UnderGround Forums Ben Askren: I'd like to fight again, if ...

8/5/20 12:24 PM
1/1/01

Former Olympic wrestler Ben Askren was 13-0 heading into the ONE welterweight world championship. He won that, and successfully defended it five times before retiring in 2017.

However, he remained under contract with ONE, and in a highly unusual move, was traded to ONE for Demetrious Johnson.

Askren won his UFC debut vs. Robbie Lawler via submission in Round 1, then lost a to Jorge Masvidal via the fastest KO in league history, got put to sleep by Demian Maia, and then retired again.

On a recent episode of his Funky and FRB podcast, Askren discussed what it would take for him to return.

“So here’s the deal: I would never make like full-fledge, ‘Hey, I’m gonna go fight, I’m gonna chase the title.'  But I love combat. I enjoy wrestling. I enjoy fighting," said Askren. "So yeah, if someone said, ‘Here’s some money, go fight one time. Here’s the right opponent, let’s have some fun.’ I probably would, you know?”

“I feel like I’m gonna have to do something to make sure I don’t get too heavy. So I’m gonna have to compete in some way, shape, or form, might as well get paid for it. So I don’t see why not. And obviously, I’ve told you the UFC has expressed interest in giving me another fight but dude, my hip is so bad. So yeah, in a year or so.”

Marc Raimondi reported for MMA Fighting in April of 2016 that Askren's ONE contract had six fights remaining, and that he planned to retire thereafter. Askren fought four more times leading up to the trade. Both promotions agreed to mutually release the two fights from their respective exclusive)contracts, so they could sign new agreements with the other promotion. Thus, Askren fought in the UFC under a new contract, the details of which as not known. 

So it is not known whether or not "Funky" is a free agent. Given the UFC's history and the remark about another fight offer, he likely isn't, so, UG, if he returns for a one-off, who on the roster would you like to see him fight?

Stephen Thompson?
GSP?
Anderson Silva?
Nate Diaz?
Conor McGregor?
Robbie Lawler?
Jorge Masvidal?

h/t Jed Meshew for MMA Fighting

8/5/20 12:26 PM
11/20/09

Rematch with Jorge is interesting. Same outcome won't happen. At least not in 7 seconds

8/5/20 12:30 PM
7/27/04

The Chechen dude that's being hyped!would love a grappling dominant fight

Edited: 8/5/20 12:38 PM
2/9/09

Id love Masvidal 2 or Nate

8/5/20 12:52 PM
11/24/13

Mas got lucky.

8/5/20 1:01 PM
7/20/08

CRE!!!! Where you at?

8/5/20 1:05 PM
8/10/05

Why on earth would Askren deserve a rematch against Masvidal?

Askren could easily be 0 and 3 in the UFC if it wasn't for his "win" against Lawler, who nearly beat him to death until Herb Dean controversially stopped the fight.

Further, Masvidal KOd him with a technique he planned on using and was able to execute. You cannot lose more cleanly than that, so there's absolutely no controversy there that would support a rematch. The only path to a rematch between Masvidal and Askren would be lined with sour grapes.

8/5/20 1:09 PM
8/10/05
Nytron - 

Mas got lucky.

If Mas got lucky, so didn't every single fighter who ever landed a KO strike in the UFC, presuming they trained the strike for their fight, attempted, and landed it.

8/5/20 1:16 PM
3/13/18

Fuck yeah- give him chimaev (is that his name? Mr smesh)

8/5/20 1:18 PM
1/1/01

i dont think the knee was luck but id like ot see rematch

8/5/20 1:55 PM
7/30/03

I know it wont happen but if you are asking who I would like to see him fight if he is feeling healthy, it would be Colby or Usman. A Masvidal rematch would be just below those.

8/5/20 1:56 PM
7/30/03
The_Pundits_Ghost -

Fuck yeah- give him chimaev (is that his name? Mr smesh)

If Chimeav shows that he is the real deal then this fight would be good also. It's too eary for this one now though.

