UnderGround Forums An annoyance with gyms or seminars.

5/15/19 11:44 AM
3/17/14
I have been seeing this more and more and it's pretty annoying.

I'm annoyed at when you go to a gym, you are forced to buy their gear or they get all pissed about it. I'm not going to name names as that's being a dick but we may know these gyms.

Worst is when I see them doing some seminars and everyone is required to be geared up a certain way. Like look, I go to this gym. Youre here to do a seminar and then you are leaving. I most likely will not see you again in a long time or if ever. I paid for your seminar and now I got to buy your merch to or your pissed? That's BS. This is my gear, its what I want, its what I have already broken in. I got to buy some cheap non broken in gloves because you want me to look a certain way? Nah my man.

Now I totally understand if you go to this gym and are competing, it would be nice for the gym to get its name out there. Like a gi or a gi patch. In that case provide the gear for your athlete. Most of the time that happens. No biggie. But if you are forced to buy a whole other gi because it's not from their Gym then its BS but I doubt it would go down like that. I'm mainly talking seminars here.
5/15/19 11:45 AM
3/17/14
I will say I have been to alot of MT gyms and seminars and I have never seen an instructor tell me I have to look a certain way or buy their stuff.

Those old MT guys dont give a shit. Its mainly the American MT-BJJ-MMA guys who do this from what I seen.
5/15/19 12:03 PM
6/27/18

The old Muay Thai guys don't give a shit because they are okay with being broke.

The reason modern gyms do this is because they want to make money.

I understand your complaint, I feel the same way.

But we live in a capitalist world. You gotta deal with it. More and more gyms are doing this because it has been proven to improve profit, period.

If you feel that strongly about it, you can always vote with your dollar and walk out the door.

5/15/19 12:04 PM
8/19/03

Agreed.  I've seen this type of silly shit in BJJ.

"White gi's only with no patches".

Like, is there a legitimate reason behind this?  Reminds me of some TMA mall karate bullshit.

Edited: 5/15/19 12:35 PM
6/27/18
WaltJ -

Like, is there a legitimate reason behind this?  Reminds me of some TMA mall karate bullshit.

Yeah. It has really become standard over the past six years or so. I remember when people could wear any gear they wanted. But now Rickson himself has a white-gi-only policy.

The reasoning is that a uniform policy instills better discipline and team spirit. Supposedly, if someone isn't willing to commit to the gym's uniform, it shows he probably won't commit to the gym's other rules and won't be a good training partner.

But I'm old, all my gear was bought long before this became the prevalent thinking. I'll be damned if I have to throw out my stuff and buy new stuff just because of a policy change. My association has been floating these new rules but I don't give a fuck. Thankfully, I have enough seniority where they don't push it because they want to keep me in the fold. Still, I get the side eye sometimes and comments on social media. Whatever.

Edited: 5/15/19 12:36 PM
8/19/03

I could even somewhat understand if it's a policy of the school you're a part of (although I still think it's silly and don't agree with it....but it's their school), but having to buy or furnish certain types of gear that you already own for a one-time seminar is a little ridiculous. 

It makes literally no difference if the Muay Thai gloves you're wearing are red or blue, or if the board shorts you have are green instead of white.  

Like I said,  it's their school/seminar,  its their call, but it's pretty stupid.  The idea that somehow not having a standardized uniform breeds lesser-committed students is idiotic,  and lends to the  old TMA cult worship bullshit.

How long before instructors start throwing their students with the chi?

5/15/19 12:41 PM
11/17/10
BRUTELLYDUMBFOOTBALLHACK - I will say I have been to alot of MT gyms and seminars and I have never seen an instructor tell me I have to look a certain way or buy their stuff.

Those old MT guys dont give a shit. Its mainly the American MT-BJJ-MMA guys who do this from what I seen.

yup

the only thing my MT instructors told us to do when visiting other gyms is, if we wear our team shorts, to wear them inside out as a sign of respect to the guest gym

5/15/19 2:43 PM
3/17/14
WaltJ - 

I would be willing to be ok with that if that was only it. If I'm starting a new gym and I already have thr Gi then there is no problem at all.

What I'm seeing is them saying something like "yeah, you already have a gi but it's not one you got from me. You have to wear my gyms gi".
5/15/19 3:05 PM
6/27/18
BRUTELLYDUMBFOOTBALLHACK -
WaltJ - 

I would be willing to be ok with that if that was only it. If I'm starting a new gym and I already have thr Gi then there is no problem at all.

What I'm seeing is them saying something like "yeah, you already have a gi but it's not one you got from me. You have to wear my gyms gi".

Yep. Some associations go so far as to say you can only wear their branded gear for no-gi too.

5/15/19 3:37 PM
5/15/09

A lot of white gi only schools have white mats that they dont want to clean dye out of. I've cleaned dye out of mats before, and it really, really sucks. Before you say they shouldn't have white mats, I think an owner's perogative over the aesthetic of their life and vision takes priority over the color clothes you want to wrestle in.

Other gyms, like AOJ, have instituted uniform policies for some pretty specific reasons, like crowd control and policing who trains there, and it is successful.

Finally, Jiu Jitsu is becoming increasingly profressional and branding is important for a lot of new gyms, especially the AOJ clones. Uniform policies instituted from the beginning are easy to maintain and help them manage their own aesthetic.

It really isnt a big deal I dont think

5/15/19 6:51 PM
3/17/14
kennyfrommd - 

A lot of white gi only schools have white mats that they dont want to clean dye out of. I've cleaned dye out of mats before, and it really, really sucks. Before you say they shouldn't have white mats, I think an owner's perogative over the aesthetic of their life and vision takes priority over the color clothes you want to wrestle in.

