning a paper mask on a crowded train or bus, for instance, can minimize the degree to which a cough or sneeze disseminates infectious fluid onto neighbors and handrails that will be grabbed throughout the day.

But for everyone else, the masks are simply “unnecessary,” said Alex Azar, secretary of the Department of Health and Human Services.

Cire-quit causing panic

This is retarded, hospitals get their masks from giant medical distribution companies, not fucking Walmart or Target. There is NEVER going to be a shortage of them. These arent some endangered species. Also, there are different types, the typical ear loop and the tie on fluid resistant ones, which are a little less common, and a pain in the ass due to not being able to quickly slip them on. Also, any mask is limited after x amount of time, as it gets weaker due to respiration soaking it. 

With this version of the virus being airborne, a surgical mask will not help nearly as much as a respirator, but is much better than nothing, especially if you encounter somebody with the virus and you are BOTH wearing a mask. 

There are already reports of hospitals running out of them.

3/2/20 7:11 AM
1/12/07

https://www.foxnews.com/health/advisor-irans-supreme-leader-dies-from-coronavirus-1150-cases-middle-east-linked-to-country.amp?__twitter_impression=true

I think they're being rounded up .

3/2/20 7:15 AM
1/12/07
SpunQ -

https://www.foxnews.com/health/advisor-irans-supreme-leader-dies-from-coronavirus-1150-cases-middle-east-linked-to-country.amp?__twitter_impression=true

I think they're being rounded up .

https://english.alarabiya.net/en/News/middle-east/2020/02/28/Iran-s-former-envoy-to-Vatican-Hadi-Khosroshahi-dies-of-coronavirus.html

3/2/20 7:24 AM
8/29/09
Non N00B -
D241 -

Cire-quit causing panic

And these distribution companies keep inventory based on projected usages.  Coronavirus outbreak was not in the projections.  Manufacturers produce at a rate to keep with projections from distributors.  Again, coronavirus was not in the considerations.  This stuff doesn't just appear out of thin air.  There may, or may not be additional manufacturing capacity available.  Some materials may be sourced overseas, and subject to shipping delays.  

I'm not saying that there will be a supply problem for hospitals, but to flattly say there won't be is ignorant.

3/2/20 7:25 AM
6/3/03

3/2/20 8:30 AM
7/31/09
Morpheus1976 -
robbie380 -

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

84 (1%) of total cases

Recovered:

ACTIVE CASES 

You look at the number of deaths versus the number of total cases not cured. 

"Case fatality rate is calculated by dividing the number of deaths from a specified disease over a defined period of time by the number of individuals diagnosed with the disease during that time; the resulting ratio is then multiplied by 100 to yield a percentage."

Further, you could also look at the serious/critical case rate to get a better snapshot of things as well.  I think it is important to pay attention to South Korea and the Diamond Princess because in these places they are testing large amounts of people.  With the Diamond Princess they got the entire ship tested and South Korea is the gold standard of large scale testing. 

Currently in SK they have 4335 total cases and 4279 active.  Out of that 26 have died and only 27 are in serious/critical condition.  So out of the active cases only 0.6% are in grave condition and about 0.6% of all the cases recognized so far have ended in death.  SK also has the crazy situation of dealing with that religious cult that was infecting themselves on purpose.  Here's some recent numbers on that...

The Diamond Prince example a little less than 20% of the people on the ship got infected which was 705 people.  7 died for a little less than a 1% death rate and the current severe/critical rate is around 5.1%.  These rates are still very dangerous and would present a heavy burden for the hospitals but they are far better than the initial estimates of 20% of the cases ending up as severe/critical.  

Edited: 3/2/20 9:10 AM
1/1/01

I think D241 is confusing preparedness with panic.   While I'm sure some are panicking, you can't lump everyone together.

D241 sounds a bit like PouPou in China when this all first broke.  But then he got caught without supplies after the government shut everything down.   He's started as a skeptic but is now telling everyone he was wrong and to get prepared.  It seems like ignoring this and thinking it's nothing could be worse than getting ready.  I'd rather be ready and not need it than need it and not have it.

