OtherGround Forums dave jacobs stories

3 days ago
12/15/02

i didnt know dave very well but think he was a tremendous guy. thiught this would be a cool thread. 

in maybe 2002, dave was reffing one of my grapplers quest matches and as we were about to start, a portly older woman walks up to him and dove right in talking about something he did in a forum. she was going on about how funny he was and he is such a card and this and tha. the look on his face was a cross between panic, embarrassment, confusion and frustration. the weirdness was amplified by the fact that there was a small audience to this entire encounter and dave was trying to start the match. when she stopped talking and walked away, me dave and my opponent all started laughing. 

3 days ago
7/25/08
I used to stalk him on busses and the Metro before I knew him.

One time he caught me looking at him, and thought I was flirting with him, and looked at me like he wanted to kill me.

One time in class, he went on for like 15 minutes straight about how you have to keep your balls on the mat for a certain move to work.
3 days ago
1/1/01
Dave & I used to have lunch dates. OK, they were really OG luncheons with him, CSG, livewire, etc... I like to think of them as 'dates'.

I used to post pictures of a Smeagol/Gollum figure all around DC. Finally culminated in me getting Renzo Gracie to pose with it. That was the pinnacle and retired the joke after that.

He was a good dude. I didn't know him extremely well, but miss him anyways. RIP, my friend.
3 days ago
7/25/08
Unrelatedly, CSG could use some positive vibes, if anybody cares.
3 days ago
4/29/09

Ttt

3 days ago
4/29/09
Slowshot - Unrelatedly, CSG could use some positive vibes, if anybody cares.

What happened with her? 

3 days ago
4/29/09
Khun Kao - Dave & I used to have lunch dates. OK, they were really OG luncheons with him, CSG, livewire, etc... I like to think of them as 'dates'.

I used to post pictures of a Smeagol/Gollum figure all around DC. Finally culminated in me getting Renzo Gracie to pose with it. That was the pinnacle and retired the joke after that.

He was a good dude. I didn't know him extremely well, but miss him anyways. RIP, my friend.

Are the adventures of TPK still available or gone for good? 

3 days ago
1/1/01
Aaronrodgers=GOAT - 
Khun Kao - Dave & I used to have lunch dates. OK, they were really OG luncheons with him, CSG, livewire, etc... I like to think of them as 'dates'.

Are the adventures of TPK still available or gone for good? 

I honestly don't know. I haven't tried to find them.
3 days ago
7/25/08
Aaronrodgers=GOAT - 

What happened with her? 

Not my place to share. If you know her on social media, it's there.
3 days ago
12/2/02

I only knew him here, but I would usually attempt to get a response from him regarding his love for Avril Lavigne and his aversion to paper cuts :)

He was certainly an awesome person.

3 days ago
1/1/01

Met him at a grappling event here in S. FL.  He filled in for a "super" match at the end of the event after one of the scheduled guys got injured and couldn't compete.   

He lost the match, and took it pretty hard, but was still polite and friendly when I introduced myself.  

News of his passing was tough to take. He seemed like someone I would have enjoyed hanging out with.  He had a great sense of humor. 

I think him, Serge, and Hammerhousefan are the only people I've ever met in person from this place.  Spoken to a few others by phone. 

3 days ago
11/4/11

I dropped into his school once as a new blue belt, and then he reffed a few of my matches at the Atlanta Open a year or so later. Really nice guy. 

3 days ago
1/1/01
Khun Kao - Dave & I used to have lunch dates. OK, they were really OG luncheons with him, CSG, livewire, etc... I like to think of them as 'dates'.

I remember those, they were fucking hilarious.

I loved when TPK would post some of his old pics- like the one in his punk phase when he had the giant mohawk, and the one of him with the sweater over his shoulder in a Kirk Cameron "Growin Pains" kind of pose and people ridiculed him mercielssly for that one

3 days ago
1/1/01

I only knew him here.  At one point we started talking about bringing him over for a seminar.  Fuck I regret having postponed that.  An amazing guy, bad ass competitor, lawyer, international music lover, school owner, family man who was funny as fuck.  Him and Steve72's banter was so much fun to read here.  

3 days ago
3/13/02
Slowshot - 
Aaronrodgers=GOAT - 

What happened with her? 

Not my place to share. If you know her on social media, it's there.

Dam, I knew her when she lived in Vegas, can't remember her real name though

3 days ago
3/3/03

Steve72 would be one to contribute heavily on this.  

I emailed with him periodically and he counseled me on a couple of occasions dealing with running my BJJ school And work/family/BJJ life balance.  A super great guy that many of the newer guys unfortunately are not going to get to know. Very smart, witty, and fun as hell to have on this forum. He is very much missed by those that knew him.

There is one of his gags that I still use on people (There is a video of him doing this)...

*gesture to someone* 

You! Yeah you. Yes I’m talking to you. Come over here. I mean it come over here.

(they come over) 

GET OUT OUT OF HERE!

2 days ago
1/1/01

Team It's Pee!

2 days ago
1/1/01

How did he die?  I completely forgot

2 days ago
12/15/02

these are very cool. thanks for sharing guys.

lets keep them rolling..

2 days ago
1/1/01
Soup and Beer - 

How did he die?  I completely forgot

Stroke

2 days ago
2/15/05
Dave was a stand up guy in person and on the web, rare thing to see these days. He was carrying Steve72 for years on here....... RIP Dave
2 days ago
1/1/01

I like that video with Ryan Hall (I think) getting into an altercation at a Pizza restaurant and in the background TPK can be seen gorging on pizza pretty much ignoring the fight. 

2 days ago
4/29/09
Cookie Monster -

Steve72 would be one to contribute heavily on this.  

I emailed with him periodically and he counseled me on a couple of occasions dealing with running my BJJ school And work/family/BJJ life balance.  A super great guy that many of the newer guys unfortunately are not going to get to know. Very smart, witty, and fun as hell to have on this forum. He is very much missed by those that knew him.

There is one of his gags that I still use on people (There is a video of him doing this)...

*gesture to someone* 

You! Yeah you. Yes I’m talking to you. Come over here. I mean it come over here.

(they come over) 

GET OUT OUT OF HERE!

Lol

2 days ago
4/29/09
ferox -

I like that video with Ryan Hall (I think) getting into an altercation at a Pizza restaurant and in the background TPK can be seen gorging on pizza pretty much ignoring the fight. 

2 days ago
4/29/09