Other gyms, like AOJ, have instituted uniform policies for some pretty specific reasons, like crowd control and policing who trains there, and it is successful.

Finally, Jiu Jitsu is becoming increasingly profressional and branding is important for a lot of new gyms, especially the AOJ clones. Uniform policies instituted from the beginning are easy to maintain and help them manage their own aesthetic.

Yeah I already commented on that kinda. A uniform to match stuff is fine. It's the "no, you have to buy MY gyms stuff". That I'm talking about.

If a gym says you need a white gi then that's cool. But if you have a white gi that is already yours and it's broken in just how you like it, its BS when the gym owner says you have to buy a gi from his gym or buy his patch.
5/16/19 4:38 AM
10/6/02

Look up the word greed

5/16/19 5:13 AM
8/2/11

Something I never quite got my head around- my old gym basically made it mandatory for us no matter what age- I was a 19 yr old university student; contribute money towards air fares and accommodation for our trainer to bring his mate from Brazil to train with us. 

The guy was a high level black belt and cool guy. Trained with us a lot and did seminars, taught private’s etc all at additional cost. 

I just never quite understood if it was all worth it or it was more of the weird Brazilian dogma that you get in bjj

5/16/19 12:19 PM
10/8/08
i dont get it either ...most bjj clubs now require you to wear their gi and brand that the club owner signed a big sponsorship. Now the club owner sponsorship with the gi company has expired and has signed another deal with another gi company. is now pushing students to purchase from the new gi company.
5/16/19 1:49 PM
1/1/01
TequilaYuen - 
BRUTELLYDUMBFOOTBALLHACK -
WaltJ - 

Yep. Some associations go so far as to say you can only wear their branded gear for no-gi too.

I know I'm a lone nut on this one, but I like everyone wearing the same or similar looking gear. One of the browns in my school wears a black top with ripped blue pants from time to time. It looks tacky as hell and makes the gym look dodgy, IMO. He drives a brand new sports car so he can afford whatever is asked of us. I don't mind being asked to conform on this one.
5/16/19 2:00 PM
8/20/03

These days you really have to max our your income streams it seems to make the business work.

5/16/19 3:08 PM
5/15/09
RocknRolla - i dont get it either ...most bjj clubs now require you to wear their gi and brand that the club owner signed a big sponsorship. Now the club owner sponsorship with the gi company has expired and has signed another deal with another gi company. is now pushing students to purchase from the new gi company.

Youre inventing problems. MOST clubs now require this? Absolutely not. Very, very few if any would have this situation happen.

5/17/19 9:52 AM
11/2/14

I’m working at a UFC gym right now and their new no gi class is requiring everyone to buy colored rash guards representing your no gi “belt” level. Opening classes were packed and awesome. They started enforcing the rule and there is literally 3 people signed up for class this morning. I told them right away it was bullshit but I guess money is more important than happy customers or building a team. I can’t even go to class without one and I work there. 10/10 agree with op. 

5/17/19 1:57 PM
3/17/14
papajaypattie - 

I’m working at a UFC gym right now and their new no gi class is requiring everyone to buy colored rash guards representing your no gi “belt” level. Opening classes were packed and awesome. They started enforcing the rule and there is literally 3 people signed up for class this morning. I told them right away it was bullshit but I guess money is more important than happy customers or building a team. I can’t even go to class without one and I work there. 10/10 agree with op. 

Yep. And there is a far better way to handle that.

If the gym wants to do that then fine. I think it's kinda dumb needing to know ranks like that but whatever.

If its gotta be that way then let the students provide their own shirt/rashgaurd. Dont force them to buy yours just so you can get that buck.

There is a certain someone who does this who's a big name in MMA I'm told. Now as I said, I'm not going to name names as hes very well known and I'm sure some of his students go her but he does the same shirt meaning rank thing and you have to have it. Now I didnt ask if you have to buy his shift with his logo on it or not but I know he does that with his other gear.
5/18/19 6:06 AM
2/20/09

I’m so thankful for my gym.

We wear whatever we want.  It’s got to be clean and serviceable, that’s it.

Shit, our no-gi days are called “superhero” days because we almost compete to be outlandish.

Last week I wore women’s yoga pants that were bright pink with flowers on them.

Once a week or so I wear a brown gi with 60 patches all over it to a class I TEACH.

What’s important is the culture and atmosphere we cultivate and, in my opinion, looking like drones isn’t the best way to do that.

5/18/19 7:28 AM
8/13/09

Alternative thread title “An annoyance with Gracie Barra”

5/18/19 8:32 AM
1/1/01

Nothing is more dumb than the black belts who want you to sign your life away to get one

5/19/19 10:42 AM
8/19/03
kennyfrommd -

Interesting comment about the dye getting into the mat.  I never really considered that.  At least that's a legitimate reason. 

5/19/19 12:17 PM
3/6/07
donkypunch55 -

I’m so thankful for my gym.

We wear whatever we want.  It’s got to be clean and serviceable, that’s it.

Shit, our no-gi days are called “superhero” days because we almost compete to be outlandish.

Last week I wore women’s yoga pants that were bright pink with flowers on them.

Once a week or so I wear a brown gi with 60 patches all over it to a class I TEACH.

What’s important is the culture and atmosphere we cultivate and, in my opinion, looking like drones isn’t the best way to do that.

You just made the case of why schools need a uniform policy. 

Heres a thought: what if the school owner spends thousands of dollars creating a pro shop and no one buys the inventory because they buy shit online. ?

5/19/19 12:19 PM
1/12/05

Rickson by armbar