PoliticalGround US involvement in regime change - Country list

7/23/18 12:48 PM
3/13/17
The US has been involved in overthrowing regimes for a long time.

Here is a list from wiki:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_involvement_in_regime_change

19th century interventions
1.1 1846: US–Mexico War
1.2 1887–1889: Samoa
2 1893–1917: US empire and expansionism
2.1 1890s
2.1.1 1893: Kingdom of Hawaii
2.1.2 1898: Cuba and Puerto Rico
2.1.3 1899: Philippines
2.1.4 1898–1901: China
2.2 1900s
2.2.1 1903: Panama
2.2.2 1900s–1920s: Honduras
2.3 1910s
2.3.1 1912–1933: Nicaragua
2.3.2 1914: Mexico
2.3.3 1915–1934: Haiti
2.3.4 1916–1924: Dominican Republic
3 WWI and interwar period
3.1 1918: Russia
3.2 1941: Panama
4 Cold War era
4.1 1940s
4.1.1 1945–1950: South Korea
4.1.2 1946–1949: China
4.1.3 1946–1949: Greece
4.1.4 1952: Egypt
4.1.5 1948–1970s: Italy
4.1.6 1949: Syria
4.2 1950s
4.2.1 1953: Iran
4.2.2 1954: Guatemala
4.2.3 1955–1960: Laos
4.2.4 Failed coup plots against Syria
4.2.5 1957–1959: Indonesia
4.2.6 1958: Lebanon
4.2.7 1959: Iraq
4.3 1960s
4.3.1 1960: Laos
4.3.2 1961: Bay of Pigs
4.3.3 1960s: Cuba
4.3.4 1961–1964: Brazil
4.3.5 1963: Iraq
4.3.6 1963: Vietnam
4.3.7 1965–66: Dominican Republic
4.3.8 1965–1967: Indonesia
4.4 1970s
4.4.1 1971: Bolivia
4.4.2 1972–1975: Iraq
4.4.3 1973: Chile
4.4.4 1979–1989: Afghanistan
4.5 1980s
4.5.1 1980–1992: El Salvador
4.5.2 1982–1989: Nicaragua
4.5.3 1983: Grenada
4.5.4 1989: Panama
5 Post-Cold War
5.1 1990s
5.1.1 1991: Kuwait
5.1.2 1991: Haiti
5.1.3 1991–2003: Iraq
5.1.4 1994–2000: Iraq
5.1.5 1997: Indonesia
5.2 2000s
5.2.1 2000: Yugoslavia
5.2.2 2005: Iran
5.2.3 2006–07: Palestinian territories
5.2.4 Post–2005: Syria
5.3 2010s
5.3.1 2011 Libya
5.3.2 2015-present Yemen
6 Covert involvements

United States involvement in regime change has entailed both overt and covert actions aimed at altering, replacing, or preserving foreign governments. In the latter half of the 19th century, the US government undertook regime change actions mainly in Latin America and the southwest Pacific, and included the Mexican–American, Spanish–American and Philippine–American wars. At the onset of the 20th century the United States shaped or installed friendly governments in many countries including Panama, Honduras, Nicaragua, Mexico, Haiti, and the Dominican Republic.

In the aftermath of World War II, the US government expanded the geographic scope of its regime change actions, as the country struggled with the Soviet Union for global leadership and influence within the context of the Cold War. Significant operations included the US and UK-orchestrated 1953 Iranian coup d'état, the 1961 Bay of Pigs Invasion targeting Cuba, and support for the Argentinian Dirty War, in addition to the US's traditional area of operations, Central America and the Caribbean. In addition, the US has interfered in the national elections of many countries, including in Japan in the 1950s and 1960s to keep its preferred center-right Liberal Democratic Party in power using secret funds, in the Philippines to orchestrate the campaign of Ramon Magsaysay for president in 1953, and in Lebanon to help Christian parties in the 1957 elections using secret cash infusions.[1] The US has executed at least 81 overt and covert known interventions in foreign elections during the period 1946–2000.[2]

Why be surprised with Russian meddling, then?

Also, do Americans have a right to be upset about 9/11, when the US government pretty much brought it on themselves?

How many of the 9/11 hijackers were Saudi?

Wasn't an act like 9/11 pretty much inevitable, considering the history of US military foreign intervention?
7/23/18 12:52 PM
1/1/01

It’s really only fair to look at post-WWII...

