UnderGround Forums Bellators New Business Model Explained.

6 days ago
8/17/08

Moving to Thursday Nights = No gate revenue

Moving to CBS SPorts Network = Limited exposure/audience

No gate revenue + limited exposure/audience = inability to monetize  "needle movers"

and thus... sign prospects on the cheap and dont try to retain expensive talent like Mike Chandler.

Back to the old Bjorn Rebney model of low cost content/talent and longevity for something better (how restrictive the contracts are will determine the quality of prospects they can get... thus far not as restrictive as Rebney's slave deals).  

Thursday nights (no gate revenue) + CBS sports network (no audience) = cant monetize premium talent.

This equation could change with viacoms new streaming assets but Bellator couldnt do shit for DAZN (who's been trying to get out of the deal) so I wouldnt hold my breath.

WHY CANT ANOTHER STRIKEFORCE EMERGE?

Because strikeforce emerged during a time where UFC only had around 21 events a year.... which means the market had more demand than UFC was supplying and the talent pool had more supply than UFC could hire/retain.

Today there are more than 40 UFC events a year (plus contender series) more than supplying the markets (fans) demand/appetatite. 

ANd with 40 events a year, there's more than enough room on the roster for the cormiers, rockholds, etc... 

Impossible for another strikeforce to emerge in the current market realities (no real excess demand in the market to supply and no real surpluss of talent). 

Survive as long as you can while hoping for these Market Realities to change.

6 days ago
3/10/11

Well laid out post. Good work.

6 days ago
8/20/03
Bellator is quietly doing it's thing.

I'm enjoying them more and more these days.

Their youTube channel is great!
6 days ago
7/2/09

Still threatened by Bellator after all of these years.  Why so insecure?  Why punch down?

6 days ago
11/12/07
Corey Anderson. Not a cheap young prospect. He's making at least 80/80. Probably a bit more. Jeremy Kennedy signed recently. Former ACB Champ Magomed Magomedov who is the only man to defeat Petr Yan.

I'm not saying they're not also signing prospects but to ignore expensive FA signings like Anderson is misleading. Is Anderson a superstar? No but he's one of the best in the world at his weight class.

They're also signing prospects that are expensive like Khabib's cousin Usman Nurmagomedov. Everyone wanted him- UFC and ONE. He might not even be a "prospect". He's 11-0 and mauling people.

as for Chandler, what more was there do with him from Bellator's side? What more was there to do on Chandler's side? He'd fought everyone. Rematch with Pitbull. That's one fight. That departure made a lot of sense for both parties.

6 days ago
4/11/10

Any news on them changing the bellator name ?

6 days ago
8/20/19

Albert Tumenov should also join Bellator 

6 days ago
4/21/12

I just assume that Bellator's going to focus on the international audience rather than the US market. They get about as much MMA media coverage in the US as LFA does, which is next to nothing. I had no idea until yesterday that they have a card tonight or that Cyborg is in the main event. 

By the way, the main card has some potentially fun fights. Besides Cyborg, Patricky Pitbull and Ricky Bandejas are on the main card and one of my favorite Bellator fighters no one has ever heard of - Mandel Nallo - is finally back in the cage. (He trains at TriStar. 7-1 record, never been to a decision.)

6 days ago
10/3/11

Come on can't put Cormier and Rockbitch on the same level..rockbitch sucks

6 days ago
11/18/10

If Bellator could somehow get Pride rules, then that would get more people watching.

Yes I know it's unlikely to happen but I still hope one day the sport can be fixed and get it's old rules back.

6 days ago
1/1/01
MMALOGIC -

No gate revenue + limited exposure/audience = inability to monetize  "needle movers"

and thus... sign prospects on the cheap and dont try to retain expensive talent like Mike Chandler.

Back to the old Bjorn Rebney model of low cost content/talent and longevity for something better (how restrictive the contracts are will determine the quality of prospects they can get... thus far not as restrictive as Rebney's slave deals).  

Thursday nights (no gate revenue) + CBS sports network (no audience) = cant monetize premium talent.

This equation could change with viacoms new streaming assets but Bellator couldnt do shit for DAZN (who's been trying to get out of the deal) so I wouldnt hold my breath.

Because strikeforce emerged during a time where UFC only had around 21 events a year.... which means the market had more demand than UFC was supplying and the talent pool had more supply than UFC could hire/retain.

Today there are more than 40 UFC events a year (plus contender series) more than supplying the markets (fans) demand/appetatite. 

ANd with 40 events a year, there's more than enough room on the roster for the cormiers, rockholds, etc... 

Impossible for another strikeforce to emerge in the current market realities (no real excess demand in the market to supply and no real surpluss of talent). 

I'm not so sure Thursday nights is their only only gate issue. They never seem to do much of a gate from what I have seen. I've wondered about the US market demand for a while.... PFL signed a bunch of good talent and even offered fast tournaments and there seemed to be ZERO demand from the US audience to watch the product. As soon as they arrived I wondered how in the hell are even hardcore fans going to make time to watch more "big league" MMA after all that UFC and then Bellator are offering fans with their combined 90 shows a year?

Patricio Pibull is a great example of how poorly Bellator has been doing... he has like 20k twitter followers after being an amazing fighter in Bellator for over a decade. If he was in the UFC over this past decade he would have close to a million twitter followers like Machida, Aldo, Vitor etc...

Coker has said their european expansion will continue and they will also expand into Asia, SA etc... lets see what comes of that.

UFC and Bellator are crazy for investing into women's FW... there is no talent pool. Same can be said for PFL and women's LW. Once Cyborg is gone there is nothing there. Meanwhile they avoid creating 165 and 175 and let thousands upon thousands of male fighters stay in just two divisions.

