UnderGround Forums Any 1st time challenger more deserving than Tony?

9/8/19 7:32 PM
2/17/03
Tony has to be the most deserving first time title challenger ever, right? (For the sake of this thread, UFC and PRIDE).

Cormier comes to mind, but his biggest accomplishments were outside of 205. Then, there were some of the PRIDE cross-overs to the UFC, but none of them were on Tony's level of run.

Tony has 12 straight wins. His hit list include:

-Cowboy
-Pettis
-Lee
-RDA
-Edson
-Abel
-Thompson

He has beat two top contenders SINCE EARNING AN INTERIM TITLE.

I can't imagine anyone else is close. Am I missing someone?
9/9/19 7:29 AM
2/17/03
Romero is probably on the list. Before getting his first shot at Knuckles, he beat Weidman, Brunson, Machida, Tavares, Kennedy, and Jacare. That's a hell of a list.

But, I don't think it competes with Tony's streak and his winning two fights after securing an interim title.
9/9/19 7:41 AM
1/1/01

Tony-Khabib is the best fight in MMA

9/9/19 7:46 AM
2/17/03
Winston Wolf - 

Tony-Khabib is the best fight in MMA

No doubt about it.

It will also be on the short list of highest level title fights ever--at least on paper. DC v. Jones. Fedor v. Cro Cop. Cruz v. TJ. Not too many others compete.
9/9/19 11:58 AM
2/1/08

Fitch.

He had to completely clean out WW before they gave him a shot.

9/9/19 12:44 PM
7/7/10

Didn’t Khabib vs tony get made and someone pulled out 

9/9/19 12:57 PM
1/1/01
Stea1th - 

No, you must be thinking of a different match up. These guys have never been scheduled to fight each other.

9/9/19 1:12 PM
1/1/01
dennisv -
Stea1th - 

No, you must be thinking of a different match up. These guys have never been scheduled to fight each other.

yes they have 2x

9/9/19 1:40 PM
10/20/16
Winston Wolf -
dennisv -
Stea1th - 

yes they have 2x

He was being sarcastic. It’s actually 4x

9/9/19 2:24 PM
2/17/03
notsobigmike - 

Fitch.

Good one.

I'd say that his wins list was not nearly as good. But context matters: the UFC absolutely did not want him fighting for a belt, but he just kept on freaking winning.
9/9/19 2:27 PM
1/23/06
I've considered him a Champion since he was crowned Champ and hasn't lost since while beating Pettis and Cowboy both by TKO.

9 stoppages during this 12 fight win streak.
9/9/19 2:35 PM
1/23/06
wiggum - 
notsobigmike - 

Fitch.

Good one.

I'd say that his wins list was not nearly as good. But context matters: the UFC absolutely did not want him fighting for a belt, but he just kept on freaking winning.

The talent pool wasn't as developed back then.
9/9/19 2:46 PM
2/17/03
CRE - 
wiggum - 
notsobigmike - 

Fitch.

Good one.

100%.

But the similarity is that both guys effectively cleared out a division before getting their first shots.
9/9/19 3:09 PM
7/7/10
dennisv -
Stea1th - 

“The highly anticipated interim lightweight title fight between Khabib Nurmagomedov and Tony Ferguson, scheduled for UFC 209, has been cancelled. Nurmagomedov was taken to the hospital after falling ill during his weight cut, and was not present at the official weigh-ins on Friday morning”

if you were being sarcastic than lol 

9/9/19 3:12 PM
7/7/10

So I’m a retarded that fucking fight as been scheduled 4 times already lmaooo

9/9/19 4:21 PM
2/1/08
wiggum -
CRE - 
wiggum - 
notsobigmike - 

Fitch.

Good one.

100%.

But the similarity is that both guys effectively cleared out a division before getting their first shots.

And you can debate talent yesterday vs talent today - but he beat everyone who was anyone at the time.  You can't fight guys from the future. 

If there was a parallel universe where GSP didn't exist, Fitch would BE the GSP of his era.