OtherGround Forums Wuhan Coronavirus daily update counts: 10,192,727

3/11/20 2:39 PM
4/13/12
Rahjai MD -

Comparing this virus to the flu is literally the peak of stupidity. 

you're underestimating this place.  it can get much more stupid.

3/11/20 3:46 PM
1/12/07
SpunQ -

I think rogue states will be fear mongered the worst.

Iran

Italy

Germany

New Zealand

Australia

Why ???

Soros .

Italy is in OD , Germany next? 

Edited: 3/11/20 3:52 PM
4/24/07
Rahjai MD - 

So the doctors saying it are stupid? Roger that. I will listen to the pretend doctor instead. 

3/11/20 4:00 PM
1/1/01
cfochs -
solidsnake -

Michigan State University just declared that will be online only until April 20th. They're also talking about closing down the state capitol.

Well, this is in my backyard now players.

Drink your stevia and do curls.

There are over 130 universities that have canceled in person because of the virus. 

Yes we just got an email about this here. Also my daughter is scheduled to graduate this May. Who know what will happen.

3/11/20 4:03 PM
12/9/13
David@accu -
Rahjai MD - 

So the doctors saying it are stupid? Roger that. I will listen to the pretend doctor instead. 

its not about the virus, its that this virus overloads the hospitals IC's beds

and if you need and ic bed after a severe car accident, and all beds are full, now what??

3/11/20 4:07 PM
4/11/08
David@accu - 
Rahjai MD - 

Which doctors? OBGYN's? Veterinarians? Physical therapists?

Because no one who deals with infectious disease thinks this is the flu. At least, no one credible.

Perhaps you should take the CDC, WHO, and every other major medical organisation in every affected country a bit more seriously than a random doctor with zero experience with this.

This is 30 times more deadly than the seasonal flu. This is not an opinion. This is what the actual evidence shows.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is either poorly informed or lying.
Edited: 3/11/20 4:36 PM
1/1/01

Coronavirus Cases:

view by country

Deaths:

Recovered:

ACTIVE CASES 

Currently Infected Patients

48,096 (89%) 

in Mild Condition

5,918 (11%) 

Serious or Critical

3/11/20 4:36 PM
5/5/07
hermanitor -
David@accu - 
Rahjai MD - 

Which doctors? OBGYN's? Veterinarians? Physical therapists?

Because no one who deals with infectious disease thinks this is the flu. At least, no one credible.

Perhaps you should take the CDC, WHO, and every other major medical organisation in every affected country a bit more seriously than a random doctor with zero experience with this.

This is 30 times more deadly than the seasonal flu. This is not an opinion. This is what the actual evidence shows.

Anyone who tells you otherwise is either poorly informed or lying.

Think he is referring to Dr. Drew lol

3/11/20 6:27 PM
1/1/01
Cire -

Coronavirus Cases:

view by country

Deaths:

Recovered:

ACTIVE CASES 

48,096 (89%) 

in Mild Condition

5,918 (11%) 

Serious or Critical

If anyone is looking at this closely like I am everyday the percent of serious/critical is falling each day

3/11/20 6:34 PM
1/7/09
the_shrike -
Cire -

Coronavirus Cases:

view by country

Deaths:

Recovered:

ACTIVE CASES 

48,096 (89%) 

in Mild Condition

5,918 (11%) 

Serious or Critical

If anyone is looking at this closely like I am everyday the percent of serious/critical is falling each day

Yea I've been watching that. The problem is that critical illness lags behind new cases.  It can take 2 weeks for someone to start showing any symptoms at all, and then they may be in the mild category for another couple of weeks before they start to shift into the critical group. 

I hope that's not the case though, and that all of the numbers do slow and go down.

3/11/20 7:23 PM
4/26/18

numbers in isolation can cause panic, numbers in context don't tend to - for example Italy (a hot spot) has almost 10,000 cases of the virus … sounds worrying? then try this

Population of Italy around 60 million which means the virus has infected 0.0158% of the population or, to put it another way… if you live in Italy you are 99.9842% likely to NOT have the virus

A news report stating 99.98% do not have the virus is far less concerning than headlines saying 10,000 people has the virus and its increasing by 200 per day 

3/11/20 8:58 PM
11/20/09

Plane tickets from Texas to Italy is going for just $45 right now.  Very tempting.

3/11/20 9:03 PM
1/1/01
D241 - 

Plane tickets from Texas to Italy is going for just $45 right now.  Very tempting.

I pulled up United and from Houston round trip to Milan is $1600

3/11/20 9:09 PM
11/20/09
Soup and Beer - 
D241 - 

I pulled up United and from Houston round trip to Milan is $1600

Ah you're right, I misread.  Don't know why it pulled up a city in Italy to another city in Italy.  Yeah I got $1300 was the best I could find.

