UnderGround Forums Adesanya Coach wants Miocic not Jones in 2021

2/17/20 9:27 AM
1/1/01

Israel Adesanya's head coach, City Kickboxing owner Eugene Bareman, appeared recently on Submission Radio and charted out the next year or so for the UFC middleweight champion.

“Israel stated, and I think it’s a very good plan, he’s gonna do his thing in the middleweight division,” said Bareman. “There’s some really tough challenges. He should clear those out. There’s at least three or four more good challenges. But three or four more fights for Israel is like maybe within this year. So, after that, what’s the next challenge? For him, and we’ve done it in all the sports that we’ve participated in, it’s to move up in weight. And trust me, if he has these three or four more middleweight fights, we will push to fight Stipe [Miocic], a hundred percent.

“Yeah, that’s the fight. ... If Israel can get the business done at middleweight, and if he’s successful he will definitely look to move and challenge Stipe. That’s a serious thing. But for us, we’re not paying immediate attention to it. There’s just so much that we have to put our concentration into now that it’s on the back burner. It’s in the back of our minds. So, yeah, let’s see if that hurries along Jon Jones.”

"It’s not up to Israel. I make the decision on the fight. So, come 2021, Israel has to convince me that we should fight Jon Jones. And if I don’t feel that we have to, then it’s not gonna happen. It’s not even Israel’s call."

“There’s a lot of things that he would have to do, and a lot of those things that he’d have to do to fight Jon start now, that have already started. There’s a lot of stuff that we have to do. For all of Jon Jones’ faults as a person, he’s still a very, very good fighter and to prepare for someone of that nature, who’s that good, the prep for that sort of fight starts now. Yeah, but I’ve already stated that I don’t think that fight’s necessary. ... I think we’re on a different path, I just think we’re on a different journey. Israel’s got a lot of convincing to do before that fight happens.”

Next up for Adesanya is Adesanya is Yoel Romero at UFC 248 on March 7.

“Well, we just believe that if we can implement the strategy and some of the skills that we want to against Romero, we believe that we can get another type of victory, in the sense that most victories that people get over Romero are controversial and very close. But we just see a different path,” said Bareman. “And that’s only, of course, if we’re able to implement our game plan. We believe that we can beat Romero a lot more convincingly than everybody else. At the end of the day, our goal is always the victory.”

“We want to Alex Volkanovski him. We want to win all five rounds convincingly with no doubt in anyone’s mind. That’s what Alex did, right? I think we can all agree on that. I know that that’s still controversial. I know there’s still people that think that fight’s close, but that’s ridiculous. Anyway, that’s the reference I use because Alex completely dominated that fight every single round. It wasn’t close. It was without a doubt. And we want to do the same thing. We never have a game plan to stop Romero. So, I’m more talking about just unanimously, without any doubt, beating him. That’s what we want to do.”

2/17/20 10:03 AM
12/9/12

Not as ridiculous as Ronda beating Cain, but still a bit far-fetched I would say. Stipe could easily bear-hug Israel into unconsciousness... 

Edited: 2/17/20 11:55 AM
6/9/16

Izzy is a talented fighter, but pushing him to HW is a mistake. He'd definitely have a speed advantage but he'll be less likely to KO guys there and will be overpowered by his opponents.

2/17/20 10:15 AM
10/8/07

Sounds like his coach has no confidence in him beating Jon, and wants no part of it.

2/17/20 10:20 AM
1/1/01

Sounds like the coach is cleverly pushing for Jones :-)

2/17/20 10:21 AM
2/14/11

ZzzzZzZ

2/17/20 10:25 AM
6/28/10
Kirik -

Common sense response. Now lets get back to the good ol' UG responses, like he's scared of Jones...

2/17/20 10:33 AM
12/26/19

Defend your title a few times, then talk about super fights.

2/17/20 10:39 AM
10/1/10
KhabibWinsTheRematch -

Seems to literally be their plan.

2/17/20 11:09 AM
7/28/10

i think he loses to Romero, story over. 

2/17/20 11:43 AM
8/31/15

Have him fight reyes

2/17/20 11:54 AM
3/11/11

These fighters all love to look past one another. Why can't they live in the moment and focus on the current challenges. Then when they loose they look super foolish. He just got the belt really and has a beast standing in front of him named Romero. That's the wrong person to look past. 

