UnderGround Forums BWs react to Jose Aldo title shot

2/25/20 10:58 AM
1/1/01

Yesterday it was announced that champ champ Henry Cejudo will defend his bantamweight belt vs. Jose Aldo. It doesn't make sense, but it does make dollars and cents. Professional combat sports are not real sport. You don't get into the Super Bowl because more people will watch your team, but in MMA and in boxing, you can a title shot for that exact reason.

These are the UFC Top 10 contenders for the division:
1. Marlon Moraes
2. Aljamain Sterling
3. Petr Yan
4. Cory Sandhagen
5. Raphael Assuncao
6. Jose Aldo
7. Pedro Munhoz
8. Jimmie Rivera
9. Cody Garbrandt
10. Rob Font

Moraes is, of course, out of immediate title shot contention, as he lost to Cejudo via TKO for the vacant bantamweight belt. Then he bounced back with a Split Decision win, over Aldo.

Sterling is on a four-fight win streak, without losing a round. Yan is 6-0 in the UFC, winning a Fight of the Night and a Performance of the Night in the process. Sandhagen is 5-0 in the UFC.

By contrast, Aldo lost his featherweight title to Max Holloway via TKO in Round 3. And lost the immediate rematch via TKO in Round 3. Aldo bounced back with back to back performance bonus earning wins, but then lost a Unanimous Decision to Alexander Volkanovski, and dropped to 135. In his division debut, he lost a Split Decision, that UFC president Dana White thought he won.

“I think Jose Aldo won the fight,” said White at the UFC 245 post-fight press conference. “Most of the room thought he won. If [CCCC] wants Jose Aldo next, we could do it. I don’t have a problem with it. I’m sure people would want to see it.”

And that's what can decide a title fight - fans want to see it. However, the legitimate title contenders are not impressed.

This raises a legitimate question. Is it fair in MMA that fans can get the title shot they most want to see, which means technically more deserving contenders do not? Or in professional fighting, it is incumbent on fighters to not just win, but to win in hyper exciting fashion and talk trash?

2/25/20 11:05 AM
6/14/12

Jose should have beat the number 1 contender in moraes making him the viable contender.

Sterling got planked by moraes already. 

Its not ideal, but its not really line cutting either. Aldos paid his dues for a long time. 

How many title shots did urijah get inexplicably? 

Didnt frankie get an immediate shot at aldo as soon as he dropped ? 

Conor ... ?

Etc etc etc

2/25/20 11:11 AM
9/20/19

Edited: 2/25/20 11:52 AM
9/19/13

Aldo getting title shot over Yan proves that UFC is WWE

2/25/20 12:01 PM
1/14/12

I guess it’s all about Aldo being good for business.

2/25/20 12:11 PM
1/11/17

It's been a circus for ages, at least this time a legend like Aldo gets to benefit.

2/25/20 1:05 PM
8/18/13

Not usually for stuff that doesn’t make sense, which in the surface it doesn’t. But Aldo is firstly, a legend of the sport. And secondly, everyone with half a brain knows he won the Moraes fight and the judges fucked it 

2/25/20 1:18 PM
2/15/11
Kirik -

Yesterday it was announced that champ champ Henry Cejudo will defend his bantamweight belt vs. Jose Aldo. It doesn't make sense, but it does make dollars and cents. Professional combat sports are not real sport. You don't get into the Super Bowl because more people will watch your team, but in MMA and in boxing, you can a title shot for that exact reason.

1. Marlon Moraes
2. Aljamain Sterling
3. Petr Yan
4. Cory Sandhagen
5. Raphael Assuncao
6. Jose Aldo
7. Pedro Munhoz
8. Jimmie Rivera
9. Cody Garbrandt
10. Rob Font

Moraes is, of course, out of immediate title shot contention, as he lost to Cejudo via TKO for the vacant bantamweight belt. Then he bounced back with a Split Decision win, over Aldo.

Sterling is on a four-fight win streak, without losing a round. Yan is 6-0 in the UFC, winning a Fight of the Night and a Performance of the Night in the process. Sandhagen is 5-0 in the UFC.

By contrast, Aldo lost his featherweight title to Max Holloway via TKO in Round 3. And lost the immediate rematch via TKO in Round 3. Aldo bounced back with back to back performance bonus earning wins, but then lost a Unanimous Decision to Alexander Volkanovski, and dropped to 135. In his division debut, he lost a Split Decision, that UFC president Dana White thought he won.

“I think Jose Aldo won the fight,” said White at the UFC 245 post-fight press conference. “Most of the room thought he won. If [CCCC] wants Jose Aldo next, we could do it. I don’t have a problem with it. I’m sure people would want to see it.”

