Roy Harris BJJ and sticky hands?

Edited: 2/14/07 12:00 AM
06/27/2002
Sorry for the weird title. :) I dont have any personal experience with JKD, WC or other martial arts who use trapping or sticky hands techniques in their standup. But what I have seen of it made me think that it could be useful for defending against strikes if you have someone in your guard. Since you're experienced in both JKD and BJJ, I figured you would be the perfect person to ask about this. Do you think for example wing chun trapping can be useful in a groundfighting scenario? I realise of course that for it to be effective in that setting, you'd have to actually practice it on the ground, as things like footwork would be out of the window.
01/01/2001
Oh, only my FAVORITE subject!! And YES, Roy is the perfect person to answer this question. Can't wait for the response. :)
01/01/2001
Einar, What an interesting nickname! Are you Scandanavian? Are you a warrior? This is a very interesting question you have posed. And I have an interesting answer for you (and for those of you reading that are curious about the whole trapping/grappling thang). However, I have to go teach right now. I will get back to you later on this evening. Roy Harris
06/27/2002
Hi, mr Harris. Yes, I'm Norwegian, and Einar is my real first name. Not a warrior other than in name, really. ;) I used to train at Per Christians club in Trondheim but never caught any of your seminars, unfortunately.
Edited: 2/24/07 12:00 AM
06/27/2002
ttt
01/01/2001
Einar,

Sticky hands training does help in BJJ training. How? Here's how:

1. When a student first learns trapping movements, that's all they are - Movements.
2. When a student first learns a trapping drill, it is actually NOT a trapping drill, but a coordination drill.
3. After spending a considerable amount of time within the confines of the coordination drill, the student's awareness level progresses to the point where they can begin to recognize certain movements right before they happen. Now the drill has become an awareness building drill.
4. Once the student has developed their awareness to a very high level, they begin to FEEL intentions in movements. This is where the training gets fun, and this is where the idea of trapping comes into play.

Now, I know there are a lot of JKD people that have given up on the idea of trapping because they say "It doesn't work." However, I have not given up on it because I have discovered some more realistic ways to train it.

While it is true that compound trapping is next to impossible to perform in a mixed martial arts environment, the basic traps can and do work.

Now, here's an interesting thing to note:

Not only have I been able to see and use a limited amount of "trapping" movements in BJJ, but a few of my senior JKD students have seen their use as well.

Additionally, when I was training Sifu Dan Inosanto in BJJ, there were certain times when we would roll that he would see me use a movement from Higot Hubud Lubud or from Chi Sao and verbally tell me, "Hey, that's from Wing Chun", or "Hey, that's from Kali."

So, from my perspective, trapping training can be a great introduction to awareness training and sensitivity training!

Roy Harris

Harris International
03/12/2002
interesting. I use to do tons of Wc and hubud and I always felt that it helped my grappling. Do you also think that the drills, since they require you to relax, help the practioner relax durring roll time?
Edited: 2/25/07 12:00 AM
06/27/2002
Thanks a lot, Mr. Harris.
01/01/2001
JasonKeaton, Yes, over time I believe they can help a student relax at certain ranges, as well as seek out specific distances! Roy Harris
03/12/2002
I would also say that those chi gerk drills I usweed to do helped my guard. Hmmm