2/17/20 1:19 PM
10/14/12
"We want to win all five rounds convincingly with no doubt in anyone’s mind"

You dont want to finish him in exciting, water cooler talk fashion?
2/17/20 1:23 PM
10/1/16
Coach sounds like an asshole saying it's his decision, not Izzys.
2/17/20 5:13 PM
2/10/20
SuperFightFan - "We want to win all five rounds convincingly with no doubt in anyone’s mind"

You dont want to finish him in exciting, water cooler talk fashion?

Izzy does.

Maybe his coach is being more pragmatic like coaches should be .... (?)
2/17/20 7:44 PM
12/7/10

"It’s not up to Israel. I make the decision on the fight. So, come 2021, Israel has to convince me that we should fight Jon Jones. And if I don’t feel that we have to, then it’s not gonna happen. It’s not even Israel’s call."

100% guarantee Greg Jackson would NEVER make such a ludicrous statement about Jon Jones. 

2/17/20 7:57 PM
6/28/10
decasere -

i think he loses to Romero, story over. 

quoted for more crow eating when he makes it look easy.

2/17/20 9:04 PM
1/1/01
BrckNoHitBk - 
Kirik -

Common sense response. Now lets get back to the good ol' UG responses, like he's scared of Jones...

Sounds like he's just getting under Jones's skin with all of Jones's talk about wanting to fight Stipe. If Adesanya does it first and actually wins, holy shit. He just clowned Jones like no one ever has.

But first, one step at a time!
2/17/20 9:25 PM
1/1/01
Flavorful - Coach sounds like an asshole saying it's his decision, not Izzys.

This

2/17/20 9:44 PM
8/14/12

I think Israel does well in a kickbox fight against stipe. The size difference isn’t huge. But the size diffence lets stipe rape him in the wrestle department imo 

2/17/20 10:22 PM
11/1/03
stainlesssteel -

100% guarantee Greg Jackson would NEVER make such a ludicrous statement about Jon Jones. 

Didnt Jackson do just that when Jones turned down a short notice fight with Belfort? Jones said it was the teams decision

2/17/20 10:33 PM
12/7/10

no

2/17/20 11:06 PM
12/7/10

ok so after listening to the whole interview I revise my asessment. Just reading the quotes and seeing only the words, it's easy to decipher it as kind of arrogant and uber controlling. Like I run this show and the fighter does what I say. But when you listen to the full interview and check out the body language, I think that's a misread. 

When he says It’s not even Israel’s call, I think he says that more out of closeness with his fighters rather than smugness or it's up to me not the fighter attitude. He probably knows that Israel Adesayna and the other fighters in his camp would never accept a fight he disagreed with, so it's more confidence he has in them and they in him that probably lead to that statement.

Also New Zealanders/Australians are typically not your cocksure arrogant full of themselves people that we usually see in MMA. This coach does not strike me as that type of person.

2/18/20 6:40 AM
10/13/13
Bartholomew P Skibbenheims III -
KhabibWinsTheRematch -

Seems to literally be their plan.

Apart from the whole talking about super fights first thing 

2/18/20 10:09 AM
9/13/18

Really, three or four more middleweight title fights and this dudes going to fight Stipe?? Lol so two more years at middleweight. Which in two years anyone can be champ at heavyweight. This guy is so annoying. It's obvious he's still chasing that Jones fight. He knows by then Jones should be up there. My guess is, this dudes going to get Ko'ed by yoel or coasta cause he keeps over looking them.

Can't believe how much everyone likes this dude, I find his whole attitude disrespectful and fake. I also don't think he's that great of a fighter. The fight could have gone either way with his silva and Kelvin fights. He also Ko'ed a fairly damaged rob as far as ring rust and sickness goes. I'm pretty much sayin this dude isn't as special as he makes himself out to be. He's just trying to be like conner when it comes to the cocky attitude. He's really bad at it tho, tries way to hard.

When this dude takes his first loss in the UFC, he'll fall apart. He'll be the new RDA. Pretty soon a win over him will be easier then banging titos ex wife