OtherGround Forums typing is amazing

Edited: 6 days ago
12/12/04

I submit that not a single one of you could name the keys left to right.  not one.

but we all talk effortlessly (some easier than others) through muscle memory.......pretty amazing. 

6 days ago
10/2/11

All you have to know is asdf jkl;

Edited: 6 days ago
4/13/12

i took typing in hs and can still hear my typing teacher mr weaver saying "a-s-d-f j-k-l-sim".

but you're right.  other than the home keys i can't really recite anything very easily but can type i dunno, 30 or 40 wpm.

edit:  actually, it's more like 55wpm

6 days ago
3/23/07

There are many activities like that. Tying your shoes, for example.

Close your eyes and try describing the steps one-by-one, yet this is something that you can and do literally on autopilot every day without a second thought.

6 days ago
12/12/04
EFM - 

i took typing in hs and can still hear my typing teacher mr weaver saying "a-s-d-f j-k-l-sim".

but you're right.  other than the home keys i can't really recite anything very easily but can type i dunno, 30 or 40 wpm.

ya........."home row"

I can't believe I can talk through my fingers but couldn name the keys unless I closed my eyes and really thought about it.  maybe not even then

6 days ago
4/13/12

just gave me an idea for a thread.

6 days ago
1/1/01
When I was doing govt. contract work in Iraq, the company I worked for had VOIP phones with Houston, TX phone numbers. I just so happened to find a calling card (this was the mid-to-late '90s) that used a Houston, TX access number.

(I don't even know if calling cards are even still a thing, but when they were, you'd have to pay to dial the access number to get to the network, then for each minute. So if you bought a calling card that was say 500 minutes, you'd get docked XX minutes for the access number AND for the actual minutes you talked.)

As such, I could get refills online for like a penny/minute or some such...it was stupid cheap - ESPECIALLY compared to the calling cards they sold at the PX.

I'd tell anyone that would listen how to get the cards so they could save a shitload on calling back home.

I used that same calling card system for the better part of 2.5 years, and every time I'd tell someone about it, I'd have to actually pick up the phone and dial the access number to give it to whoever I was telling about it, because I couldn't remember it.
6 days ago
6/20/11

Just did with my imaginary keyboard, but I’m a pretty fuckinf beast typist.

6 days ago
3/18/12

Qwertyuiop is easy to remember

6 days ago
5/7/08
Buffer720 -

Qwertyuiop is easy to remember

The last row is the only difficult one to remember if we're talking only the letter keys

6 days ago
9/26/02

Black magic, imo.

5 days ago
2/27/08
Good thread.

Touch typing something (anything) of length is like meditation for me. Just getting in that flow state and not being conscious of anything is bliss.

I noticed one day that rather than correct single words or letters in a sentence it was faster to simply ctrl backspace the whole thing and re-type it again. This was when I realised I had achieved true greatness.
5 days ago
1/13/11
Red Stuff - Good thread.

Touch typing something (anything) of length is like meditation for me. Just getting in that flow state and not being conscious of anything is bliss.

I noticed one day that rather than correct single words or letters in a sentence it was faster to simply ctrl backspace the whole thing and re-type it again. This was when I realised I had achieved true greatness.

I bow to your keyboard mastery. I can only claim to reach a steady stream of consciousness whilst elevated on herbals and through oratory alone. 

5 days ago
2/4/07

I remember this was the case for my combination in school.  I couldn't tell you what it was unless I actually worked it out physically.

5 days ago
12/12/04
Sandy Pantz - 

I remember this was the case for my combination in school.  I couldn't tell you what it was unless I actually worked it out physically.

same for my locker combo at work.........I couldn't tell you what the hell it was and it was the same for 11 years.  Used it nearly every day.

5 days ago
12/1/05

When I used to work with a bunch of young kids one of them one day took my keyboard and switched a bunch of keys around.  I sat down at my desk and noticed right away, but acted like I didn't see it as this one kid was standing next to my desk looking guilty as hell and waiting for me to start typing.  So playing it cool I looked at him while I started typing and typed up the first few lines of whatever it was. It totally ruined his bit, and I just laughed.

Honestly though, I had no idea I could do it half as well as I did. I think i was as surprised as he was.

5 days ago
4/27/15

When i start getting sloppy with my typing, i have a typing game on my browser (this is for PC) that i jump on for a few quick games.  It has tightened up my no-look typing a lot over the last few months

https://zty.pe/

5 days ago
1/1/01
I learned to type when I was 9, it was the only 'game' on that shitty old Mac, back when they had the 'bumps' on D and K.

I can undoubtedly name all the keys on the keyboard, symbols too. I can also probably get most of them on a Spanish keyboard.
5 days ago
1/1/01
Just tried.

Got the top row.
Middle row is easy too. A,S, then D to L without the vowels.
bottom row I got tripped up on. all the shitty letters.
5 days ago
8/31/10

Patrice has a funny bit on typing in here........(2:45)

5 days ago
1/1/01
Learned how to type when I went back to college in my 40s.

Taught myself. Never had a need before that. When I was in High School, about 95% of everyone that took a typing class at my school was female.

Wrote every single paper in college by hand, multiple times until it was finished, before I ever starting typing it up to turn it in. Back then it took me lots longer to type it than write it by hand.

I still could not name where the keys are at, but my fingers seem to have learned and can remember on their own. lol
5 days ago
4/21/09
EFM -

edit:  actually, it's more like 55wpm

Shit I'm at about 35 wpm and I thought I was rocking lol

5 days ago
8/31/10
Dryfly - Learned how to type when I went back to college in my 40s.

Taught myself. Never had a need before that. When I was in High School, about 95% of everyone that took a typing class at my school was female.

Wrote every single paper in college by hand, multiple times until it was finished, before I ever starting typing it up to turn it in. Back then it took me lots longer to type it than write it by hand.

I still could not name where the keys are at, but my fingers seem to have learned and can remember on their own. lol

Holy fuck........so much in that video clip I posted above is referring to you, lol!

Edited: 5 days ago
1/1/01

Thanks to whoever created Typing of the dead

5 days ago
3/20/15

Tapping is better....OP will learn one day...maybe...