UnderGround Forums Ashlee Evans-Smith recounts chaotic cancellation

18 days ago
1/1/01

UFC women's flyweight Ashlee Evans-Smith flew to London to fight Molly McCann, was told the event was canceled, and then that it might be moved, and then that is was indeed canceled. She recently joined the The A-Side Live Chat talks bout the experience.

“I haven’t heard anything from the UFC, and the UFC as much money as they have, they’re not giving out money left and right for nothing,” said Evans-Smith, as transcribed by Alexander K. Lee for MMA Fighting. “I know the [Bellator 241] fighters that got compensated, they weighed in and I’m just really hoping that the UFC doesn’t do some trickery and say, ‘Oh, well you didn’t make weight or you didn’t weigh in.’ I’m not saying they’re gonna do that, but I’m also not gonna get my hopes up.

“I think we deserve that money to say the least. I, personally, was going to go over there and risk my personal health. I was willing to risk getting quarantined to fight, to perform, to do my job for them. So I really hope that they compensate us.”

While in transit back to the USA, Evans-Smith streamed an Instagram story for her fans, and that's how McCann learned the event was off.

“This is kind of sad, but I was driving to the airport and I see my opponent has posted a video and someone tagged me, and she was saying that she just watched my story on Instagram and that’s how she found out,” said Evans-Smith. “So the UFC didn’t even contact her, so I thought it would be nice of me to contact my opponent and say, ‘Look, I hear you don’t know anything. I’m gonna tell you what I know. That’s the least I can do. I think you deserve to know what I know.’ And she was like, ‘Thanks, mate.’

“She’s a cool girl. We talk back and forth about how crappy this is. We both still want to fight each other. It’s sportsmanship. We will fight someday, but in the meantime let’s get healthy and safe and get paid for the work that we put in so far.”

Smith learned about a possible relocation when she was at the airport readying to fly home.

“I’m on the flight, I’m literally about to take off and my manager is like, ‘Just stay ready,’” said Evans-Smith. “And I’m like, ‘Ready like don’t eat?’ He’s like, ‘Yeah, they might reschedule the fight in California.’

“Are you serious? I’m already eating and he’s like, ‘We might do a catchweight. So just don’t worry, don’t stress.’ I’m like, that’s like saying f***ng don’t breathe right now. Don’t stress? Don’t stress? You don’t know where I’m gonna fight, where I’m gonna fight, maybe I fight Saturday. So yeah there was talk, but it was so ridiculous. We didn’t know if the world was shutting down.”

“It was a roller coaster of emotions because going over there I didn’t know what to expect. I didn’t know if I was going to fight. I didn’t know if I was going to get quarantined. Still cutting weight—and I’m a big girl for 125—I’m hangry at this point, like, ‘What the hell is going on in the world?’ I was on the plane crying because, I don’t know, I’m a girl, I’m emotional. I love my sport. I wanted to compete. I need to make money, put food on the table, all that.

“But now it’s like, take a breath, and I realize this whole thing is so much bigger than me and my fight in the sport. Worldwide, people are dying. Yeah, I was upset at the time, but I’m just trying to be grateful that I’m healthy, no one I know is sick, knock on wood.”

18 days ago
10/19/19

18 days ago
8/5/17

Ay I’m just a bayou boy my option ain’t much matter. I know. But ain’t most pro stuffs calling them self a sport, in the mainstream.. don’t the athletes get paid for practice? What’s a camp for in MMA? My bad if I’m outta line. I’m sure someone will fix me. I just think they should get something either way. If they did the work in preparation for the fight or game. 

let it be little. Whatever. They practiced for your event.

18 days ago
10/22/14
RedGone -

Ay I’m just a bayou boy my option ain’t much matter. I know. But ain’t most pro stuffs calling them self a sport, in the mainstream.. don’t the athletes get paid for practice? What’s a camp for in MMA? My bad if I’m outta line. I’m sure someone will fix me. I just think they should get something either way. If they did the work in preparation for the fight or game. 

let it be little. Whatever. They practiced for your event.

It's a combat sport. Closest thing would be boxing. They don't get paid to train either.

I do think in this particular case the ufc should do the right thing and try to rebook them somewhere as soon as possible with no crowd and try to contain the risk the best they can, if that isn't possible then they should pay the fighters who are scheduled to fight and just take the loss. 

18 days ago
11/8/08

In team sports practice is provided by the organization which is why it's free. Nobody gets paid for practice in tennis, golf, nascar, gymnastics, track and field, etc even if an event is cancelled. 

