OtherGround Forums marcuss dupree was the best running back ever

14 days ago
9/9/02
Bo Jackson had GOAT potential
14 days ago
1/1/01
pharochuck - 
buddie -

I think Jim Brown was the best but I also think that if you aren't looking at career longevity I'd take Terrell Davis.  The guy was unstoppable and the whole league knew it.

Davis has to be one of the best big game play off backs ever. 8 playoff games. Only one under a 100 yards. 91 in that game. 4 play off games over 150. He carried Denver to those two rings. He showed up huge in every play off game during that 2 year run 

Kind of an exaggeration to say Terrell carried the team which was stacked with absolute offensive studs (Elway, Sharpe, Rod Smith, Mccaffery), a great O-line and a solid defense but he was definitely the main driver towards their success. Dude was automatic for at least 6 yards on a pitch no matter what. Everyone knew it was coming and no one could stop it.

14 days ago
1/1/01
Rakoshi - 

Jim Brown - he didn’t run from tacklers he ran over them. There were no PEDs back then, no personal trainers, no indoor practice facilities, etc. Watch him in old films - he was a b-a-d man. 

Jim Brown was basically the Wilt Chamberlain of the NFL.
14 days ago
1/1/01
buddie -
pharochuck - 
buddie -

I think Jim Brown was the best but I also think that if you aren't looking at career longevity I'd take Terrell Davis.  The guy was unstoppable and the whole league knew it.

Davis has to be one of the best big game play off backs ever. 8 playoff games. Only one under a 100 yards. 91 in that game. 4 play off games over 150. He carried Denver to those two rings. He showed up huge in every play off game during that 2 year run 

Kind of an exaggeration to say Terrell carried the team which was stacked with absolute offensive studs (Elway, Sharpe, Rod Smith, Mccaffery), a great O-line and a solid defense but he was definitely the main driver towards their success. Dude was automatic for at least 6 yards on a pitch no matter what. Everyone knew it was coming and no one could stop it.

In the first Super Bowl run in the playoffs he averaged 28 carries and 145yds. Teams were game planning to stop him. 

Came back next year and ran for 2000yds. In playoffs he averaged 156yds a game and 25 carries. He carried those teams. In both playoff runs he couldn’t be stopped. Elway except for the bowl against Atlanta actually had some pretty pedestrian stats in both those super bowl runs

14 days ago
11/9/05
pharochuck -
buddie -
pharochuck - 
buddie -

In the first Super Bowl run in the playoffs he averaged 28 carries and 145yds. Teams were game planning to stop him. 

Came back next year and ran for 2000yds. In playoffs he averaged 156yds a game and 25 carries. He carried those teams. In both playoff runs he couldn’t be stopped. Elway except for the bowl against Atlanta actually had some pretty pedestrian stats in both those super bowl runs

Elway was top 5 in both passing yards and TD's during their first Super Bowl run.

The following year he took a step back, but he was also banged up and missed 4 games.

Those offenses were stacked.

14 days ago
6/4/06

I remember being in high school and tuning into to college football games prior to reporting for our games on Saturday night. I happen to turn on an OU game and see Marcus play in what was one of, or maybe even the first college game he ever played in.

I was amazed as it seemed no one could tackle him, so big , so strong, so fast, great moves....

I also recall feeling sorry for the high school kids who had to attempt to tackle him just a season earlier.

14 days ago
10/25/05
fedro -

Walter Payton.

This!!!!

14 days ago
2/25/13
Liyon - 
Rakoshi - 

Jim Brown - he didn’t run from tacklers he ran over them. There were no PEDs back then, no personal trainers, no indoor practice facilities, etc. Watch him in old films - he was a b-a-d man. 

Jim Brown was basically the Wilt Chamberlain of the NFL.

True

14 days ago
8/5/17

Wow thanks OP. This is that dude I forgot about from my dad’s old tapes. Checking out his history lead me down a time warp to being a kid with my dad. Reading about Dupree lead me back to Buford Jordan, Dalton Hilliard, and even iron head Heyward. To be a kid again.. lol. Cool post bud. Thanks.

14 days ago
6/22/12

Sweetness

14 days ago
9/8/02
OKMike - 

Gale Sayers had a great yet injury shortened career.

If your name is "gale" you are automatically eliminated from any all-time male athletic list.
14 days ago
6/12/13
Rakoshi -

You’d be a bad man too if you played against a7th grade pop warner team. That was the equivelent.  

14 days ago
2/25/13

His first ever as a freshman was a td

14 days ago
11/9/05
Spider Rico -
Rakoshi -

You’d be a bad man too if you played against a7th grade pop warner team. That was the equivelent.  

The size difference is overstated to the point of comedy.

Brown was 6'2" 230.

During his time, the average D lineman was 6'3" 250, and JB wasn't the only big back of his era.

Rick Casares was 6'2" 226. 

Nick Pietrosante was 6'2", 225.

Alex Webster: 6'3" 225.

Phil King, 6'4" 223

All starters in Brown's era who didn't touch his level despite their size.

JB is the goat.

14 days ago
10/17/09

Jim Brown, Walter Payton, Barry Sanders 

13 days ago
2/25/13

Dupree was a about 6 4 and faster

13 days ago
3/5/15

Walter Payton is my all time favorite player in all of sports. I'm still pissed Ditka didn't have him score a TD in the Super Bowl.