OtherGround Forums female Marine graduate from SF program

6 days ago
2/25/13

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/marine-becomes-first-female-graduate-elite-training-program-nobody-can-tell-cant-181814330.html

Oorah! Sgt. Tara-Lyn Baker became the first female Marine to graduate from the intense Winter Mountain Leaders Course on Tuesday.

The roughly six-week course, which takes place in the Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center in Bridgeport, Calif., is a rigorous program that trains 20 to 45 Marines to conduct operations in high altitudes and alpine terrain.

“You learn to how to survive. You learn how to deal with the cold. I’ve had frostbite. I’ve had hypothermia,” Baker said in a video released by the Marines. “We dealt with all the ins and outs of being up in the mountain and being in the snow, but we learned how to overcome it.

To qualify, Baker had to pass a rigorous physical test 30 days before the course began. Marines were then recommended for the program based on their performance “due to the intensity level and demanding nature of this training,” according to the official site for the U.S. Marine Corps.

“I’ve definitely been through the wringer,” she says. “Being a whole 115 pounds right now and carrying anything from 60- to 95-pound packs or dragging a sled that’s a good 65 pounds through the snow on skis, it definitely is a challenge to your body.”

Now, Baker is qualified to teach other Marines how to survive treacherous mountain climates.

“I learned what I’m capable of. I learned what I can do and what I can accomplish, and nobody can tell me that I can’t,” says Baker. “I’m proud of myself. Nobody else needs to be proud of me.”

. .

6 days ago
2/25/13

6 days ago
7/14/16
It's awesome that she made it through... it's not awesome that now many women will assume they can do the same because they feel they are the toughest chick they know. Same with a bunch of fake tough guys that will now use "If a chick can do it, I know I could too..."

In the end, some people are just born tough.
6 days ago
8/20/03

Women ruin everything 

6 days ago
10/31/10

I will bet 100K she did not carry the same load her male teammates 

6 days ago
3/23/07

Bridgeport is challenging training.

6 days ago
12/2/05
P749 - 

It's sad we even have to question it but there are so many stories of girls getting help for these things, I really want to know if she 100% did the same shit as any guy on the course.
6 days ago
1/1/01
sagiv -

Just the regular packages for the battalions going through are challenging. The Mountain Leaders course is crazy tough. 

6 days ago
3/23/07
Fast Pitch - 
sagiv -

Just the regular packages for the battalions going through are challenging. The Mountain Leaders course is crazy tough. 

Yup.

6 days ago
11/1/03
P749 -

This wouldn't suprise me. Seem most of these tough programs make it easier for women. I remember a study they did on women in the service and most couldn't do one pullup.

6 days ago
2/25/13

how often are Marines in the cold ?

6 days ago
3/21/12
P749 - 

I imagine an athletic 115 lb male would have a lot of trouble completing the same training so I agree with you.
6 days ago
9/22/16
TzTinkle - 
P749 - 

I imagine an athletic 115 lb male would have a lot of trouble completing the same training so I agree with you.

I hate to assume, but I've been part of training where the rule is simply "the soldier, their weapon, and their equipment have to start and finish the course to pass", and that meant dudes carrying or helping with gear while women struggles to make it to the finish. I hate to think there's some unnamed guy out there that dragged her ruck or sled all over the fucking place so she could pass.
6 days ago
3/28/17
Seems legit
6 days ago
1/1/01
PoiuPoiu -

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/marine-becomes-first-female-graduate-elite-training-program-nobody-can-tell-cant-181814330.html

Oorah! Sgt. Tara-Lyn Baker became the first female Marine to graduate from the intense Winter Mountain Leaders Course on Tuesday.

The roughly six-week course, which takes place in the Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center in Bridgeport, Calif., is a rigorous program that trains 20 to 45 Marines to conduct operations in high altitudes and alpine terrain.

“You learn to how to survive. You learn how to deal with the cold. I’ve had frostbite. I’ve had hypothermia,” Baker said in a video released by the Marines. “We dealt with all the ins and outs of being up in the mountain and being in the snow, but we learned how to overcome it.

