This looks like a good primer for those new to kettlebells

http://rdellatraining.com/the-ultimate-guide-to-kettlebell-training

That guy also has a good podcast. Phone Post 3.0
6/4/15 8:38 PM
5/17/13

how about Steve Maxwell's "300" DVD?

6/5/15 9:37 AM
8/23/09
After 4 week of KB training things are starting to look good in the mirror. Very impressed. Phone Post 3.0
6/5/15 2:14 PM
6/27/02
Triple X Guard - 
GaspareBJJ -
bull neck - Are you kidding? ROP is easy.

Heavy day - 5 x 1-2-3-4-5 c&P (and pull ups if you're serious).

Light day - 5 x 1-2-3

Medium - 5 x 1-2-3-4

When you can complete the heavy day you move up a bell. I suggest a 4kg jump, not a full 8kg jump. When you make the jump the first workout will be something like:

H - 3 x 1-2-3

L - 3 x 1

M - 3 x 1-2

Add reps until you get to 3 x 1-2-3-4-5 on the heavy day and adjust the light and medium days accordingly. Then add in ladders until you hit 5 x 1-2-3-4-5 again and repeat the process.

Don't use anything more than a 24kg unless you want fucked up shoulders or are a massive dude.
Wtf is 5 x 1-2-3-4-5? Phone Post 3.0
Clean press right hand
Clean press left hand

That's 1

Clean press right hand
Clean press right hand
Clean press left hand
Clean press left hand

That's 2

And so forth Phone Post 3.0

What sort of rest if any between each rep?

6/5/15 2:21 PM
3/5/14
Ian Paisley is my hero - 
Triple X Guard - 
GaspareBJJ -
bull neck - Are you kidding? ROP is easy.

Heavy day - 5 x 1-2-3-4-5 c&P (and pull ups if you're serious).

Light day - 5 x 1-2-3

Medium - 5 x 1-2-3-4

When you can complete the heavy day you move up a bell. I suggest a 4kg jump, not a full 8kg jump. When you make the jump the first workout will be something like:

H - 3 x 1-2-3

L - 3 x 1

M - 3 x 1-2

Add reps until you get to 3 x 1-2-3-4-5 on the heavy day and adjust the light and medium days accordingly. Then add in ladders until you hit 5 x 1-2-3-4-5 again and repeat the process.

Don't use anything more than a 24kg unless you want fucked up shoulders or are a massive dude.
Wtf is 5 x 1-2-3-4-5? Phone Post 3.0
Clean press right hand
Clean press left hand

That's 1

Clean press right hand
Clean press right hand
Clean press left hand
Clean press left hand

That's 2

And so forth Phone Post 3.0

What sort of rest if any between each rep?

Just enough to maintain good form and hit all the reps required.
6/5/15 3:44 PM
5/17/13
Rock the Gaspare -

Anyone? Phone Post 3.0
6/5/15 3:48 PM
3/5/14
Rock the Gaspare - 
Rock the Gaspare -

Anyone? Phone Post 3.0

I have never seen it so I have no opinion.
6/5/15 6:37 PM
5/17/13
Hurtsogood - 
Rock the Gaspare - 
Rock the Gaspare -

Anyone? Phone Post 3.0

I have never seen it so I have no opinion.

voted up

6/5/15 10:02 PM
8/23/09
Rock the Gaspare -
Rock the Gaspare -

Anyone? Phone Post 3.0
I don't think he will stear you wrong. Maxwell seems to come into the KB conversation along with Cotter; no RKC or SFG affiliation but very knowledgable and experienced. Phone Post 3.0
6/5/15 10:49 PM
5/17/13
Triple X Guard -
Rock the Gaspare -
Rock the Gaspare -

Anyone? Phone Post 3.0
I don't think he will stear you wrong. Maxwell seems to come into the KB conversation along with Cotter; no RKC or SFG affiliation but very knowledgable and experienced. Phone Post 3.0
Voted up

I just heard Maxwell talking about a circuit of swing, goblet squats, pull ups, right side Turkish get ups, pull ups, left side Turkish get ups Phone Post 3.0
6/6/15 12:13 AM
1/1/01
Triple X Guard -
Rock the Gaspare -
Rock the Gaspare -

Anyone? Phone Post 3.0
Maxwell and Cotter both were a part of the RKC in the beginning. Maxwell is credit for introducing the Get up into the RKC. I think he had more influence to the curriculum then he is credit for. They both left about the same time for their own reasons. Phone Post 3.0
6/6/15 10:12 AM
8/23/09
creekwarrior2 -
Triple X Guard -
Rock the Gaspare -
Rock the Gaspare -

Anyone? Phone Post 3.0
Maxwell and Cotter both were a part of the RKC in the beginning. Maxwell is credit for introducing the Get up into the RKC. I think he had more influence to the curriculum then he is credit for. They both left about the same time for their own reasons. Phone Post 3.0
That's cool man; good knowledge. This is one of the best threads on here in a while, you cool bastards. Phone Post 3.0
6/6/15 10:15 AM
8/23/09
Triple X Guard - Tonight I was humbled by the 45lb bell and on ladder 2 I realized I'm not ready for it. I switched back to the 35lb and finished out the 5 mins of snatches with 40 total.

