OtherGround Forums best contact hitters in baseball ? last 40 years

20 days ago
5/12/11

Mickey Mantle once said when asked about Pete Rose breaking Ty Cobb's hit record that he would be embarassed to hit all them singles.

20 days ago
2/8/09
thekev1130 -

Mickey Mantle once said when asked about Pete Rose breaking Ty Cobb's hit record that he would be embarassed to hit all them singles.

A lot of power hitters talk like that. Jose Canseco said in his book that fans would rather see him go 1-4 with a homer run and 3 strikeouts than see Wade Boggs go 3-4 with 3 singles. 

20 days ago
5/8/13

Dunno if I posted in this thread originally or not, but it’s tony Gwynn by a mile.... when Ted Williams calls you the best hitter he’s ever seen, it trumps all out opinions and becomes a fact. The guy could have hit .275 - .300 with 30 homeruns a year but he made his game about average and contact and he was the best at it.  He could hit a ball further back in strike zone than anyone ever. Uncanny 

20 days ago
12/31/10
BRZ -
thekev1130 -

A lot of power hitters talk like that. Jose Canseco said in his book that fans would rather see him go 1-4 with a homer run and 3 strikeouts than see Wade Boggs go 3-4 with 3 singles. 

Wade Boggs wasn't exactly a singles hitter. He was a line drive hitter with a shit load of doubles. When he was in his prime, his OPS numbers were comparable to power hitters--he led the league with an OPS over 1.000 in one season. That was partly because his OBP was always in the high .400 range but he also had very respectable slugging numbers. 

20 days ago
5/29/17
KeezyDoesIt - Barry bonds hit everything

Only when they didn't walk him.

2588 walks

688 intentionally 

Greatest player of my generation 

20 days ago
6/1/07
BriggsSeekins - 
BRZ -
thekev1130 -

Wade Boggs wasn't exactly a singles hitter. He was a line drive hitter with a shit load of doubles. When he was in his prime, his OPS numbers were comparable to power hitters--he led the league with an OPS over 1.000 in one season. That was partly because his OBP was always in the high .400 range but he also had very respectable slugging numbers. 

Ditto for Pete Rose.

Between 1974 and 1980 he led the league in doubles five times. He's 2nd all-time in career doubles behind only Tris Speaker. He also finished in the top 10 in triples 8 times despite not being particularly fast. He even hit a respectable 160 career homers. He was far from being a slap hitter.
20 days ago
1/12/12
TheCorinthian - 

2588 walks

688 intentionally 

During his steroid years, he was the greatest player ever.  That Includes Ruth....

Bonds' offensive value was on par with Ruth.

Of course there is speculation about Pujols but he's never tested hot.  I would say he's the greatest non steroid hitter in the last 40 years.  His 10 year stretch for the Cards was unreal and unmatched.  It's one of the greatest 10 year stretches in history.

For the sake of OP's thread, i go with Tony gwynn in terms of contact the last 40 years,

Past 40 years and its Ted Williams.

However, I don't put much into contact stats that don't equate to production.

Give me Mike trout a 305 hitter with 40 jacks, 150 ks and an OB of 420 a year ove a 338 hitter with 9 jacks, 52 Ks and an OB of 390.

20 days ago
1/1/01

i'd say ichiro is the best i've seen, but gwynn was pretty amazing but since i watched him years ago, it's too close to call for me. 

i'm not sure of the stats off the top of my head but molitor might have had the fastest reactive swing that i've seen, almost zero wind up. 

20 days ago
1/12/12

Molitor was a beast and extremely clutch.

Definitely one of the guys you would want at the plate in big moments,

One my favorite all time guys.

20 days ago
12/28/05
Scotttbu -

Tony Gwynn averaged 21 strike outs a year

thas fucking insane 

And you have to consider at least a few of them where bad calls by the ump.

Gwynn gets my vote.

20 days ago
4/23/02
TheCorinthian -

2588 walks

688 intentionally 

ever

best contact hitter ever was Joe Sewell  struck out a total of 114 times in 14 seasons.  that's un real

as far as modern day best contact hitter in modern day is tony gwynn

20 days ago
1/12/12
jakeb - 
Scotttbu -

Tony Gwynn averaged 21 strike outs a year

thas fucking insane 

And you have to consider at least a few of them where bad calls by the ump.

Gwynn gets my vote.

29 Ks per 162 game seasons is amazing.

However, I can garauntee you that Gwynn and Boggs got the benefit of the doubt far more than not on calls.  

But I agree, Gwynn could put the ball in play.

20 days ago
4/2/08

Stan the Man Musial!!

.331 lifetime BA

37 avg strikeouts a year!!!

3650 lifetime hits!!! 

20 days ago
6/4/10

I feel very fortunate i got to watch Michael Young play and hit. If he had the same career as a Yankee or Dodger that he did as a Ranger, people would have him at the top of their lists. 

He had the misfortune to play on some bad Ranger teams in the 00's.

20 days ago
2/8/09
BriggsSeekins -
BRZ -
thekev1130 -

Plus Boggs had a lot of double off the green monster in Fenway Park. 

20 days ago
12/3/10

In my lifetime...

Carew -> Brett -> Gwynn

20 days ago
4/10/16

No love for Paul Molitor up in here?

20 days ago
1/12/12
drywallerdave - 

Stan the Man Musial!!

.331 lifetime BA

37 avg strikeouts a year!!!

3650 lifetime hits!!! 

If you go past 40 years, Stan the Man and Ted Williams are the top dawgs.

And, they were not punching Judies so there was big time value when they made contact.

20 days ago
1/12/12
skullrivet - 

No love for Paul Molitor up in here?

Yusul gave him love on this page (4).

I was ashamed for not mentioning Molitor.  One of my all time favorite.  Amazingly short compact swing with out of this world bat speed.

20 days ago
8/19/19
Dugs95 -

Dunno if I posted in this thread originally or not, but it’s tony Gwynn by a mile.... when Ted Williams calls you the best hitter he’s ever seen, it trumps all out opinions and becomes a fact. The guy could have hit .275 - .300 with 30 homeruns a year but he made his game about average and contact and he was the best at it.  He could hit a ball further back in strike zone than anyone ever. Uncanny 

William's never said that about gwynn

20 days ago
11/3/15

Tony Gwynn

Edited: 20 days ago
11/9/10

Gwynn’s 162 game avg for strikeouts was 29. There isn’t a player in the last 40 years that I would compare to him. 

20 days ago
9/13/19
jpm995 - 
Bad Monkey -
jpm995 -

How could Dave Kingman not be on that list?

Simplest answer:

Who?

Edit-

Just looked him up. Stats don't lie. Put him on the list. 

I was kidding. He was a big home run hitter who struck out when he wasn't hitting LONG home runs. Was a bad guy by most accounts, sent a reporter flowers on her birthday when she opened the box a dead rat was in it. Played for the Mets for a while.

LOL, sounds like an OGer.
20 days ago
9/13/19
I came here to say Boggs, he gets a + next to his name for always doing it plastered lol.
20 days ago
11/30/05

When/if MLB comes back Luis Arraez from the Minnesota Twins will go down as one of the best. Only 29 strikeouts last year. In September, during crunch time, he walked more than he struck out. Kid is gonna be a star.