S&C UnderGround Soreness when lifting?

9/20/18 11:54 AM
4/2/08

Why do I have the worse soreness in my joint when I curl? It is so painful the next day that I can’t bend my arm or straighten it and it last for about a week? I can’t do any exercise at all until it’s gone.

I haven’t lifted in years because of this pain and want to get started again, but fear the pain, I’m scared that I can cause myself rabdo 

Edited: 11/28/18 6:52 AM
3/12/02
You're experiencing DOMS (delayed onset muscle soreness). Nothing helps DOMS or prevents it. If you're untrained, detrained, or have taken years off it's unavoidable. The pain/discomfort you're experiencing is totally out of proportion to it's potential seriousness. Rabdo can actually kill you.
12/1/18 4:23 AM
1/1/01

Sounds like tendonitis.  If you keep doing that, it may lead to a much more serious problem.  No curls for you for awhile-- at least a couple of months (longer to be safe).  I'm guessing you are doing standard straight bar curls or EZ-curl bar.  After a few weeks off (or longer if you need it), start back VERY light, and begin with hammer curls and/or palm-down curls, and unless you have a medical reason not to, also take ibuprofen.

12/4/18 6:26 PM
1/1/01
I experienced this a few weeks ago.

I'm 41 and have never lifted weights seriously. I haven't touched weights in years.

A few weeks ago I did a few sets of barbell curls. Couldn't straighten my left arm for 4 or 5 days.

When it was better, I did the same thing, but stopped as soon as reps were no longer easy. No problems.

The next time, I did a few more reps, but nowhere near failure. No problems.

Haven't went to failure again, but will continue to inch toward it.
12/4/18 6:27 PM
1/1/01
"Do not let what you cannot do interfere with what you can do." – John Wooden
1/30/19 6:59 PM
1/1/01
jlamb - I experienced this a few weeks ago.

I'm 41 and have never lifted weights seriously. I haven't touched weights in years.

A few weeks ago I did a few sets of barbell curls. Couldn't straighten my left arm for 4 or 5 days.

When it was better, I did the same thing, but stopped as soon as reps were no longer easy. No problems.

The next time, I did a few more reps, but nowhere near failure. No problems.

Haven't went to failure again, but will continue to inch toward it.

Excellent post!

Sub-maximal training has long term value.
2/2/19 9:48 AM
3/6/14

don't eat carbs and eat lots of fatty meat. 

8/31/19 5:21 AM
3/20/02
Also you guys with longoffs or never have done weightlifting...you may need to lower the weight and reps or one of the other.

Being that i have lifted weights in gyms over 25+ years., this could make the difference in the lessening the soreness