3/11/20 9:15 PM
2/4/09

Looks like no travel to europe now

3/11/20 9:15 PM
2/4/09

Trump halted all travel for 30 days.... except to the UK lol

3/11/20 9:18 PM
11/1/03
Detruthis -

numbers in isolation can cause panic, numbers in context don't tend to - for example Italy (a hot spot) has almost 10,000 cases of the virus … sounds worrying? then try this

Population of Italy around 60 million which means the virus has infected 0.0158% of the population or, to put it another way… if you live in Italy you are 99.9842% likely to NOT have the virus

A news report stating 99.98% do not have the virus is far less concerning than headlines saying 10,000 people has the virus and its increasing by 200 per day 

If thats true its hard to fathoms Merkel saying 70% of all Germans will have the virus by next year.

3/11/20 9:29 PM
1/7/09
Detruthis -

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1237142891077697538.html

From a well respected friend and intensivist/A&E consultant who is currently in northern Italy:

1/ ‘I feel the pressure to give you a quick personal update about what is happening in Italy, and also give some quick direct advice about what you should do.   

2/ First, Lumbardy is the most developed region in Italy and it has a extraordinary good healthcare, I have worked in Italy, UK and Aus and don’t make the mistake to think that what is happening is happening in a 3rd world country.   

3/ The current situation is difficult to imagine and numbers do not explain things at all. Our hospitals are overwhelmed by Covid-19, they are running 200% capacity   

4/ We’ve stopped all routine, all ORs have been converted to ITUs and they are now diverting or not treating all other emergencies like trauma or strokes. There are hundreds of pts with severe resp failure and many of them do not have access to anything above a reservoir mask. 

5/ Patients above 65 or younger with comorbidities are not even assessed by ITU, I am not saying not tubed, I’m saying not assessed and no ITU staff attends when they arrest. Staff are working as much as they can but they are starting to get sick and are emotionally overwhelmed. 

6/ My friends call me in tears because they see people dying in front of them and they con only offer some oxygen. Ortho and pathologists are being given a leaflet and sent to see patients on NIV. PLEASE STOP, READ THIS AGAIN AND THINK. 

7/ We have seen the same pattern in different areas a week apart, and there is no reason that in a few weeks it won’t be the same everywhere, this is the pattern: 

8/ 1)A few positive cases, first mild measures, people are told to avoid ED but still hang out in groups, everyone says not to panick 2)Some moderate resp failures and a few severe ones that need tube, but regular access to ED is significantly reduced so everything looks great   

9/ 3)Tons of patients with moderate resp failure, that overtime deteriorate to saturate ICUs first, then NIVs, then CPAP hoods, then even O2. 4)Staff gets sick so it gets difficult to cover for shifts, mortality spikes also from all other causes that can’t be treated properly. 

10/ Everything about how to treat them is online but the only things that will make a difference are: do not be afraid of massively strict measures to keep people safe,   

11/ if governments won’t do this at least keep your family safe, your loved ones with history of cancer or diabetes or any transplant will not be tubed if they need it even if they are young. By safe I mean YOU do not attend them and YOU decide who does and YOU teach them how to.   

12/ Another typical attitude is read and listen to people saying things like this and think “that’s bad dude” and then go out for dinner because you think you’ll be safe.   

13/ We have seen it, you won’t be if you don’t take it seriously. I really hope it won’t be as bad as here but prepare.   

3/11/20 9:34 PM
2/4/09
turducken -
Detruthis -

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1237142891077697538.html

From a well respected friend and intensivist/A&E consultant who is currently in northern Italy:

1/ ‘I feel the pressure to give you a quick personal update about what is happening in Italy, and also give some quick direct advice about what you should do.   

2/ First, Lumbardy is the most developed region in Italy and it has a extraordinary good healthcare, I have worked in Italy, UK and Aus and don’t make the mistake to think that what is happening is happening in a 3rd world country.   

3/ The current situation is difficult to imagine and numbers do not explain things at all. Our hospitals are overwhelmed by Covid-19, they are running 200% capacity   

4/ We’ve stopped all routine, all ORs have been converted to ITUs and they are now diverting or not treating all other emergencies like trauma or strokes. There are hundreds of pts with severe resp failure and many of them do not have access to anything above a reservoir mask. 

5/ Patients above 65 or younger with comorbidities are not even assessed by ITU, I am not saying not tubed, I’m saying not assessed and no ITU staff attends when they arrest. Staff are working as much as they can but they are starting to get sick and are emotionally overwhelmed. 

6/ My friends call me in tears because they see people dying in front of them and they con only offer some oxygen. Ortho and pathologists are being given a leaflet and sent to see patients on NIV. PLEASE STOP, READ THIS AGAIN AND THINK. 

