OtherGround Forums OG doc. AMA on COVID-19

3/31/20 6:22 PM
4/27/14
prof - Job Security,

Great reports, thanks!

My wife is a GP and her clinic is doing shifts so she's only going in once a week (otherwise doing phone consultations from home). Not many patients coming in. And those presenting possible COVID symptoms are funneled away to specialized units before they would end up in her clinic. (I'm in Canada)

I'm still worried about my wife, being a health care worker. But at least, thus far, the measures employed have her safer than I originally feared.

Hope she and you stay safe!

3/31/20 6:38 PM
6/30/07
PoopingTom -

Do healthcare workers get tested regularly or only if they have symptoms?

Gotta get sick like everyone else, at least for now. Hopefully we will be awash in quick tests soon.

3/31/20 6:40 PM
6/30/07
Richardjohnson81 -

Just wanted to share my experience. The emergency room at the hospital I work at is packed entirely now with all enhanced droplet precaution patients and they are all suspect covid cases.

Feels a little surreal to be working here. Like I'm part of the contagion movie set. We have had our first nurse test positive as well. All the iv pumps and any other machines being used when applicable are being kept outside of the rooms so their isnt a need to keep changing PPE.

The patients I've had to move up to the ward are in rough shape. These patients are the ones who aren't needing ICU treatment right away. I wouldn't be transporting them if they were going direct to ICU.

How are you doing for ppe? We're already into our "share" of the state cache. 

Heard from nurses in MI wearing glad bags as gowns.

3/31/20 7:09 PM
11/4/11
PoopingTom -

We are doing symptom/fever screening at employee entrances, but testing is only for symptoms or known exposure. Thankfully our system was able to start doing a rapid in house test this weekend, so we are getting answers in a hour or so instead of multiple days like we  were having to wait for previously. That will help prevent people from having to be out of work for a long time if they had a symptom but are negative, and is helping with PPE as we can rule patients out faster

3/31/20 7:13 PM
10/23/05
Richardjohnson81 - 

Thoughrs on this study?

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.23.20039446v2

Can you break it down in laymen's terms. Is airborne transfer likely?

Airborne transmission was discussed today by Job Security and others. It's certainly likely to be spreading this way, at least to some extent.

3/31/20 7:15 PM
10/23/05
PoopingTom - 

It completely depends where you are.

My moronic hospital admins decided we should screen ALL patients at my hospital today (but not health workers), regardless of symptoms... They backtracked a few hours later.

For now, we're only tested if COVID-suggestive symptoms.

A lot of improvisation unfortunately.

3/31/20 7:27 PM
12/13/11
mataleo1 -
Neil McCauley -

mataleo, 

I am planning to give it a try of coming off my entyvio medication for ulcerative colitis. about 3 weeks ago I got my last infusion. And I only got it because I was headed to mexico for 3 weeks and I didn't want to test coming off only to have a flare up and be unable to get medication. entyvio is given in 4 or 6 or 8 week Intervals. I have been delaying it to see if I get any symptoms.the last time I went 11 weeks and had no problems.  Do you think this is a good idea to try right now? will it immediately strengthen my immune system to help fight off the corona if I dont get another infusion? or is my immune system compromised for longer than the drug is in my system? 

Hey. Your immune system is likely not normal. These drugs affect immunity for an extended period of time. If you're young and otherwise healthy, the risk for you to be very sick from COVID is small. However, if you can delay that medication safely, I'd consider it. Weighing up balances here. Ulcerative colitis is no joke, as you know, and I wouldn't want you to have a flare up just to avoid the small risk of being very ill from COVID. What does your GI think?

thanks for both your responses.  I haven't talked to my g I doc in a couple years.  he would like me to continue taking the medication for the rest of my life. and he claims nothing can be done via life or diet etc. to help cure the condition or keep it in remission. he is an old dude. like mid 70s but the top G I doctor in all of western canada. his old school approach that no alternative medicine will work is a bit off putting and and he quickly dismisses it and quite frankl it doesnt make me want to see or discuss anything with him.  I think I want to start trying peptides too. BPC 157 for instance. 