6 days ago
1/1/01

Was listening to a Dana interview he did with Okamoto yesterday and Dana said the Buckley KO has already done like 60 million views. Not sure what platforms were measured to obtain the number but at any rate... Buckley was a Bellator fighter prior to signing with the UFC. I imagine had the same Buckley KO happened in Bellator it would maybe have around one million views at the moment. They just don't have much of a social media following or presence for whatever reason.

Edited: 6 days ago
4/21/12
BJ Penn Forever -
MMALOGIC -

I'm not so sure Thursday nights is their only only gate issue. They never seem to do much of a gate from what I have seen. I've wondered about the US market demand for a while.... PFL signed a bunch of good talent and even offered fast tournaments and there seemed to be ZERO demand from the US audience to watch the product. As soon as they arrived I wondered how in the hell are even hardcore fans going to make time to watch more "big league" MMA after all that UFC and then Bellator are offering fans with their combined 90 shows a year?

Patricio Pibull is a great example of how poorly Bellator has been doing... he has like 20k twitter followers after being an amazing fighter in Bellator for over a decade. If he was in the UFC over this past decade he would have close to a million twitter followers like Machida, Aldo, Vitor etc...

Coker has said their european expansion will continue and they will also expand into Asia, SA etc... lets see what comes of that.

UFC and Bellator are crazy for investing into women's FW... there is no talent pool. Same can be said for PFL and women's LW. Once Cyborg is gone there is nothing there. Meanwhile they avoid creating 165 and 175 and let thousands upon thousands of male fighters stay in just two divisions.

I would take Bellator's gate reports with a grain of salt when it comes to non-US cards, but in states like CA and NY they pay fees to the AC based on gate, so they have no reason to exaggerate the gate in those places. They reported a number of $1 Million+ gates last year, and came close to that at the Mohegan Sun. 

The DAZN deal is probably dead, but they've got various European (and Russian, if you don't count Russia as part of Europe) TV deals, so their live ticket sales probably aren't going to do anything but cover some of the costs of holding shows. 

I honestly have no idea why Viacom persists in keeping Bellator going, but that's because I have no idea how much the broadcast rights generate outside the US. For all I know, they could be operating in the black.

6 days ago
5/5/13

Frank Dux had more audience, than Bellator.

6 days ago
2/18/20

I'm here with one of our fighters preparing for tonight's Bellator show.

I will say this, Bellator is paying on par with UFC as far as prelim fighters are concerned. Not sure where they are generating money but clearly they are not hurting.

Also, tonight's card should be fun.  Not UFC level but not far off some of the most recent UFC cards.

6 days ago
8/20/19
On a SideNote -

I will say this, Bellator is paying on par with UFC as far as prelim fighters are concerned. Not sure where they are generating money but clearly they are not hurting.

Also, tonight's card should be fun.  Not UFC level but not far off some of the most recent UFC cards.

Good luck with your fighters

6 days ago
4/21/12
On a SideNote -

Actually, there are several prelims guys I'm looking forward to seeing: Crutchmer, Gozali, and Edwards (maybe Kimbel, but he seems to be better as a corner man than a fighter). If Gozali doesn't watch it, he'll be Bellator's Ryan Hall soon. No one wants to get subbed in the first round, and that's what Gozali loves doing to opponents.

Good luck to your guy, whoever he is!

6 days ago
2/18/20

Thank you guys.  Much appreciated.

6 days ago
11/5/19
“Bellator is dead. Will be folding soon!!”

- MMALOGIC 2011

- Also MMALOGIC 2013

- Also MMALOGIC 2016

- Also MMALOGIC 2019
6 days ago
1/1/01

I have always disliked multiple sanctioning bodies in boxing, same with MMA. Makes it difficult to see top fighters compete with each other from rival orgs. There are not a ton of guys in bellator I wanna see in UFC, but there are a few.

6 days ago
8/17/08
frontrowbrian - Corey Anderson. Not a cheap young prospect. He's making at least 80/80. Probably a bit more. Jeremy Kennedy signed recently. Former ACB Champ Magomed Magomedov who is the only man to defeat Petr Yan.

I'm not saying they're not also signing prospects but to ignore expensive FA signings like Anderson is misleading. Is Anderson a superstar? No but he's one of the best in the world at his weight class.

They're also signing prospects that are expensive like Khabib's cousin Usman Nurmagomedov. Everyone wanted him- UFC and ONE. He might not even be a "prospect". He's 11-0 and mauling people.

as for Chandler, what more was there do with him from Bellator's side? What more was there to do on Chandler's side? He'd fought everyone. Rematch with Pitbull. That's one fight. That departure made a lot of sense for both parties.

COrey Anderson is "cheap" compared to rampage jackson.  Thursday nights (no gate) + CBS sports network (no audience = you cant monetize guys like Rampage so spend a lot less for a corey anderson to verify quality of your talent.

6 days ago
9/20/19
Dead President -

Seriously. The promotion needs a new name. “Ultimate fighting championship” is perfect and totally self explanatory. To this day I have no idea what the fuck a bellator is. 

5 days ago
8/20/15
HillboFrateTrane -
Dead President -

Seriously. The promotion needs a new name. “Ultimate fighting championship” is perfect and totally self explanatory. To this day I have no idea what the fuck a bellator is. 

Warrior in Latin. Still fucking retarded for an American MMA promotion. Why not WFC "Warrior Fighting Championships" if you want to go the warrior route.

Or even World Fighting Championships, or Global Fighting Championships.

5 days ago
5/22/17

Yeah Bellator is 90% shit but oh well 

5 days ago
12/22/10