7/ We have seen the same pattern in different areas a week apart, and there is no reason that in a few weeks it won’t be the same everywhere, this is the pattern: 

8/ 1)A few positive cases, first mild measures, people are told to avoid ED but still hang out in groups, everyone says not to panick 2)Some moderate resp failures and a few severe ones that need tube, but regular access to ED is significantly reduced so everything looks great   

9/ 3)Tons of patients with moderate resp failure, that overtime deteriorate to saturate ICUs first, then NIVs, then CPAP hoods, then even O2. 4)Staff gets sick so it gets difficult to cover for shifts, mortality spikes also from all other causes that can’t be treated properly. 

10/ Everything about how to treat them is online but the only things that will make a difference are: do not be afraid of massively strict measures to keep people safe,   

11/ if governments won’t do this at least keep your family safe, your loved ones with history of cancer or diabetes or any transplant will not be tubed if they need it even if they are young. By safe I mean YOU do not attend them and YOU decide who does and YOU teach them how to.   

12/ Another typical attitude is read and listen to people saying things like this and think “that’s bad dude” and then go out for dinner because you think you’ll be safe.   

13/ We have seen it, you won’t be if you don’t take it seriously. I really hope it won’t be as bad as here but prepare.   

Ask him the ethnicity of the majority of the young people being admitted to the ICU if ya get a chance

3/11/20 9:35 PM
10/16/10

'We are 10 days away from the hospitals getting creamed,' warns former homeland security adviser

The U.S. is a little more than a week away from a health care crisis related to the new coronavirus, according to the man who once advised President Donald Trump on how to respond to pandemics.

"We are 10 days from the hospitals getting creamed,” Tom Bossert, who was Trump’s homeland security adviser until he was ousted in 2018, told NBC News. Bossert was never replaced, and Trump eliminated the national security council jobs related to disease outbreaks.

In an op-ed in The Washington Post published Monday, Bossert said that unless the U.S. closes schools, halts public gatherings and takes other steps to reduce community transmission, the country is headed for the sort of crisis Italy is now facing, with hospitals overwhelmed by elderly people in need of critical care. 

“Simply put, as evidence of human-to-human transmission becomes clear in a community, officials must pull the trigger on aggressive interventions,” Bossert wrote. “Time matters. Two weeks of delay can mean the difference between success and failure. Public health experts learned this in 1918 when the Spanish flu killed 50 million to 100 million people around the globe. If we fail to take action, we will watch our health-care system be overwhelmed.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/live-blog/coronavirus-updates-live-u-s-europe-brace-infection-spread-italy-n1153801/ncrd1154211#liveBlogHeader

Edited: 3/11/20 9:37 PM
2/4/09
Stache -

'We are 10 days away from the hospitals getting creamed,' warns former homeland security adviser

The U.S. is a little more than a week away from a health care crisis related to the new coronavirus, according to the man who once advised President Donald Trump on how to respond to pandemics.

"We are 10 days from the hospitals getting creamed,” Tom Bossert, who was Trump’s homeland security adviser until he was ousted in 2018, told NBC News. Bossert was never replaced, and Trump eliminated the national security council jobs related to disease outbreaks.

In an op-ed in The Washington Post published Monday, Bossert said that unless the U.S. closes schools, halts public gatherings and takes other steps to reduce community transmission, the country is headed for the sort of crisis Italy is now facing, with hospitals overwhelmed by elderly people in need of critical care. 

“Simply put, as evidence of human-to-human transmission becomes clear in a community, officials must pull the trigger on aggressive interventions,” Bossert wrote. “Time matters. Two weeks of delay can mean the difference between success and failure. Public health experts learned this in 1918 when the Spanish flu killed 50 million to 100 million people around the globe. If we fail to take action, we will watch our health-care system be overwhelmed.”

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/live-blog/coronavirus-updates-live-u-s-europe-brace-infection-spread-italy-n1153801/ncrd1154211#liveBlogHeader

If the hospital arent overwhelmed in 10 days this guy should lose his job.

The media should pay the price is this doesnt get as bad as they make it out to be. 

Edit: too bad it's an op/ed. 

3/11/20 9:55 PM
10/16/10
NoNeed4aScreenName - 
Stache -

The media should pay the price is this doesnt get as bad as they make it out to be. 

Nobody here is calling for that so I'll let you know in two weeks.
3/11/20 9:58 PM
6/23/12
NoNeed4aScreenName -
Stache -

The NBA just suspended their season. Smart people are worried about this. 

3/11/20 10:23 PM
2/4/06
NoNeed4aScreenName -
Stache -

You see, pricks like you have it easy.  We quarantine and it works, you cry it was no big deal to begin with and we tanked our economy for nothing because we'll never be 100% certain that's what contained a world wide pandemic.

Edited: 3/11/20 10:32 PM
2/4/09
beerbelly -
NoNeed4aScreenName -
Stache -

You see, pricks like you have it easy.  We quarantine and it works, you cry it was no big deal to begin with and we tanked our economy for nothing because we'll never be 100% certain that's what contained a world wide pandemic.

What happens if it turns out the other way the quarantine wasnt necessary and you tanked your economy for nothing?