That said, I agree. It’s why I don’t get too upset about Russian interference in our election, especially since it was only to provoke and exploit internal discord. We don’t get to play the victim after all the shit we’ve been responsible for.

7/23/18 12:55 PM
12/29/09
#1 baby!
7/23/18 12:57 PM
3/13/17
amadeus - 

That said, I agree. It’s why I don’t get too upset about Russian interference in our election, especially since it was only to provoke and exploit internal discord. We don’t get to play the victim after all the shit we’ve been responsible for.

Agreed.

The US has executed at least 81 overt and covert known interventions in foreign elections during the period 1946–2000.

By the same token, American's should not play the victim to 9/11 right?

Wasn't that simply a fair response to decades of meddlings, regime changes, bombing women + children in the middle east?
7/23/18 12:59 PM
6/13/03

Pedro the Russian sympathizer Navaja.

7/23/18 1:02 PM
1/1/01

Stupidest argument ever

in all those cases the US did it for its own self intrest, not the country they intervened in

And clearly Russia’s attack on the election was in their own self intrest. Implying a quid pro quo with the installed regime.

Which means Trump has to go as he isn’t working for the US’s intrest 

7/23/18 1:04 PM
1/1/01

Subbed for later 

7/23/18 1:08 PM
1/1/01
Pratty -

Stupidest argument ever

in all those cases the US did it for its own self intrest, not the country they intervened in

And clearly Russia’s attack on the election was in their own self intrest. Implying a quid pro quo with the installed regime.

thats a far leap.. russia thought trump would be better for them.. so trump=russia?

deductive reasoning isnt you forte

7/23/18 1:11 PM
1/1/01
Pedro Navaja -
amadeus - 

Agreed.

The US has executed at least 81 overt and covert known interventions in foreign elections during the period 1946–2000.

By the same token, American's should not play the victim to 9/11 right?

Wasn't that simply a fair response to decades of meddlings, regime changes, bombing women + children in the middle east?

No... The 9/11 attacks were intentionally [and primarily] waged on civilian targets that had no strategic value. There is an argument to be made that American arrogance and meddling provoked the attacks sure, but we have never purposely targeted civilians and especially not in the lead up to 9/11.

7/23/18 1:13 PM
1/1/01
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F. -
Pratty -

Stupidest argument ever

thats a far leap.. russia thought trump would be better for them.. so trump=russia?

deductive reasoning isnt you forte

No. I said there’s a implied quid pro quo

which means the President isn’t working purely for the interests of the US... and should be removed from office 

7/23/18 1:17 PM
1/1/01
Pratty -

Stupidest argument ever

No... The US is the hegemonic power in the world. Yes, Russia acted in her own self-interest as you would expect, but that doesn’t have to take the form of a preferred candidate. Russia sought to cause and sow discord among the American people, and they succeeded. That serves and served Russian interest far more than acting in a single preferred candidates favor to secure an election.

7/23/18 1:19 PM
2/19/12

confessions of an economic hitman

7/23/18 1:23 PM
10/2/12

The Obama regime did everything it possibly could to over throw every secular ME country possible. And it was pretty successful at it. Leaving power vacuums that hardcore Muslim regimes took over in. 

7/23/18 1:25 PM
10/2/12

Oh and let’s not forget Obama regime doing everything it could do to fuck with the Israeli elections. 

7/23/18 1:25 PM
1/1/01
amadeus -
Pratty -

Stupidest argument ever

No... The US is the hegemonic power in the world. Yes, Russia acted in her own self-interest as you would expect, but that doesn’t have to take the form of a preferred candidate. Russia sought to cause and sow discord among the American people, and they succeeded. That serves and served Russian interest far more than acting in a single preferred candidates favor to secure an election.

I disgree. Trump was clearly the preferred candidate 

I called Putin’s leverage over Trump before the Steele dossier. It’s so fucking obvious

https://imgur.com/a/hf4yesv

7/23/18 1:30 PM
1/1/01
Donkey Hotee -
amadeus -

I don’t think I understand.

I haven’t seen anyone “playing the victim”.  When you say you don’t get too upset, do you mean with Russia or do you mean with the American government on whose watch it happened?

