OtherGround Forums Wuhan Coronavirus daily update counts: 10,192,727

3/10/20 12:53 AM
8/2/19
Soup and Beer -
D241 - 
The Stewed Owl - 

https://nypost.com/2020/03/08/coronavirus-going-to-hit-its-peak-and-start-falling-sooner-than-you-think/

That's fantastic!

But I bet Turducken and others will still find a way to panic.

I love finally getting some good news but would recommend caution about the source.

Here is a glaring error in his report that is patently false:

"Clearly, flu is vastly more contagious than the new coronavirus, as the WHO has noted."

The R0 for inluenza is 1.4.   R0 for covid19 is 2.3 to 2.5 according to WHO.  Los Alamos researchers using a different model place it from 2.0 to 5.0.

I don't want to be negative but would prefer real data.  I don't know if this guy is just making up his numbers or got bad information.

"Here is a glaring error in his report that is patently false:"

Yes but you're missing the most important fact which is that the author AGREES with him.  R0 RI whatever...  the point is he has someone he can reference and not just anyone but someone who is not trained in the field or any related field and who has a blog.

3/10/20 12:57 AM
1/1/01

^^ I don't think D241 is trying to be dismissive of the virus or be "right" about it.  I think he is trying to shed a bit of positivity amidst all the doom and gloom.   Nothing wrong with that but I would prefer hard cold facts at this time.

1/7/09
D241 -

There will definitely be people who have to eat crow in this thread, only time will tell.

I either for sure am one of them, or I for sure will be quoting some posters in the future.

I'm confident in time I'll be quoting instead of being quoted.

Patience.

You keep ducking the question.

Respond to the post I made above and the statements of the surgeon in Italy who is currently treating infected patients. You only look for confirmation from anecdotal or unfounded stories supporting your idea that the virus isnt dangerous, and you ignore everything else.  You have still yet to post anything at all from even a single virologist or epidemiologist backing up your position.

https://www.reddit.com/r/medicine/comments/ff8hns/testimony_of_a_surgeon_working_in_bergamo_in_the/

I'm not panicking, I'm countering the spread of dangerous misinformation.

8/2/19
D241 -

There will definitely be people who have to eat crow in this thread, only time will tell.

I either for sure am one of them, or I for sure will be quoting some posters in the future.

Patience.

No doubt that you will claim victory no matter how bad it gets.  The good thing is no one here really cares. Its like letting the special needs kid hit a layup on the court.  Then you watch him ding it off the rim a few times, miss the net entirely, etc.  It might be a little annoying, but in the end were good people so we will let you keep trying.

3/10/20 1:01 AM
11/20/09

Lmao, you insinuate I'm retarded and then suggest you're good people lol 

That's funny.

Let me put the ball in your court.  Regarding me and you and the corona virus, what bet do you propose since you're so worried about this thing?

3/10/20 1:03 AM
8/2/19
Soup and Beer -

^^ I don't think D241 is trying to be dismissive of the virus or be "right" about it.  I think he is trying to shed a bit of positivity amidst all the doom and gloom.   Nothing wrong with that but I would prefer hard cold facts at this time.

The person hes quoting is not a dr or PhD and has previously been very dismissive of this and compared it to SARS and pointed out SARS only had 8k cases (this was before it skyrocketted far 15x 8k).

SO D241 is not only being very dismissive but also digging in his heels now.  Dont get me wrong its entertaining... but let's call it what it is.  No need to defend his actions.

Edited: 3/10/20 1:08 AM
1/1/01
D241 - 

Patience.

Well I certainly wasn't expecting a zombie apocalypse.  But the virus has already caused more harm to the global economy than I had expected.

Are we eating the dead?   No.  But to contain and mitigate the full potential damage nations are having to basically shut down their economies and quarantine millions.   I have no idea if it will get as bad here but virus' don't respect borders.  I know of nothing different in the United States that would prevent what's happening in Italy.  We seemed to have approached the problem the same way.  Italy had to deal with its spread about three weeks earlier than we did.  I suspect it will look very different here in a month.

3/10/20 1:07 AM
8/2/19
D241 -

That's funny.

Let me put the ball in your court.  Regarding me and you and the corona virus, what bet do you propose since you're so worried about this thing?

I wouldn't say retarded but rather just a little learning impaired. 

And I'm not sure how we could bet... am I suppose to trust that you will get tested and then show your medical results to me?  That would be a difficult ask of someone I trust.  You are a deceitful little ignoramus that I wouldn't trust with even telling me the correct time.

