S&C UnderGround Lifetime Workout?

12/23/19 9:39 PM
1/1/01

I've been working out off and on for a long time, mostly bodyweight/strands/dumbells/kettlebells.

I would like to find a workout that I can use without all of the math, periodization, 10 dollar words, that plague the internet over the last 10 years.

At my age (54) all I want is strength gains and endurance for life/martial arts, not obsessed with putting on size anymore, not worried about getting ripped. I'd like to work out 4-5 days a week.

Can anyone point me to a program that doesn't stray very much from those goals?

I've read several times that the reason to change workouts after 12 (or so) weeks didn't happen until after steriods.
I don't know if that is true or not, but I always figured that if you constantly increase the weight over a couple of workouts you are doing ok.(?)

Is it ok to not change things up?

Thanks

12/25/19 3:43 PM
7/20/04

Look up Easy Strength by Dan John. 4 exercises: push, pull, hinge, squat for 2 sets of 5 with half your max. This will get you stronger and ultimately maintain muscle once built. Do a weighted carry to finish it off if you like. No need to change things up unless you want to try different exercises, which is probably a good idea

12/25/19 8:30 PM
2/9/09

Pavel simple and sinister seems like a good start, low impact 

12/25/19 11:30 PM
1/1/01

Thank you guys,
I just got S+S for a Christmas present and am going to give it a try.
Dan John will be next on the list.

Thanks for taking time to answer, have a great Christmas!

1/30/20 11:16 PM
8/20/16

Get Overcoming Gravity 2 and try some gymnastics strength training.

9/28/20 2:19 PM
1/1/01

Hey, I'm in the same boat as you, 55 years and wanting to stay healthy to continue training.  Matt Brzycki's 3rd Edition of A Practical Approach to Strength and Conditioning is an excellent and very readable text on strength training.  I highly recommend it.  You can get it for under $10 - I teach Kinesiology and Judo at a small university in Butte, Montana, and i use this text for my strength and conditioning course.  The title says it all "A Practical Approach..."  The general idea is that you must  efficiently utilize the Principle of Overload , which can be done using bodyweight, kettlebells, standard weights, machines or any other implement that allows for double progression.  Professionals who suppor this (HIT) method of training state that strength and conditioning is not rocket science, and that quality over quantity (during general strength training) is the recommended approach.