And that's what can decide a title fight - fans want to see it. However, the legitimate title contenders are not impressed.

This raises a legitimate question. Is it fair in MMA that fans can get the title shot they most want to see, which means technically more deserving contenders do not? Or in professional fighting, it is incumbent on fighters to not just win, but to win in hyper exciting fashion and talk trash?

WTF is going on with Aldo in the pic?   Looks more like Mike Swick too me...weird.

2/25/20 1:46 PM
1/30/16
ShootProod -
Kirik -

1. Marlon Moraes
2. Aljamain Sterling
3. Petr Yan
4. Cory Sandhagen
5. Raphael Assuncao
6. Jose Aldo
7. Pedro Munhoz
8. Jimmie Rivera
9. Cody Garbrandt
10. Rob Font

WTF is going on with Aldo in the pic?   Looks more like Mike Swick too me...weird.

Quick Mike Aldo?

2/25/20 1:51 PM
2/15/11
danybayamon23 -
ShootProod -
Kirik -

1. Marlon Moraes
2. Aljamain Sterling
3. Petr Yan
4. Cory Sandhagen
5. Raphael Assuncao
6. Jose Aldo
7. Pedro Munhoz
8. Jimmie Rivera
9. Cody Garbrandt
10. Rob Font

Quick Mike Aldo?

nice one.

Jose Quick SwAldo for the win.

2/25/20 2:01 PM
9/13/18

Henry's just looking for pay days and big names for his record. He doesn't want unknowns. While most of the guys within the top five for the division are known by the hardcore fans base, casuals have no clue. 

2/25/20 4:33 PM
3/12/15

What a joke. WME-IMG is a disgrace

2/25/20 4:47 PM
10/27/03
ShootProod - 
Kirik -

1. Marlon Moraes
2. Aljamain Sterling
3. Petr Yan
4. Cory Sandhagen
5. Raphael Assuncao
6. Jose Aldo
7. Pedro Munhoz
8. Jimmie Rivera
9. Cody Garbrandt
10. Rob Font

He's just as surprised as we are by the fight being made.
2/25/20 5:34 PM
8/31/07

Book Sterling vs Yan on the main card, Sandhagen v Moraes as well, standout performance of the 2 winners gets next shot, the other on deck.

2/25/20 6:33 PM
12/29/10

Aldo will beat cajudo. 

2/25/20 6:44 PM
7/8/06
oranos -

Aldo getting title shot over Yan proves that UFC is WWE

Yan has business with Garbrant. That’s the wise career move and hopefully that fight gets made.

2/25/20 6:59 PM
11/9/15

Aldos chin has aged in more ways than one.

2/25/20 7:11 PM
4/19/17

The UFC will always put a "name" in a title fight against the champ if they can. Once Cody, TJ, and Dom get back in the mix we won't have to hear about these other little no name goofs.

2/25/20 8:50 PM
2/29/16

Aldo beat Moraes imo.

2/25/20 9:43 PM
4/8/13

lmao @ ugly communist potato

Edited: 2/25/20 10:05 PM
1/1/01

Does he have 3 chin dimples?

2/25/20 10:06 PM
1/1/01

2/25/20 10:09 PM
10/16/12
Mandible_Claw -

Aldo beat Moraes imo.

2/25/20 10:37 PM
11/19/19

Who gives a shit what other mini fighters think. Cejudo deserves to call his shots. He fought some tough fights to get to this point.

2/26/20 12:00 AM
10/9/10
Connorwinztharematch -

Jose should have beat the number 1 contender in moraes making him the viable contender.

Sterling got planked by moraes already. 

Its not ideal, but its not really line cutting either. Aldos paid his dues for a long time. 

How many title shots did urijah get inexplicably? 

Didnt frankie get an immediate shot at aldo as soon as he dropped ? 

Conor ... ?

Etc etc etc

Moraes wasn’t the number one contender, he was ranked at one because he just lost to the champ. There’s a difference. Besides, Aldo didn’t win the fight. Even if he did, he didn’t look impressive and neither did Moraes. 

Aljo deserves the shot. The fact that he lost to Moraes is irrelevant. He’s on a 4 fight win streak and just beat Rivera and Munhoz back to back. Pedro was ranked inside the top 5 at the time and Rivera was 6 or 7. 

How Yan is even ranked 3rd is beyond me, he beat Rivera who had just lost to Aljo. Then he beat Faber who was recently retired and came back to beat Simon, who wasn’t ranked in the top 10. 

The only thing that makes any sense at all is Aljo vs Yan as a title eliminator, but even then I wouldn’t agree with it. I don’t understand how anyone could argue against giving the shot to the HIGHEST ranked guy in the division.