3/31/20 7:29 PM
6/14/19
Mountain Medic -
Richardjohnson81 -

Just wanted to share my experience. The emergency room at the hospital I work at is packed entirely now with all enhanced droplet precaution patients and they are all suspect covid cases.

Feels a little surreal to be working here. Like I'm part of the contagion movie set. We have had our first nurse test positive as well. All the iv pumps and any other machines being used when applicable are being kept outside of the rooms so their isnt a need to keep changing PPE.

The patients I've had to move up to the ward are in rough shape. These patients are the ones who aren't needing ICU treatment right away. I wouldn't be transporting them if they were going direct to ICU.

How are you doing for ppe? We're already into our "share" of the state cache. 

Heard from nurses in MI wearing glad bags as gowns.

We ran out of eye protection yesterday in ER. It's been replenished today. There is a shortage though. Everything's being kept under lock n key. Actually had some internal thefts over the weekend.

Staff are bringing some of their own eye protection in even though management is frowning upon it.

3/31/20 7:58 PM
3/17/14

my GF was potentially exposed from a positive coworker last week, so we are both on quarantine. Of course I have several concerns but one of them is I am on antibiotics currently. how alarming is it to be on antibiotics which suppress the immune system while battling Covid-19? Can taking Zinc with Vitamin C help?

sorry if this has been talked about before.

Im more concerned with my gf, who has a blood disorder ( beta thalassemia) and a weak immune system in general.

what a crazy time to be alive

Thanks

3/31/20 8:30 PM
8/2/19
knappster -

my GF was potentially exposed from a positive coworker last week, so we are both on quarantine. Of course I have several concerns but one of them is I am on antibiotics currently. how alarming is it to be on antibiotics which suppress the immune system while battling Covid-19? Can taking Zinc with Vitamin C help?

sorry if this has been talked about before.

Im more concerned with my gf, who has a blood disorder ( beta thalassemia) and a weak immune system in general.

what a crazy time to be alive

Thanks

It's not clear whether those things help or don't but as long its not harmful you should hedge your bets and take them.

3/31/20 9:00 PM
3/13/18
josh1407 -

Can someone help point out my un educated numbers here? 

61 million positive cases on swine flu and far more deaths. Noone is talking about the number of population who DONT have covid-19 if I did my math right. It's less than 1% of the US population. Is it normal for me to think the media has blown this out of perportion?

Go away

3/31/20 9:11 PM
8/2/19
josh1407 -

61 million positive cases on swine flu and far more deaths. Noone is talking about the number of population who DONT have covid-19 if I did my math right. It's less than 1% of the US population. Is it normal for me to think the media has blown this out of perportion?

It's in the early stages, growth is still logarithmic.  If we had taken precautions during swine flu that we are now we wouldn't have 61 million positive cases and we would have had a lot less deaths.

Hope that helps.

3/31/20 10:06 PM
2/2/20
josh1407 -

you know how you know you asked a dumb question?

you made a brand new account to ask it, lol

3/31/20 10:12 PM
4/27/14

I braved going into Costco for the first time in about a month today. About half the people in there were wearing N95s or surgical masks or industrial maskls and some improvised (scarfs, bandanas, etc. - one guy had a t-shirt pulled up around his mouth.) I thinki it's about to become the new normal, it just seems commonsensical to seek any protection, even if not 100%, from breathing in droplets in the air. And to protect others if you've got it but aren't symptomatic yet.

Will suck for banks, though.

3/31/20 11:00 PM
3/6/06
josh1407 -

Yes, it is true that swine flu spread much slower and was much less deadly.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Edited: 4/1/20 10:06 AM
11/23/10
mataleo1 -
PoopingTom - 

It completely depends where you are.

My moronic hospital admins decided we should screen ALL patients at my hospital today (but not health workers), regardless of symptoms... They backtracked a few hours later.