Non dominant hand grip is failing and my wrist is cocking backwards which won't be sustainable on heavier lifts or more volume. Any advice? Phone Post 3.0
To expand on this, I joined the YMCA with my wife yesterday and used their bells. They have the brightly colored ones with metallic handles that are all the same size no matter what the weight. Anyway, no grip issues with those at all. I guess buying the CAP Bells from Academy was not a smart investment! Lesson learned. I think I'll order the Rogue ones from now on. I like to have them at home too so there's no barrier to entry for training in the week when I get home late from work. Phone Post 3.0
6/7/15 10:00 AM
5/17/13
Triple X Guard -
Triple X Guard - Tonight I was humbled by the 45lb bell and on ladder 2 I realized I'm not ready for it. I switched back to the 35lb and finished out the 5 mins of snatches with 40 total.

Non dominant hand grip is failing and my wrist is cocking backwards which won't be sustainable on heavier lifts or more volume. Any advice? Phone Post 3.0
To expand on this, I joined the YMCA with my wife yesterday and used their bells. They have the brightly colored ones with metallic handles that are all the same size no matter what the weight. Anyway, no grip issues with those at all. I guess buying the CAP Bells from Academy was not a smart investment! Lesson learned. I think I'll order the Rogue ones from now on. I like to have them at home too so there's no barrier to entry for training in the week when I get home late from work. Phone Post 3.0
What are the "best" bells out there? Phone Post 3.0
6/7/15 12:50 PM
1/1/01
The Rogue bells I have are awesome, highly recommended.

That being said, if I could afford full sets of competition kettle bells I'd have them over any other strength training tool I've owned. Phone Post 3.0
6/7/15 1:03 PM
1/1/01
Also, anyone have the ETK Plus article Pavel put out like 5 years ago in Milo? I purchased a digital copy from them but I don't think their customer service set up is very good and I've yet to receive any notification about where to download my purchase. Phone Post 3.0
6/7/15 2:36 PM
8/23/09
Rock the Gaspare -
Triple X Guard -

I'm sure Bullneck can let us know. I've no idea... Phone Post 3.0
6/7/15 2:38 PM
1/1/01
The Rogue bells are the best I've found for the price. Phone Post
6/7/15 8:57 PM
1/1/01
Triple X Guard -
Rock the Gaspare -
Triple X Guard -

I'm going to guess he's going to say Dragon Door. That would be my first choice. Then Rogue bells. Good Quality and price. Phone Post 3.0
6/8/15 8:42 AM
3/5/14
Triple X Guard - 

Yea those colored ones are supposed to be competition style bells I believe. They are all the same size so no matter what weight you are using the technique and feel of handling them remains the same.

I personally have a few cap bells from amazon and for the price and free shipping they were worth it. Definitely not the best bells but they work fine and don't cost a lot.

I got some 24 kg bells from xtrainingequipment.com and they seem to be pretty high quality.
6/8/15 8:44 AM
3/5/14
creekwarrior2 - 
Triple X Guard -
Rock the Gaspare -
Triple X Guard -

I'm going to guess he's going to say Dragon Door. That would be my first choice. Then Rogue bells. Good Quality and price. Phone Post 3.0

I've heard rogue and dragon door both have very good bells. I think the best would be competition bells if you really wanted to spend some money though.
6/8/15 6:15 PM
1/1/01
I do like DD bells the best. Part of that bias is because I work for them and used to sell them, but I had the chance to sell other brands and knocked them back because I only wanted to sell the best. If you're buying standard bells DD are just a cut above the others, but they'd want to be for the price difference.

Now I no longer sell DD bells, and getting them into Australia is impossible as you need to order by container load (and screw buying a whole container of bells just so I can have another few 32s) I have had to start looking around.

Locally we have the new Rogue bell available under a few different labels, but still the same bell. Good quality, slightly different shape to DD, coating not as good and a bit too rough. People think you want a smooth handle but in my experience slightly rough is better as it helps to grip it when you get sweaty. The latest DD bells have gone too smooth IMO and at my gym people tend to leave them alone and go for the slightly older DD bells with the better, slightly rougher coating.

We also have a brand called Aussie Strength which is pretty good and is a stolen DD mold from about six years ago. So the shape is excellent but the coating again isn't so good as the factory producing these is one of the ones we fired for not having good quality control.

At the end of it buy for quality, not price. Like all good gym equipment they'll last forever if you buy good ones. All the noise over comp vs standard is largely BS. I had only comp bells to train with prior to my RKC and it didn't do me any harm. The only difference is in grip strength - comp bells just don't force you to develop it the way standard bells do.

So that's the difference - if you're a grappler buy standard bells so you can develop incidental grip strength and endurance. But for everyone buy the best quality you can find.
6/9/15 8:42 AM
3/5/14
Thanks Bull neck, so those comp bells have thinner handles since they are used for the long cycle competitions to aid in preventing grip fatigue I take it?
6/9/15 11:41 AM
5/17/13
Triple X Guard - After 4 week of KB training things are starting to look good in the mirror. Very impressed. Phone Post 3.0
What have you been doing? Phone Post 3.0