3/10/20 1:11 AM
11/20/09
jspeed - 
D241 -

That's funny.

And I'm not sure how we could bet... am I suppose to trust that you will get tested and then show your medical results to me?  That would be a difficult ask of someone I trust.  You are a deceitful little ignoramus that I wouldn't trust with even telling me the correct time.

Basically you're more afraid of losing to logic than you are of this corona virus.  GOT IT  lol

You should change your screen name to glass, because you are see through.

Keep spreading fear.

Keep acting scared.

It's entertaining.  

3/10/20 1:36 AM
8/2/19
D241 -
jspeed - 
D241 -

That's funny.

Basically you're more afraid of losing to logic than you are of this corona virus.  GOT IT  lol

You should change your screen name to glass, because you are see through.

Keep spreading fear.

Keep acting scared.

It's entertaining.  

"You should change your screen name to glass, because you are see through."

LMAO... shit.  I legit cringed.

3/10/20 2:15 AM
11/20/09

Image result for henry cejudo cringe

3/10/20 2:16 AM
11/20/09

3/10/20 3:19 AM
8/2/19

John Oliver lol.  Maybe next you can tell us what the spice girls and ja rule have to say about the Corona virus.

3/10/20 4:10 AM
2/27/03

3/10/20 5:25 AM
12/9/13

the problem isn;t the virus itself, but not enough IC beds to provide good healthcare.

if you are in a major car accident and there is no IC bed left, what are they gonna do?

3/10/20 6:34 AM
10/15/13

3/10/20 9:27 AM
12/19/10

get ready

3/10/20 10:06 AM
1/1/01

Coronavirus Cases:

view by country

Deaths:

Recovered:

ACTIVE CASES 

Currently Infected Patients

41,819 (88%) 

in Mild Condition

5,788 (12%) 

Serious or Critical

3/10/20 10:06 AM
10/16/10
KeijiKadekawa - 

"if China announces that its drugs are for domestic use and bans exports, the United States will fall into the hell of a new coronavirus epidemic." 

How is that threat not getting more attention? 

A few weeks ago on CBS's Face the Nation, the Chinese ambassador was asked directly if this was a bioweapon and he didn't deny the question, and now they're issuing ultimatums? 
3/10/20 10:28 AM
3/9/13
D241 -

Patience.

I don't understand what your argument even is.

This is a crisis in China. This is a crisis in Italy and Iran.

You think it won't turn into a crisis here? Why? You haven't provided any reasoning for anything as far as I can tell.

3/10/20 10:33 AM
3/9/13
Al Cappucino -

This thread was created a month ago almost to the day and there were 40k documented cases then whereas there are 116k cases now. Is there a point at which you don't have to be an infectious disease expert to start to be concerned?

3/10/20 10:36 AM
7/26/12
Al Cappucino -

Literally every topic on the forum*

3/10/20 10:39 AM
11/17/10

i ahvent made a single post about coronavirus

but have seen this thread on the list

the virus is here in my area (NYC/North jersey)...i htink peopl ehave already accepted that and some schools will be closing eventually

1 private school already closed in this town by me

3/10/20 10:52 AM
8/29/09
Caladan -
Al Cappucino -

This thread was created a month ago almost to the day and there were 40k documented cases then whereas there are 116k cases now. Is there a point at which you don't have to be an infectious disease expert to start to be concerned?

It would have to be spreading a lot faster, and be much deadlier for it to concern me a great deal personally.  It is my expectation that it will be handled professionally, and held in check like the many other diseases that have passed through the last several years.  People that dislike the administration will say it was handled terribly.  People that like the administration will say it was handled perfectly.  In the end, it will fade away with little societal impact.

3/10/20 11:08 AM
3/9/13
Bad Monkey -
Caladan -
Al Cappucino -

It would have to be spreading a lot faster, and be much deadlier for it to concern me a great deal personally.  It is my expectation that it will be handled professionally, and held in check like the many other diseases that have passed through the last several years.  People that dislike the administration will say it was handled terribly.  People that like the administration will say it was handled perfectly.  In the end, it will fade away with little societal impact.

The problem is that the number if cases is wayyyy artificially low. It's been in the U.S. for 7ish weeks now. We most likely (by the math) have thousands of cases. 

There was an Atlantic article yesterday that projects that Iran has around 2 million cases.