S&C UnderGround Incorporating jump rope with weight lifting?

8/21/17 5:10 PM
2/12/07
I want to try it to shed some fat. I've always had one but never really got serious on using it. I'm on a 5x5 right now. Anyone know when I should jump rope? In between sets? Between lift changes? For how long? Or is it counter productive?
8/22/17 2:09 PM
6/10/03
For me it depends what i'm going for. Before lifting is for warming up ( i don't do it before every workout) and i'll usually go for a minute or so, then do some other stretches/movements to warm up and back to the rope. I'll usually do this 2 or three times until I fell ready to lift.

For cardio i'll do it after lifting and it will be 30 or 45 seconds on/ 15 seconds off. I try and go as hard as I can when "on". I'll usually do 12-20 rounds and most of the time i'll alternate between rounds of jumping off of two feet and rounds of alternating feet.

I wouldn't do it in between sets or exercises if you are trying to build strength. I just feel you won't recover enough to hit your strength exercises at the maximum benefit.
8/22/17 3:21 PM
2/12/07
Thanks for the input! I'll try those sets on my next work out.
10/1/18 9:12 AM
6/6/11

Personally I love jumping rope to warm up. It's an old habit for me having spent my entire sporting life so far doing Muay Thai & Boxing - so it's become a bit of a staple. 

Get a solid batch of rounds in and progress speed/variety of skips as you warm into it. I usually will finish or interupt with some solid dynamic stretches before going into any lifting. 

It's what makes me feel the most 'ready to go'. Not sure I'd like to input skipping between sets though or anything. 

10/11/18 10:27 AM
1/1/01

10/11/18 10:32 AM
1/1/01

Try incorporating jumping rope (or any other type of cardio) as part of a circuit of sorts.  i enjoy this on a semi-regular basis.  For example, after a good warm-up i'll do 1012 exercises that are balanced (push/pull), followed by about 10 minutes of cardio.  I'll do anywhere from 2-4 cycles through...much room for flexibility in this. 

10/11/18 10:33 AM
1/1/01
jamtmann -

Try incorporating jumping rope (or any other type of cardio) as part of a circuit of sorts.  i enjoy this on a semi-regular basis.  For example, after a good warm-up i'll do 1012 exercises that are balanced (push/pull), followed by about 10 minutes of cardio.  I'll do anywhere from 2-4 cycles through...much room for flexibility in this. 

10 to 12...not 1,012 :)