He might mean well but encouraging everyone to ignore it could be endangering their well being.

3/2/20 9:07 AM
3/9/13
Non N00B -
D241 -

Cire-quit causing panic

What? An email was sent to the major hospital system in my city city last week urging providers to conserve masks to any extent possible because they are already anticipating shortages. 

I've heard similar reports all over the country. 

3/2/20 9:19 AM
4/27/14
robbie380 - 
Morpheus1976 -
robbie380 -

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

84 (1%) of total cases

Recovered:

ACTIVE CASES 

"Case fatality rate is calculated by dividing the number of deaths from a specified disease over a defined period of time by the number of individuals diagnosed with the disease during that time; the resulting ratio is then multiplied by 100 to yield a percentage."

Further, you could also look at the serious/critical case rate to get a better snapshot of things as well.  I think it is important to pay attention to South Korea and the Diamond Princess because in these places they are testing large amounts of people.  With the Diamond Princess they got the entire ship tested and South Korea is the gold standard of large scale testing. 

Currently in SK they have 4335 total cases and 4279 active.  Out of that 26 have died and only 27 are in serious/critical condition.  So out of the active cases only 0.6% are in grave condition and about 0.6% of all the cases recognized so far have ended in death.  SK also has the crazy situation of dealing with that religious cult that was infecting themselves on purpose.  Here's some recent numbers on that...

The Diamond Prince example a little less than 20% of the people on the ship got infected which was 705 people.  7 died for a little less than a 1% death rate and the current severe/critical rate is around 5.1%.  These rates are still very dangerous and would present a heavy burden for the hospitals but they are far better than the initial estimates of 20% of the cases ending up as severe/critical.  

Won't the reported mortality rate be intrinsically high since it cannot count the number of asymptomatic cases that are not identified? That would mean the mortality rate is actually much lower...

3/2/20 10:44 AM
7/31/09
The Stewed Owl -
robbie380 - 
Morpheus1976 -
robbie380 -

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

84 (1%) of total cases

Recovered:

ACTIVE CASES 

Won't the reported mortality rate be intrinsically high since it cannot count the number of asymptomatic cases that are not identified? That would mean the mortality rate is actually much lower...

This is correct

3/2/20 12:56 PM
12/2/02
The Stewed Owl - 
robbie380 - 
Morpheus1976 -
robbie380 -

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

84 (1%) of total cases

Recovered:

ACTIVE CASES 

That is possible, but the counterpoint is that the mortality rate is measured against those who have died based on the current number of cases today instead of the total number of cases when those who died, contracted the disease. 

For instance we now know the mortality rate of SARS because all of the information is in. We have total cases and the total who died. 

We are using numbers from two different points in time currently.

Feel free to correct me.

3/2/20 1:31 PM
12/9/13
robbie380 -
Morpheus1976 -
robbie380 -

Coronavirus Cases:

Deaths:

84 (1%) of total cases

Recovered:

ACTIVE CASES 

only deaths and recovered are facts, the rest is a question mark.

that's why it should be altered

3/2/20 1:36 PM
7/6/14

Oh wow .. a patient that was released from quarantine went to the River City Mall in San Antonio. One of the busiest freaking malls. She then tested positive for the virus after displaying symptoms yet again. That's scary. 

3/2/20 2:17 PM
12/2/02
thebehemoth73 - 

Oh wow .. a patient that was released from quarantine went to the River City Mall in San Antonio. One of the busiest freaking malls. She then tested positive for the virus after displaying symptoms yet again. That's scary. 

Sure been too many that are testing negative after quarantine then displaying symptoms later. There was one in Florida as well I believe. 

I think they need to be quarantining people longer than 14 days.

This goes to my point in another thread, that we simply don't know everything that we need to about this virus.

3/2/20 2:22 PM
12/2/02

BREAKING: King Co. Health announces a total of 14 confirmed #coronavirus cases in Washington.
5 deaths.
17 member @CDCgov team is now in the state.

3/2/20 2:35 PM
11/1/03

Question, when are you contageous to others, when you have it. Is it as soon as your infected or when you show signs?