To qualify, Baker had to pass a rigorous physical test 30 days before the course began. Marines were then recommended for the program based on their performance “due to the intensity level and demanding nature of this training,” according to the official site for the U.S. Marine Corps.

“I’ve definitely been through the wringer,” she says. “Being a whole 115 pounds right now and carrying anything from 60- to 95-pound packs or dragging a sled that’s a good 65 pounds through the snow on skis, it definitely is a challenge to your body.”

Now, Baker is qualified to teach other Marines how to survive treacherous mountain climates.

“I learned what I’m capable of. I learned what I can do and what I can accomplish, and nobody can tell me that I can’t,” says Baker. “I’m proud of myself. Nobody else needs to be proud of me.”

. .

from a thread on rucking

"After the WWII, a guy named SLA Marshall did a study and wrote a book about it. "The soldier's load and the mobility of a nation." In it he suggests max load should never exceed 40% of body weight. The load calculation includes everything on your body; clothes, shoes, hat. Everything. Don't forget weight of water and food are int there as well. The current Army (and Marine manual) on foot marching prescribes that a proper infantry unit should be able to move 20 miles/day in 8 hours, at that load, everyday, without loss of combat effectiveness. Note that's just 2.5 miles per hour over flat or lightly rolling terrain (but off the hard ball)."

115 x 40% comes to 46lbs at the top. i highly doubt she is carrying almost her entire BW in a pack. this whole thing feels like #1 bullshit. i do not doubt she might be a game pit, but reality is men are stronger and carrying shit is part of being in the service.

6 days ago
1/1/01
ttt
6 days ago
1/1/01
pumpkinpuss -
PoiuPoiu -

. .

from a thread on rucking

"After the WWII, a guy named SLA Marshall did a study and wrote a book about it. "The soldier's load and the mobility of a nation." In it he suggests max load should never exceed 40% of body weight. The load calculation includes everything on your body; clothes, shoes, hat. Everything. Don't forget weight of water and food are int there as well. The current Army (and Marine manual) on foot marching prescribes that a proper infantry unit should be able to move 20 miles/day in 8 hours, at that load, everyday, without loss of combat effectiveness. Note that's just 2.5 miles per hour over flat or lightly rolling terrain (but off the hard ball)."

115 x 40% comes to 46lbs at the top. i highly doubt she is carrying almost her entire BW in a pack. this whole thing feels like #1 bullshit. i do not doubt she might be a game pit, but reality is men are stronger and carrying shit is part of being in the service.

Wow. They used to push the pace a lot faster than that when I was in the Corps (1990-94).  It was always a 4-5 mph pace, which was brutal. Needless to say we were all pretty much useless right after a 20 mile “training” hump, meaning combat ineffective. 

6 days ago
1/1/01
To qualify, Baker had to pass a rigorous physical test 30 days before the course began...

Do we know whether this physical test is the same for women as for men?
6 days ago
12/18/03

Congratulations to her.

The article's careful choice of wording makes me suspicious her standards weren't the same as men's though. 

6 days ago
6/3/03
MarsMan -

Congratulations to her.

The article's careful choice of wording makes me suspicious her standards weren't the same as men's though. 

6 days ago
2/19/14

Cute little spinner.

I'd like to ruck her sack.

6 days ago
7/19/10
MarsMan -

Congratulations to her.

My thoughts too. Regardless my congrats to her still as i have no problems saying that i would struggle myself...

6 days ago
6/28/10
Lurker99 - It's awesome that she made it through... it's not awesome that now many women will assume they can do the same because they feel they are the toughest chick they know. Same with a bunch of fake tough guys that will now use "If a chick can do it, I know I could too..."

In the end, some people are just born tough.

"it's not awesome that now many women will assume they can do the same because they feel they are the toughest chick they know."

You mean just like 85% of the males that try to do this annually? lol.

6 days ago
12/6/11

I know she gets shit for being a chick, but she surely is a tough chick.  We dont truly know what kind of load she was carrying (weight wise) but regardless, the physical demands and climate of the course is super tough; even many men have failed.  So good for her! 

6 days ago
4/27/15

There can be only one