UnderGround Forums 13 Years ago: Jake Rossen - Overeem Should Retire

Edited: 16 days ago
12/7/10

One of the many reasons why calls from MMA pundits for a fighter to hang it up are usually, in the words of Khabib Nurmagomedov, Number 1 Bullshit.

Jake Rossen was once the Ariel Helwani of MMA journalism. Breaking stories left and right and causing controversy everywhere. Rossen wrote this piece for Sherdog on March 13, 2007. At the time Alistair Overeem had lost 4 of his last 5 fights. To Antonio Nogueira, Ricardo Arona, Mauricio Rua, and Sergei Kharitonov. Not exactly tomato cans, but Rossen felt it was enough to make the following statement:

"His latest attempt, a rematch against Rua, ended far sooner than their previous engagement. On his game, Overeem is a nightmare of devastating strikes and a lanky frame that can easily frustrate opponents. His recent performances belie his potential. The guy needs a cruise."

Needs a cruise. Every other fighter on Rossen’s list of 9 who should retire have long ago retired, or passed away:

Tank Abbott

Dan Severn

Elvis Sinosic

Mark Coleman

Kevin Randleman

Cabbage Correira

Frank Mir

Mark Kerr

Shannon Rich

13 years later, Overeem survived all those guys, including Rossen, and is poised to mount an unthinkable potential title run. In the NBA, a career this remarkable would be celebrated and Overeem would go out with the accolades his legendary career deserves.

Here’s to a fighter who always danced to the beat of his own drum and has been the epitome of and professionalism. If you happen to be in attendance for the final fight of his career, raise your cup and say your cheers for one of the true good guys of MMA.

16 days ago
11/1/19

Love Reem. Hate to see him taking this much damage at 40. He’s got nothing left to prove. He should hang em up.

16 days ago
1/1/01

ttt

16 days ago
12/7/10
JThomasufc91 -

Love Reem. Hate to see him taking this much damage at 40. He’s got nothing left to prove. He should hang em up.

You missed the part where it says he doesn't dance to your drum. 

14 days ago
5/28/03

the thing with reem is that he'll always be dangerous but has been tko'd a legit 18 times in his career.

hes done so much horse meat his endocrine system is about as predictable as "creepy crawlers".

if its a matter of going for the ufc crown until the wheels fall off than so be it, but hes gonna be risking the type of brain damage goodridge is dealing with.

14 days ago
3/2/12

MMA is a funny sport.... the real golden age is passing us by. Just a few days ago I was thinking how I wished Hendo had an upcoming fight and how I missed seeing him scrap regularly. Then I remembered he's gotta be nearing 50 now and he ain't coming back. Soon the Reem will ride into the sunset too. And Shogun. And Werdum, Anderson, Cowboy, Aldo, Lawler, etc. I'm really going to miss seeing all these guys fight, especially having grown up watching them.

14 days ago
12/7/10

This is a very good point and not discussed enough. You are absolutely correct so many of the fighters that made the UFC what it is will either be retiring in the next few years, or have only a few years more of fighting.

Jon Jones, Israel Adesayna, Conor McGregor are all 30 years or more.

Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal are 35+.

Where's the young blood that will reinvigorate the UFC?

3-5 years from now, we could be looking at a bunch of mostly unknowns fighting for relevancy.

Too  bad there's no NCAA for the UFC.

14 days ago
1/12/07

Reem is a special kind of guy. Seems immune to brain damage.

14 days ago
1/1/01
SHOGUN250 - 

MMA is a funny sport.... the real golden age is passing us by. Just a few days ago I was thinking how I wished Hendo had an upcoming fight and how I missed seeing him scrap regularly. Then I remembered he's gotta be nearing 50 now and he ain't coming back. Soon the Reem will ride into the sunset too. And Shogun. And Werdum, Anderson, Cowboy, Aldo, Lawler, etc. I'm really going to miss seeing all these guys fight, especially having grown up watching them.

The golden age of MMA was long ago, pre-tuf IMHO.

14 days ago
6/26/06
Who's been around longer, Vitor or Reem? Its gotta be Vitor but I bet it isnt by much.
14 days ago
7/10/02
SpunQ - 

True that 18 brutal KOs should have left more lasting damage! Good for him

14 days ago
3/17/17
^Maybe its BECAUSE hes gotten KOd 18 times rather than had 18 extended brutal wars where he WASNT KOd before a overly brutal beating could occur?

Seems the consensus is that its the beatings you take where you dont go down and the concusive blows that DONT take you out but rather allow you to take MORE blows that create most of the extreme cases of CTE.

But im broscientisting. And Im always happy that a guy like Reem is as eloquent as ever.
14 days ago
12/7/10

^Maybe its BECAUSE hes gotten KOd 18 times rather than had 18 extended brutal wars where he WASNT KOd before a overly brutal beating could occur?

Another great point. So true. He's gotten cut real bad, awful bad, but I don't recall any extended mauling or relentless assault.

I think the way he handled himself before and after the Walt Harris fight was just a master session of grace and I can only imagine how difficult it would be to fight a guy who's daughter was killed and who EVERYONE was rooting for to win and have a great ending to the story.

It was a bizaare fight in a bizaare time and Overeem handled it all like a true professional.

14 days ago
5/28/03
Dryfly - 
SHOGUN250 - 

yeah lol

Maybe 2007 is when it peaked.

14 days ago
5/28/03
RenatoCocopreta - Who's been around longer, Vitor or Reem? Its gotta be Vitor but I bet it isnt by much.

Vito by many years. Started at 18.

14 days ago
8/6/06

Well... obviously Rossen is an idiot. Overeem was in his mid 20's at th at time. 

14 days ago
8/6/06
HELWIG -
RenatoCocopreta - Who's been around longer, Vitor or Reem? Its gotta be Vitor but I bet it isnt by much.

Vito by many years. Started at 18.

Vitor statred in October 1996, Reem stated in October 1999.

14 days ago
11/30/07
SHOGUN250 -

Golden age ended 2007

13 days ago
11/20/10

Ironically Reem hit his peak a few years after that. 

13 days ago
11/20/10
Dryfly -
SHOGUN250 - 

I reckon broadly 2003-2011 was the peak. It was a good middle ground where the sport was pretty big and the overall skill level was good, but there was still a sense of it being some dangerous new frontier of combat sports that the mainstream was afraid of. After UFC moved to Fox and they started pumping out cards practically every weekend things just felt different.

13 days ago
1/24/13

13 days ago
7/27/04

time for Overeem Ngannou 2!!!

13 days ago
9/26/10
SpunQ -

probably because he doesn't take a lot of damage. one shot and he's out. It's the guys who take a beating that get really fucked up

13 days ago
12/14/15
SHOGUN250 -

Passing us by? It’s gone mate. This sports lacked credibility, intrigue and a genuine sense of watching something special for a long time. Reem is a throwback to glory days. He’s not part of them today. 

13 days ago
1/1/01
I don't think anyone has "re-invented" themselves as much as Overeem has. His skill-level is off the charts and it's been an absolute pleasure watching him fight for this long.