UnderGround Forums Aldo’s leg kicks

5 days ago
1/28/19

This has more than likely already been discussed at length but I can’t see a thread on it so starting one now.

Aldo’s infamous leg kicks, what’s happened to them? Where have they gone? They were and still should be one of his greatest weapons but I’ve not seen him utilise them in his last 5 or more fights, not to the extent he did in the past (Faber).

Has he injured his legs in the past or were opponents getting wise and catching them?

5 days ago
7/27/11

Fans have been theorizing that he fucked up his legs a long time ago. He’s primarily a boxer at this point.

5 days ago
6/28/10

Watching Andersons snap in half traumatized him. He's scared to throw them now.

5 days ago
10/6/02
BrckNoHitBk - 

Watching Andersons snap in half traumatized him. He's scared to throw them now.

Must be something mental like that.
5 days ago
4/25/11

No. It's like a stupid trend...  "I know I can kick, I need to showcase my newly refined punching!" That's stupid I'm. It's like Ortega boxing Hollaway instead of using his specialty skill.This is why Askren and Kron will be successful in the UFC. They get it. I hope. 

5 days ago
7/10/09

Pretty much stopped after he broke his foot on TKZ.

5 days ago
8/20/03

5 days ago
8/20/03

5 days ago
3/17/14

I was literally yelling the whole fight LEG KICKS. im not sure if he even landed one. he had the most powerful leg kicks. so confused. 

5 days ago
8/10/05
Pederneiras has claimed leg injuries in the past.
4 days ago
1/28/19
knappster -

I was literally yelling the whole fight LEG KICKS. im not sure if he even landed one. he had the most powerful leg kicks. so confused. 

Me too ha, I have been ever since the McG KO.

As mentioned above, it could be stubbornness to show off a new skill rather than use old faithful but it seems in recent years, leg kicks are much more prominent whereas Aldo has gone the opposite way. Sad when his were so effective.

4 days ago
8/22/14

I was thinking the same thing. 

Just as suppressing was the lack of punches he threw.

It seems like he is only comfortable at the one range where he can counter stike and was extremely reluctant to engage at any other range.

The only thing i can put that down to is that's the place he uses the least amount of energy and wanted the fight to place there. Essentially he couldn't find his spots  to throw because his opponent was for the most part all the way in or all the way out.

4 days ago
12/25/12
ChibukuSmokeSmoke -

This has more than likely already been discussed at length but I can’t see a thread on it so starting one now.

Aldo’s infamous leg kicks, what’s happened to them? Where have they gone? They were and still should be one of his greatest weapons but I’ve not seen him utilise them in his last 5 or more fights, not to the extent he did in the past (Faber).

Has he injured his legs in the past or were opponents getting wise and catching them?

Cracking shins don't feel good bra.

3 days ago
10/9/10
bungee up -

I was thinking the same thing. 

Just as suppressing was the lack of punches he threw.

It seems like he is only comfortable at the one range where he can counter stike and was extremely reluctant to engage at any other range.

The only thing i can put that down to is that's the place he uses the least amount of energy and wanted the fight to place there. Essentially he couldn't find his spots  to throw because his opponent was for the most part all the way in or all the way out.

This. 

It’s the equivalent of jacking up threes all the time in basketball instead of being aggressive and making plays/penetrating. I’m only 31 which isn’t even old and I’m already guilty of this lazy behavior. 

He knows he has good boxing, he knows he has power, and he was coming off two straight wins using his boxing. Combine that with the fact that leg kicks use up more energy where you use your hips and core more, and that Volkanovski was countering everything he did so he didn’t know what to do. 

Leg kicks would have helped him in that fight, but idk if his corner called for it. 

3 days ago
1/1/01

Its 100% an injury thing. Heard this from people with first hand knowledge of Nova Uniao. 

Broke his foot badly against zombie and has basically had nothing but trouble since then. 

Edited: 3 days ago
7/24/16
Captain Canuck -

Those leg kicks he landed on Faber were some of the sickest ever. They sounded like gunshots.

3 days ago
1/28/19

Hmmmm so he might have Mobility Scooter sponsorship cheques to look forward to retirement :/

3 days ago
7/7/10

Ever since he was knocked out cold he’s been a shell of what he was 

3 days ago
8/15/11
N5Z -

Pretty much stopped after he broke his foot on TKZ.

This is what i feel is the correct answer but few seem to have noticed.