OtherGround Forums very excited for archery season

9/23/19 10:06 AM
12/15/02

got busted by an early aftert doe at 10 yds saturday in my first sit of the year. was on my phone like a dummy.

hung some stands on public this past weekend. gonna do a stand check of my property this weekend. 

shooting a heavier broadhead this year and a handheld release.

am ready.

Edited: 9/23/19 10:27 AM
3/11/09

Same.

First day here is October 5th. Got some real nice ones on the trail cam....just hoping they stick around for the next few weeks at least. I was debating on trying out a release this year but decided against it.

9/23/19 10:40 AM
1/1/01

My body is ready. 

9/23/19 10:42 AM
1/1/01

Took off from work for opening day of bow season. Got 2 doe permits in addition to my 3 regular tags, so any freezer filler that walks by is getting shanked, I’ll worry about a trophy after. Last year I let a whole bunch walk figuring I could get them later if I had too, but later never came 

9/23/19 10:43 AM
1/1/01
I'm so ready! Definitely need some tree stand therapy after the year I've had.
9/23/19 10:49 AM
1/1/01

Best of luck y'all.

9/23/19 11:32 AM
11/25/10

Just put the trail cams up yesterday!

9/23/19 12:54 PM
1/1/01
Apparently, not many alphas on the OG.
9/23/19 2:01 PM
1/1/01
JitsuGuy - Apparently, not many alphas on the OG.

Suppose you are right.

Had a limited entry Bull Elk tag it took me over a decade to get. Gave it back.

In the process of trying to get my points back now. Was recovering from cervical surgery and simply wasn't up to chasing elk in this country.

First year I haven't bow-hunted in decades. It's awesome :(

I am taking my son out on the muzzle-loader hunt this week.

Won't miss his hunt if it kills me.
9/23/19 2:02 PM
1/1/01

A buddy of mine ( city slicker type) just bought a farm upstate 110 acres of private land for me to hunt. Very nice. 

I also scouted some public  land by me that I don’t think many people know is huntable. 

9/23/19 2:13 PM
1/1/01
tjmitch - 

A buddy of mine ( city slicker type) just bought a farm upstate 110 acres of private land for me to hunt. Very nice. 

I also scouted some public  land by me that I don’t think many people know is huntable. 

Save your pennies and come out to the mountains sometime.

My state is 70 % Public land.

110 acres isn't enough to hunt a pheasant on, let alone big game :)

If you are willing to hike here, you can find your own 110 square mile chunk of land.
Fuck hunting on any number of acres.
9/23/19 2:22 PM
5/8/13

Haven’t shot the Hoyt in a year, I just didn’t have time to get ready this year since I been coaching football.,.  

9/23/19 2:33 PM
12/15/02
Dryfly -

Suppose you are right.

In the process of trying to get my points back now. Was recovering from cervical surgery and simply wasn't up to chasing elk in this country.

what a bummer. i think i recall you mentioning this hunt and getting some help from your son and his friend..

9/23/19 2:34 PM
4/27/15

I'll get pumped up when it drops below 90 fuckin degrees.

I was all jacked up last season when i got a new bad-ass sight and made up a new set of arrows.  It was short-lived as i only hunted 2 weekends.  FML

9/23/19 2:42 PM
12/15/02

yeah the heat sucks. they will still move in jersey but not ny, for the most part where i hunt. 

9/23/19 2:47 PM
1/1/01
MichaelVronsky - 
Dryfly -

Suppose you are right.

what a bummer. i think i recall you mentioning this hunt and getting some help from your son and his friend..

Yep my son and his friends were ready and willing to haul it out for me.

I quite simply couldn't hike to where I needed to get, while carrying all I needed to have when I got there.

Also for the first time in decades I had NO confidence in my shot placement. My neck surgery has made it very difficult to shoot correctly.

I did shoot a time or two and it hurt like hell, and took much effort to concentrate on the shot instead of the pain. So my confidence was lacking, and I will not shoot at big game while in that condition. Way to "iffy" to shoot while in that condition.

Trying to practice what I preach to my son about archery hunting ethics as well. Could not go in good conscience.
9/23/19 3:07 PM
12/15/02

you think you’ll fully recover at this point or need to stick to the rifle from here onout? 

9/23/19 3:51 PM
7/20/08

I have been watching a buck all summer right next to my house.  Really wide, maybe 23-24”.  Not very tall as the G1’s and 2’s are about 10”.  Just a nice 10 pointer in the 145-150 range.  I will let him walk and see what he looks like next year as I think he is 3.5 years.  I just need others to let him walk also.  He is in a bow only area with a very limited draw so I like his odds.

9/23/19 3:54 PM
3/12/07

Take it from me, do yourself a favor and leave the phone in the truck. 

9/23/19 4:02 PM
1/1/01
Dryfly - 
MichaelVronsky - 
Dryfly -

Suppose you are right.

I quite simply couldn't hike to where I needed to get, while carrying all I needed to have when I got there.

Also for the first time in decades I had NO confidence in my shot placement. My neck surgery has made it very difficult to shoot correctly.

I did shoot a time or two and it hurt like hell, and took much effort to concentrate on the shot instead of the pain. So my confidence was lacking, and I will not shoot at big game while in that condition. Way to "iffy" to shoot while in that condition.

Trying to practice what I preach to my son about archery hunting ethics as well. Could not go in good conscience.

Man, really sorry to hear that. Hoping you have a speedy and full recovery and many years of father/son hunting to come!
9/23/19 4:24 PM
1/1/01
MichaelVronsky - 

you think you’ll fully recover at this point or need to stick to the rifle from here onout? 

No I will be fine. My muscles cramping and pulling on my neck are the issue now.

Already had a very degenerated neck, then I wiped out when a ski came off while I was going like hell.

I tore up a bunch of muscles while rolling/bouncing down the hill. This also finished my neck off.

During my surgery they had to jack my neck up a 1/2 inch to get it lined up correctly, that pulled on the same damn muscles that were already fucked up.

So it is healing not so quickly, but I am 100% sure I will recover fully...it just might be a couple more months.

If I couldn't bow hunt, I would likely get a permit to be able to use a cross-bow, which I really don't have any desire to do. But I would before I rifle hunted. Just don't enjoy rifle hunting anymore. It is a completely different endeavor entirely.
9/23/19 4:25 PM
1/1/01
JitsuGuy - 
Dryfly - 
MichaelVronsky - 
Dryfly -

Suppose you are right.

Man, really sorry to hear that. Hoping you have a speedy and full recovery and many years of father/son hunting to come!

Thank you much!
9/23/19 4:48 PM
3/11/09

The 2 biggest we've been seeing this year.....been getting pics of the 1 on the right for 4 years now

and sorry for the bad quality as it's a pic of a computer screen..
9/23/19 4:50 PM
3/11/09

1 more of the deer on the left...they are good at disappearing right before archery season unfortunately.
9/23/19 5:02 PM
12/15/02

daywalkers! thats a damn good start.