For now, we're only tested if COVID-suggestive symptoms.

A lot of improvisation unfortunately.

Here it used to be that healthcare workers were tested by the same strict criteria as everyone else, unless their head of department declared them to be critical for operations on a case-by-case basis. Instead of testing, staff were asked to stay a home if they had respiratory/airway symptoms and until 48 hours after symptom remission. Administrators went back-and-forth on this several times though, in times when testing temporarily became a bit more available or when too much staff was at home on sick leave.

In the last few days, with testing capacity ramping up, health workers with symptoms or in risk-units are the first to get tested in addition to sick patients that are hospitalized. Also, they’ve started rolling out antibody blood testing to 400 hospital workers as part of a study in one region to examine how many have been infected and, presumably, made immune to reinfection.

4/1/20 7:56 AM
7/5/12

ER PA here and our hospital is so strict on testing criteria, it’s beyond frustrating. When we are able to test, results are taking 2-10 days. Hoping things change soon with more private labs creating tests etc. We’re really low on PPE too and haven’t seen a surge of critical patients yet.  Crazy times, be safe everyone 

4/1/20 8:48 AM
1/1/01

im sorry if this was asked before theres a lot of pages here.Im in Huntington Station NY one of the worst spots for it.When should i wear the mask and gloves ? thanks Hope everyone is safe

4/1/20 8:55 AM
1/1/01

I’d like to see antibody testing available to everyone at home, is this possible?

4/1/20 9:50 AM
8/11/12

First

Edited: 4/1/20 10:35 AM
1/9/02
CPickering -

ER PA here and our hospital is so strict on testing criteria, it’s beyond frustrating. When we are able to test, results are taking 2-10 days. Hoping things change soon with more private labs creating tests etc. We’re really low on PPE too and haven’t seen a surge of critical patients yet.  Crazy times, be safe everyone 

were seeing 2-5 day turnaround time at the local hospital for tests and Im seeing pateints discharged with cough pending covid test with no ppe for myself or my team. we're completely out of stock. theyve defined me as "medium"risk so its not deemed appropriate.

this is a cluster

like everyone else has been saying. this is my duty, not my job. i would tell them to shove this job up their ass.

4/1/20 12:24 PM
12/9/13
gregbrady -
CPickering -

were seeing 2-5 day turnaround time at the local hospital for tests and Im seeing pateints discharged with cough pending covid test with no ppe for myself or my team. we're completely out of stock. theyve defined me as "medium"risk so its not deemed appropriate.

this is a cluster

like everyone else has been saying. this is my duty, not my job. i would tell them to shove this job up their ass.

i know we(Netherlands) are cleaning maks for re-use

4/1/20 2:35 PM
1/1/01

Why is the W.H.O. saying that masks do not prevent you from getting the virus when even the head of infectious disease in S Korea says everyone in Asia knows that is not true. Is this something being said so people do not buy up masks so healthcare professionals can start receiving more? If so, why lie about it as it starts hurting credibility of no transparency?

4/1/20 3:08 PM
5/5/07

We are running so low on ppe, they giving us just two for the whole shift.  We are now required to all wear masks the whole shift.

All this started after a patient who was admitted for a uti and was in non isolation room and then two days later tested positive and also his neighbour as well.     Who the hell knows how many ppl went onto that room and might be infected.    Logistically we cant swab everyone but my god this is how the hospitals are going to get hit by this virus.    With lack of ppe we are all fucked.   This is canada too.    The hell is going on.

Is this similar situation in quebec mateo?

Complete shit show, i feel like its only a matter of time when i get covid,  not even a if anymore.

Governments need to step the fuck up.  This is getting ridiculous.   Frustrating

4/1/20 3:38 PM
2/4/09

Malaria Drug Helps Virus Patients Improve, in Small Study

A group of moderately ill people were given hydroxychloroquine, which appeared to ease their symptoms quickly, but more research is needed.