8/5/20 2:09 PM
2/22/09

Khamzat Chimaev

Askren was thrown to the wolves in the UFC and should take a step down in his return while Chimaev needs to take a step up.

Edited: 8/5/20 2:12 PM
8/20/03

I think Askren has lots of fights left for him but he needs to figure out how to fight in the UFC.

His one game plan fits all isn't going to work every time.

8/5/20 2:17 PM
9/26/10

nate would be a good fight. he doesn't have that fast twitch KO ability that has hurt Askren a couple times. striker vs grappler matchup. 

8/5/20 2:34 PM
1/1/01
Give him Anderson or Nate. Either is a good matchup
8/5/20 2:39 PM
2/20/20
Ministry of Truth -
Nytron - 

Mas got lucky.

If Mas got lucky, so didn't every single fighter who ever landed a KO strike in the UFC, presuming they trained the strike for their fight, attempted, and landed it.

Lol, mas was lucky, he was trying to jump over ben to take his back, but ben accidentally ko'd himself trying to headbutt mas in the knee

8/5/20 5:58 PM
2/9/09
ufc98newb -

nate would be a good fight. he doesn't have that fast twitch KO ability that has hurt Askren a couple times. striker vs grappler matchup. 

I like Nate cause his striking is better, and he has really good BJJ, but good enough against Askren? Idk

8/5/20 6:11 PM
2/28/14
Ministry of Truth -

Askren could easily be 0 and 3 in the UFC if it wasn't for his "win" against Lawler, who nearly beat him to death until Herb Dean controversially stopped the fight.

Further, Masvidal KOd him with a technique he planned on using and was able to execute. You cannot lose more cleanly than that, so there's absolutely no controversy there that would support a rematch. The only path to a rematch between Masvidal and Askren would be lined with sour grapes.

Why are you so scared of a rematch? It's an interesting fight. If you asked me right now, who would you like to see Askren fight if he came back for 1 more and that was it, that's  the first fight that comes to mind. Askren gets to say it was a fluke and try to prove it, Jorge gets to say it wasn't a fluke and gets a chance to prove it. That's compelling.

The only people who would be against it would have to be weirdo losers who are waaay to attached to someone they're a fan of.

Edited: 8/5/20 6:15 PM
2/10/20
Nytron -

Mas got lucky.

Mas vs Usman was kinda interesting, somehow i see a long night for Askern if its against masvidal again, not interested in any rematch, better try to fight with other fighters

8/5/20 6:20 PM
11/24/13
Ministry of Truth -
Nytron - 

Mas got lucky.

To varying degrees, yeah. 

In this case, it was on the most extreme end of luck.

8/5/20 6:40 PM
12/5/12

Just give me Maia Vs Askren again. Fuck I'm probably the only one but I loved that fight. 

8/5/20 7:08 PM
10/24/10
Gennady Goblin -
Ministry of Truth -

Why are you so scared of a rematch? It's an interesting fight. If you asked me right now, who would you like to see Askren fight if he came back for 1 more and that was it, that's  the first fight that comes to mind. Askren gets to say it was a fluke and try to prove it, Jorge gets to say it wasn't a fluke and gets a chance to prove it. That's compelling.

The only people who would be against it would have to be weirdo losers who are waaay to attached to someone they're a fan of.

Not to mention Mas legit hates him and it would create drama, and drama sells. And you know Askren wants that fight back...he admitted it's the one that bothers him the most for obvious reasons.

To top it off, if Askren wins it could set up a trilogy. Good fight to offer both guys imo.

8/5/20 7:24 PM
6/20/14
BringBackHeadbutts -

Rematch with Jorge is interesting. Same outcome won't happen. At least not in 7 seconds

Lol Nope no interest in that 

He needs to rematch Lawler 

8/5/20 7:35 PM
2/29/16

Askren would get hurt, badly, if he came back. The guy's striking against Maia was really upsetting.