I think if given a choice everyone (by everyone I mean the citizenry) would fall on the side that’s against any government intervening in other governments internal business.  As that’s clearly not one of the choices, isn’t the whole point to do to them while not allowing them to do to us?

America is playing the victim... We’ve meddled so often that we have no right to cry foul when another country does it to us. Especially Russia since we’ve actively interfered in Ukrainian and Georgian elections to politically block Russia.

7/23/18 1:33 PM
1/1/01
Donkey Hotee -
amadeus -
Pratty -

Stupidest argument ever

Are you saying you think they did it with (a) no endgame in mind and (b) hoping to be discovered?  That seems unlikely in the extreme.

The discord was their endgame. How much time has been spent going after Trump over Russian interference? Since they also passed information to the Clinton campaign do you really think it would be any different if she had won?

We are further divided as a country than at anytime in my life. That has an effect on politics and creates opportunities for other rival nations.

7/23/18 1:34 PM
1/1/01
Pratty - 
amadeus -
Pratty -

Stupidest argument ever

I called Putin’s leverage over Trump before the Steele dossier. It’s so fucking obvious

Why does the existence of one candidate that is more favorable to Russian interests necessarily imply a quid pro quo?  

7/23/18 1:35 PM
1/1/01
Donkey Hotee -
amadeus -
Donkey Hotee -
amadeus -

I don’t think I understand.

I haven’t seen anyone “playing the victim”.  When you say you don’t get too upset, do you mean with Russia or do you mean with the American government on whose watch it happened?

I think if given a choice everyone (by everyone I mean the citizenry) would fall on the side that’s against any government intervening in other governments internal business.  As that’s clearly not one of the choices, isn’t the whole point to do to them while not allowing them to do to us?

America is playing the victim... We’ve meddled so often that we have no right to cry foul when another country does it to us. Especially Russia since we’ve actively interfered in Ukrainian and Georgian elections to politically block Russia.

It’s not “crying foul”, it’s simply a foul.  Nobody is supposed to do it, but everyone who can, does.  The point is to be good enough at CI to do it to them and not let them do it to you.

If you do it and everyone knows you do it, and you do it openly and don’t deny it because you are the hegemony, what right do you have to decry others who do it to you?

Edited: 7/23/18 1:58 PM
7/24/16

I read the list and it's definitely interesting, but I'm going to fact check the fuck out of it because, well, it's Pedro that submitted it. Not saying you're full of shit at times or prone to exaggeration, but.. Your trolling doesn't even get an emotional reaction from most on the OG these days. Maybe it's time to change up your game, be a little fresh. Your act isn't entertaining anymore. At least in the beginning I'd tell you how much of a race-baiting faggot you were and things along those lines, but now? You've grown stale, Pedro. Step your game up.

7/23/18 1:44 PM
1/1/01
Donkey Hotee -
amadeus -
Donkey Hotee -
amadeus -
Pratty -

Stupidest argument ever

Are you saying you think they did it with (a) no endgame in mind and (b) hoping to be discovered?  That seems unlikely in the extreme.

The discord was their endgame. How much time has been spent going after Trump over Russian interference? Since they also passed information to the Clinton campaign do you really think it would be any different if she had won?

We are further divided as a country than at anytime in my life. That has an effect on politics and creates opportunities for other rival nations.

I don’t think you undertake something as risky as this with and endgame of “discord”. I think most nations capable of organizing this type of effort are sophisticated enough to have more comprehensive goals for the risk profile it presents.

Why not? What is really the fallout? We already have sanctions against Russia. We aren’t going to war with a nuclear or a near-peer conventional power unless we have no other choice. Europe isn’t going to pressure them because they get most of their power from Russia and because they benefit from US political turmoil...

What really is the downside for Russia?

7/23/18 1:45 PM
11/9/17
kingofpancakes80 - #1 baby!

At all the wrong stuff

7/23/18 1:46 PM
6/13/03
Trust -
Pratty - 
amadeus -
Pratty -

Stupidest argument ever

Why does the existence of one candidate that is more favorable to Russian interests necessarily imply a quid pro quo?  

Its obvious that Russia was trying to prevent Clinton from being president more than they were trying to push Trump.

7/23/18 1:46 PM
6/10/08
amadeus -

Agreed. Also Russians didn’t hack voting machines. They exposed scumbags doing scumbag things. 

7/23/18 1:47 PM
12/5/17

I see what you did here...