OtherGround Forums Yield curve inverted this morning, hold on!

10 days ago
10/16/10
Zned - 
Stache - A couple of weeks ago Germany's entire yield curve went negative for the first time ever. Strange days.

You can get a negative rate mortgage in Denmark.

Yeah I just read about that this morning. Crazy.
10 days ago
4/1/10
Stache - 
Zned - 
Stache - A couple of weeks ago Germany's entire yield curve went negative for the first time ever. Strange days.

I don't think we will see negative rate sin the US, but who knows what will happen.

The fed is going to cut again, that is almost certain.

10 days ago
10/16/10
saglv - 

There are different factors in every cycle. The rise of tech stocks in the last 20 years is a once-in-a-century type structural change in the economy.

That might be part of it but it still shows investors are very weary about the future.
10 days ago
3/23/07
Stache - 
saglv - 

There are different factors in every cycle. The rise of tech stocks in the last 20 years is a once-in-a-century type structural change in the economy.

That might be part of it but it still shows investors are very weary about the future.

I don't disagree.

10 days ago
9/22/16
dignan - 
AnthonyWeiner - My wife and I have have been waiting for this recession. We've built our savings, have a small monthly payment on our home, and only one small car payment.

We're hoping a crash in real estate values allows us to purchase a vacation rental home by the beach.

We've been doing the same thing.  So if 3 of the 5 commenters so far have been holding their money back...we're fucked.  Not sure how yet, but we won't outsmart this setup.

FUCK
10 days ago
4/12/11
fiznadd -
AnthonyWeiner - My wife and I have have been waiting for this recession. We've built our savings, have a small monthly payment on our home, and only one small car payment.

We're hoping a crash in real estate values allows us to purchase a vacation rental home by the beach.

lol look at this selfish motherf*cker

No its its called smart and successful. Deal with it.

10 days ago
3/21/12
There is only so much the fed can do with rate cutting and asset purchasing, eventually there will have to be fiscal stimulus.
10 days ago
10/16/10
Zned - 
Stache - 
Zned - 

I don't think we will see negative rate sin the US, but who knows what will happen.

The amount of negative yielding debt out there is just staggering (globally it passed 15 trillion on Monday). The numbers are so big, I can't really wrap my head around it or how it might affect US markets. This is way above my pay scale. lol
10 days ago
10/4/18
BUY SILVER NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *silver bullets
10 days ago
4/1/10
Stache - 
Zned - 
Stache - 
Zned - 

The amount of negative yielding debt out there is just staggering (globally it passed 15 trillion on Monday). The numbers are so big, I can't really wrap my head around it or how it might affect US markets. This is way above my pay scale. lol

It is worrisome.

There are academics who are now talking about it like it should be the norm, and the US will follow Europe. Some are even advocating it which I find strange.

The implications are difficult to comprehend.

I don't think we will see negative rates here in the U.S., but I am not sure how Europe ever reverts back.

10 days ago
1/1/01
meh, we'll see what happens.

1-2% shifts in the stock market is now the "new norm".

Maybe if the market tanks it might pull down the real estate market and I can finally buy a house in LA.

Done stressing on this shit, lol.
10 days ago
1/1/01
Black Doug -

OP has been run of fthe forum in the past for his failed predictions. 

He is literally fake news. 

OP is a commie pinko fag busboy/waiter/investment banker/tycoon.

my favorite video is of him getting punked by an old man. neddy did manage to bite the old deplorables arm

10 days ago
9/13/08
Zned - 

Yield curve inverted this morning, the last time this happened it signalled the great recession.

S&P is breaking through the short term support levels.

Hold on to your hats!

I believe it happened in 17 or 18, no?
10 days ago
10/16/10
Zned - 
Stache - 
Zned - 
Stache - 
Zned - 

It is worrisome.

There are academics who are now talking about it like it should be the norm, and the US will follow Europe. Some are even advocating it which I find strange.

I don't think we will see negative rates here in the U.S., but I am not sure how Europe ever reverts back.

I don't get it either. What incentive is there to invest in bonds if you can't even preserve your capital?
10 days ago
9/13/08
Billco - 
Zned - 

Yield curve inverted this morning, the last time this happened it signalled the great recession.

S&P is breaking through the short term support levels.

Hold on to your hats!

I believe it happened in 17 or 18, no?

Never mind, should have read the rest of the thread......
10 days ago
1/1/01

Negative interest rates, tech companies losing hundreds of millions IPOing at insane PEs, trillion dollar deficits the norm.  What could go wrong?

10 days ago
9/22/16
Going to inflame the cash hoarders.
10 days ago
1/19/12

C’mon baby! Loading up on TVIX

10 days ago
10/16/10
ABCTT_GROUNDnLB - 

C’mon baby! Loading up on TVIX

We found the disaster capitalist! lol
10 days ago
4/1/10
Stache - 
Zned - 
Stache - 
Zned - 
Stache - 
Zned - 

It is worrisome.

I don't get it either. What incentive is there to invest in bonds if you can't even preserve your capital?

The idea of negative rates is to incentivize short term consumption and investment.

They won't buy bonds, and a dollar in their pocket will be worth less in a year, so it incentivises people to spend and make short term investments.

In theory it sounds like it might work, but since Fisher and Keynes threw the idea out during the great depression, the real world applications haven't had good results.

10 days ago
4/1/10
jman - meh, we'll see what happens.

1-2% shifts in the stock market is now the "new norm".

Maybe if the market tanks it might pull down the real estate market and I can finally buy a house in LA.

Done stressing on this shit, lol.

It is amazing how much volatility can be created by a tweet. (not today obviously)

10 days ago
10/16/10
Zned - 
Stache - 
Zned - 
Stache - 
Zned - 
Stache - 
Zned - 

It is worrisome.

The idea of negative rates is to incentivize short term consumption and investment.

They won't buy bonds, and a dollar in their pocket will be worth less in a year, so it incentivises people to spend and make short term investments.

In theory it sounds like it might work, but since Fisher and Keynes threw the idea out during the great depression, the real world applications haven't had good results.

Time to outlaw cash.
10 days ago
4/1/10

Dow and S&P off 260bps

2yr @ 1.571

10yr @ 1.586

30yr @ 2.037

Edited: 10 days ago
3/21/12
"I don't get it either. What incentive is there to invest in bonds if you can't even preserve your capital?"

If you have to park hundreds of millions of dollars somewhere in a safe asset what choice do you have?
10 days ago
4/1/10

Time to outlaw cash.

Some are advocating just that.

https://www.amazon.com/Curse-Cash-Kenneth-S-Rogoff/dp/0691172137/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1487011598&sr=8-1&keywords=curse+of+cash