UnderGround Forums Audio of Dustin's corner btw rounds

8 days ago
6/8/10
ranier wolfcastle -

i remember them sayin "u gotta get after this guy, show me some effort, hes got nothin on u"

i was waiting for specific technical advice

That seems to be the extent of Mma corner advice, very rarely do you hear actual instruction. I've helped corner amy fighters from the gym I trained at for years and while some of the guys could kick my ass you can see openings or things their opponent may be doing that is hard to recognize when you are in the fight. It's crazy but I've seen much better cornering at times in those small local shows them in some top 10 fighters corner. 

8 days ago
8/3/11
Ghost of Retard -
Lucas Maximus -

i hate when they start rattling off with 1000 different things to do

Me as well. I sometimes wonder if they get excited or nervous about being watched by millions. 

I love listening to Greg Jackson corner.

He gets his guy to calm down,  slow his heartrate,  and recover as much as possible. 

He then very calmly gives 1 or 2 instructions, a little positive reinforcement, a little water and they are ready for the next round.  

What is especially impressive about Jackson is that he turns into Russian when cornering Khabilov (and into a gay when cornering Cerrone)

8 days ago
5/15/15
leifdawg -
Awarnica -

Did they not bring in wrestlers for his camp? Is Khabib the best wrestler on the planet? I’d assume no - so it starts earlier than the fight. 

He needed to be beat up wrestling for 5 months before this fight, every day, by better wrestlers - and learning how to counter (or try to counter) everything Khabib did. Then in the corner they should have been reinforcing all of what he had been doing in drills in camp, for months. 

Why do people think you can train a dicipline for a couple of months and beat someone who has been training their whole life.

Not to mention Khabib is naturally bigger and has a lifetime worth's of elite grappling strength.

Lesnar on TUF with the whizzer, it's the only time I can rememeber thinking, he has a legit idea which you could learn in the short term.. 

7 days ago
8/3/11

Poirier really lacked that Greg Jackson advice

7 days ago
2/17/03
Ghost of Retard - 
Lucas Maximus -

Me as well. I sometimes wonder if they get excited or nervous about being watched by millions. 

He gets his guy to calm down,  slow his heartrate,  and recover as much as possible. 

He then very calmly gives 1 or 2 instructions, a little positive reinforcement, a little water and they are ready for the next round.  

Agreed.

Also, different fighters need different things at different times. Sometimes, motivation is appropriate. Sometimes, calmness is needed. Sometimes people can just absorb technical instructions.

Somehow, Frankie Edgar thrives off being screamed at by Ricardo and Mark Henry, both shouting different things at the same time.
7 days ago
6/17/16
jetsteragain - I was sad to hear him say "there's no space out there"

he said it twice in desperation, he looked confounded like shit between the 1st and 2nd....I knew it was over then

Siiiiii senior

7 days ago
6/17/16
touch -

Poirier really lacked that Greg Jackson advice

He's a technical wizard, bro. Master of machiavellian mind manipulation, bro.

7 days ago
1/15/07
wrongaboutVitali -
touch - 

"I can't get that motherfucker off me"

I caught that too. Although I thought it was: "I can't fucking get him off me." :)

Yeah, Khabib broke him mentally. 

7 days ago
1/15/07
touch -
Ghost of Retard -
Lucas Maximus -

What is especially impressive about Jackson is that he turns into Russian when cornering Khabilov (and into a gay when cornering Cerrone)

LOL

7 days ago
1/1/01

The biggest flaw in Porier's strategy, imo, was his footwork. But to be fair, that was the glaring hole that I'm certain AKA recognized early. Dustin has a horrible habit of circling or backing into the cage. That alone puts you at a huge risk against the best cage wrestler in the business.

Another drawback to Dustin's style is that he likes to chain long punching attacks that often require him to keep his feet planted and staying stationary. That's fine when his power is enough to make guys give ground (Holloway) but against a durable pressure grappler like Khabib it'll leave you vulnerable to reactive level changes.

The best advice Brown or anyone else could have given him would have been to hold center cage at all costs and focus on lateral movement/circling.

7 days ago
8/3/11
BuckeyeMMA -

The biggest flaw in Porier's strategy, imo, was his footwork. But to be fair, that was the glaring hole that I'm certain AKA recognized early. Dustin has a horrible habit of circling or backing into the cage. That alone puts you at a huge risk against the best cage wrestler in the business.

Another drawback to Dustin's style is that he likes to chain long punching attacks that often require him to keep his feet planted and staying stationary. That's fine when his power is enough to make guys give ground (Holloway) but against a durable pressure grappler like Khabib it'll leave you vulnerable to reactive level changes.

The best advice Brown or anyone else could have given him would have been to hold center cage at all costs and focus on lateral movement/circling.

I like this breakdown. What strategy would you suggest for Tony against Khabib, same?

7 days ago
2/17/03
BuckeyeMMA - 

Good post.

Brown actually said that if he could change anything in his coaching, that would be it. The sole focus would be to not leave the center of the cage, no matter what happens and no matter what it take.s

7 days ago
1/1/01
BuckeyeMMA -

*me watching fight*

”He’ll be ok for a bit, long as he stays the fuck away from the cag-awwwwwww nvm.”

7 days ago
2/17/03
multiculturaljoseph - 
BuckeyeMMA -

*me watching fight*

”He’ll be ok for a bit, long as he stays the fuck away from the cag-awwwwwww nvm.”

LOL.
6 days ago
5/16/16
stringtheory -

MMA cornering is so far behind boxing it is crazy. Some off the highest level fighters in the world and you hear their corners giving absolutely no technical advice at all it’s shocking. 

One of his corner men is a boxing coach 

6 days ago
11/1/03

Most corners seem pretty good to me. Kabib just had too much for Porier that night. lf anything Porier didnt seem to understand how good Kabibs grappleing was. Wideman would have been a good guy to train with as prep for this fight but as someone said you cant close that big a gap in a few months or maybe ever.

6 days ago
7/28/02

jiu jitsu is the answer

not even necessarily bjj

but i think youre not going to stop the takedown

so practice being in a good position on your back

think mo smith or bas rutten strategy

jiu jitsu = "J?" can be translated to mean "gentle, soft, supple, flexible, pliable, or yielding". "Jutsu" can be translated to mean "art" or "technique" and represents manipulating the opponent's force against themselves rather than confronting it with one's own force.[1] Jujutsu developed to combat the samurai of feudal Japan as a method for defeating an armed and armored opponent in which one uses no weapon, or only a short weapon.

6 days ago
7/28/02

people who don'y know, think mma is a formula

but its actually an art

6 days ago
7/28/02

6 days ago
9/22/16
I'm surprised guys like Serra aren't being hired as cornermen.
6 days ago
7/28/02

rare is the fighter that can also coach

6 days ago
8/4/07

As I recall, I believe the Serra-Longo combination give pretty good technical advice during and in between rounds.