UnderGround Forums Bas Rutten-How good was he?

12 days ago
9/27/15
Bas Rutten ranks up there with Crocop as being one of the biggest disappointments in terms of their UFC career..lets talk about Rutten though..he was a vicious striker in Pancrase and his grappling was getting much better but in his prime, how good would he have been in the UFC?

Biggest problem I see is he was a rather small heavyweight right? What did he weigh in Pancrase? 215? Could he have made it as a light hvwt? But anyways, in his prime would he have ever be one champion? I'll always see him having huge problems with Couture and Coleman..Rutten/Vitor would have been fun to watch though..Rutten/Tank
12 days ago
9/13/14

UFC Heavyweight champion is a big disappointment???

12 days ago
1/21/14

LOL seriously?

12 days ago
4/27/07

Horrible Theead OP

12 days ago
1/1/01

The only disappointment is that he didn’t fight in the ufc earlier than he did.

Edited: 12 days ago
9/19/13

OP, his weight would have meant nothing at the time of his prime. There was plenty of smaller heavyweights like Arlovski and Couture that were dominating.

12 days ago
6/17/16
Fabes -

The only disappointment is that he didn’t fight in the ufc earlier than he did.

...or his bum knees. If the injuries from old school caveman training hadn't caught up with him he would have been able to stay relevant for much much longer. 

Bas Rutten is one of the best to ever do it.

12 days ago
9/27/15
VFR - 

UFC Heavyweight champion is a big disappointment???

Lmfao he didn't Beat Randelman..terrible decision..plus, he was gifted a standup vs Kohsaka in that fight
12 days ago
8/20/03
ons ear - Bas Rutten ranks up there with Crocop as being one of the biggest disappointments in terms of their UFC career..lets talk about Rutten though..he was a vicious striker in Pancrase and his grappling was getting much better but in his prime, how good would he have been in the UFC?

Biggest problem I see is he was a rather small heavyweight right? What did he weigh in Pancrase? 215? Could he have made it as a light hvwt? But anyways, in his prime would he have ever be one champion? I'll always see him having huge problems with Couture and Coleman..Rutten/Vitor would have been fun to watch though..Rutten/Tank

Voted down.

12 days ago
6/26/06
Wish we got to see him compete more. He had balls to the wall kyokushin spirit and skills and was always game for more. If the timing had been different, and a few things happen differently, Bas would be in contention for all time top ten p4p status.
12 days ago
11/16/08

OP needs a good ol' liver shot.

12 days ago
9/27/15
I No Kung Foo - 

You mean to tell me Ruttens run in the UFC was satisfactory to you? I'm a fan if Rutten just as I am with Crocop but their UFC fights were bad
12 days ago
3/19/04
oranos - 

OP, his weight would have meant nothing at the time of his prime. There was plenty of smaller heavyweights like Arlovski and Couture that were dominating.

Bas is quite a lot smaller than Randy and Andrei.
12 days ago
11/16/08
ons ear -
I No Kung Foo - 

You mean to tell me Ruttens run in the UFC was satisfactory to you? I'm a fan if Rutten just as I am with Crocop but their UFC fights were bad

+ palm strike

12 days ago
11/15/04
Canooke -
oranos - 

This be my estimation even if it was prime Bas

12 days ago
1/1/01
Canooke -
oranos - 

Andrei, yes. Randy, no.

12 days ago
6/16/07

I wonder how many of his pancrase fights were works, his "win " by knee to the liver over Suzuki was definitely a work. 

12 days ago
1/1/01
Nick Diaz still GOAT -

I wonder how many of his pancrase fights were works, his "win " by knee to the liver over Suzuki was definitely a work. 

you don't know what a work is, but it's clear you want to play adolf hitler

mouth breathers like this ran off everyone that made this place interesting

12 days ago
6/16/07
de braco -
Nick Diaz still GOAT -

you don't know what a work is, but it's clear you want to play adolf hitler

mouth breathers like this ran off everyone that made this place interesting

He kneed Minoru in the arm yet he went down like it was a livershot. 

Maybe Bas thought it was real, but Minoru isn't above working a match.

Although I love Minoru so maybe I'm seeing what I want to believe. I'm actually curious as to what Suzuki said about that match. 

12 days ago
1/1/01

you don't even know what a work is but it doesn't stop the stream of semi-conscious gibberish, jist keep riffin man, until you cast aspersions on the wrong person who fix you up some voodu and cave your abnormal head in under the guise good clean fun. Fuckin TUF

12 days ago
1/1/01

12 days ago
1/1/01

Ended his career on a 22 fight unbeaten streak over 11 years. That just doesn’t happen in combat sports / MMA unless the guy dies in a car accident or some shit. 

11 days ago
9/18/09

Bas was a GREAT fighter in his prime and his striking plays in any era including this one. 

11 days ago
5/15/15

Go back and watch his fights... 

Not sure how being a champion could ever class as a disappointing run of form...

11 days ago
10/27/03

He talked about dropping down to LHW to challenge Frank Shamrock.

He could easily make 205, he was 215 without any attempt to to diet or cut water weight.

I think he’d make 195 ok.