Hypothetical question. If the ufc starts compensating fighters then should someone who admits to not doing a camp get paid the same as someone who spent money on their training for the fight?

18 days ago
8/19/03

I hate to be "that" guy, but it's called "win" and "show" money for a reason.  You get paid to show up, to win, or both.   That's their contracts.

Objectivity out of the way,  I feel terrible for her and every other fighter that had to deal with this.  It can certainly be argued that the system is broken and that the UFC holds all the cards (they do), so as much as I hate to say it, people thinking about getting into this sport really need to think twice, or at least have a back up plan.

Ashlee Evans-Smith is a tough girl, but realistically,  she's 32 years old and 6-4.  There's nothing in MMA for her.  I respect everything she does as a fighter, but she herself basically just outlined the reason why getting into this sport and signing these contracts doesn't make any sense for 99.9% of the athletes. 

It's a shitty situation all-around, but UFC has the Vince McMahon WWE model on lock and can essentially do whatever they want.  They're a business, not a charity. 

18 days ago
9/22/16
WaltJ - 

I hate to be "that" guy, but it's called "win" and "show" money for a reason.  You get paid to show up, to win, or both.   That's their contracts.

Objectivity out of the way,  I feel terrible for her and every other fighter that had to deal with this.  It can certainly be argued that the system is broken and that the UFC holds all the cards (they do), so as much as I hate to say it, people thinking about getting into this sport really need to think twice, or at least have a back up plan.

Ashlee Evans-Smith is a tough girl, but realistically,  she's 32 years old and 6-4.  There's nothing in MMA for her.  I respect everything she does as a fighter, but she herself basically just outlined the reason why getting into this sport and signing these contracts doesn't make any sense for 99.9% of the athletes. 

It's a shitty situation all-around, but UFC has the Vince McMahon WWE model on lock and can essentially do whatever they want.  They're a business, not a charity. 

The fighters showed up.
Edited: 18 days ago
8/19/03
AnthonyWeiner -
WaltJ - 

The fighters showed up.

To what?

Was there a fight?

As shitty as it is, UFC most likely has some Act of God stipulation in the language of their contracts.

Again, I'm not taking their side, it's a shitty system, at best.

18 days ago
11/20/08

Bellator is really looking good right now, this certainly raises their stock

8/19/03
steak and chicken -

Bellator is really looking good right now, this certainly raises their stock

Agreed.   Fighters don't fight every day.  Having a fight canceled and the potential for an additional layoff depending on scheduling could cost them 25% of their annual fight pay (assuming they fight 4x a year).  If I'm an Ashlee Evans-Smith right now, if I'm not altogether considering getting out of the sport, I'm thinking of options for when my UFC contract expires.

Stuff like this definitely pushes Bellator up the list.  The reality is, the UFC may be the pinnacle of the sport, but not everyone is a Conor McGregor or a Ronda Rousey. 90% of the fighters are Evans-Smith's, who these things cause real hardship for.

18 days ago
2/24/11
WaltJ -
AnthonyWeiner -
WaltJ - 

The fighters showed up.

To what?

Was there a fight?

As shitty as it is, UFC most likely has some Act of God stipulation in the language of their contracts.

Again, I'm not taking their side, it's a shitty system, at best.

The "Act of God" phrasing is so dumb. 

Can you imagine having a superior being monitoring us and punishing us randomly like a sadistic maniac! That’s not the kind of god I would want to worship. 

That arsehole wants us to grovel at his feet, keep praising him (despite all the BS happening in the world) just so we can get a treat for him?

Well good sir, you can keep your fucking treat.

Say what? You won't even let me die in peace now? I've just spent a horrible 80 years on this shitty planet and now you are going to wake me up from the sweet relief of death so I can suffer for an eternity??? Do you realise how much an eternity is compared to 80 years? That guy is an arsehole. 

11/8/08

I'm willing to donate to Ashlee if she starts up an onlyfans page. 

11 days ago
2/2/20

https://www.reddit.com/r/MMA/comments/fp38g1/the_story_about_ashlee_evanssmith_and_her/

11 days ago
8/3/11

11 days ago
11/20/08
JoeHurley -

Dont worry bruh, she is making bank selling medical supplies 

11 days ago
1/1/01

UFC employees really not giving a shit how they make their company look lately... Jones about todotime,and this fun little case of walking Hep C, stealing emergency medical donations during these times...Terrible look for the Superbowl of MMA

11 days ago
11/8/08
steak and chicken -
JoeHurley -

Dont worry bruh, she is making bank selling medical supplies 

I was kind of hoping for the opposite. I'd rather she sell nudes than steal.