UnderGround Forums Ben Askren retires

Edited: 23 days ago
1/23/06

bad hip for the last 3-5 years

23 days ago
8/3/19
CRE -

If I could, I would post that Jennifer Lawrence meme.

23 days ago
6/14/11

Was a great fighter, but unfortunately will be over-remembered for his last few fights. Has a promising future coaching so good for him.

23 days ago
10/24/14

Brought us a lot of entertainment over the last year. He also seems like a really good guy, very smart too so I’m sure he will do just fine in whatever he decides to do. Massively overrated, complete UFC flop. That will haunt him. 

23 days ago
6/27/05

He’s very popular in the wrestling world...that’s where he belongs.  I hope he coaches Mizzou.

23 days ago
12/26/13

That's a shame. I enjoyed watching him. He had a good run. 

23 days ago
1/26/08
stringtheory -

Brought us a lot of entertainment over the last year. He also seems like a really good guy, very smart too so I’m sure he will do just fine in whatever he decides to do. Massively overrated, complete UFC flop. That will haunt him. 

Look at his age in the UFC, he wasn’t anywhere near his prime. He had some nice wine earlier in his career in Bellator. That’s when he should have been in the UFC. I’ll remember him as being entertaining both on the mic and in the cage. Wish him the best.

23 days ago
10/3/11

Good for him. Nothing to gain in the UFC. It was just too big of a step up. 

23 days ago
3/18/12

Good call, was never good enough for the UFC. 

23 days ago
1/23/06
So much for a Danis vs. Askren grappling match
23 days ago
1/4/15

Is not fighter bashing to find it super hilarious that he's retiring?

I honestly dont even hate him or anything but God damn

Spends his entire career beating guys outside the ufc and talking shit about how he would wreck shop in the ufc if only ads hole Dana would let him. Dana spends the whole time saying he doesn't like his style cause its boring and also he's not as good as he thinks he is.

Years go by he finally makes it to the ufc

Talks about as much shit as you possibly can about everyone he can. Then gets the shit kicked out of him from pillar to post by everyone he fights and retires less the a year after joining.

Come on that's pretty funny

23 days ago
6/27/05
watahhh -

Spends his entire career beating guys outside the ufc and talking shit about how he would wreck shop in the ufc if only ads hole Dana would let him. Dana spends the whole time saying he doesn't like his style cause its boring and also he's not as good as he thinks he is.

Talks about as much shit as you possibly can about everyone he can. Then gets the shit kicked out of him from pillar to post by everyone he fights and retires less the a year after joining.

He didn’t shit talk Robby or Maia....stop making stuff up.

23 days ago
6/22/09

Masvidal retired that dude.
23 days ago
1/22/12
CRE -

Bisping won the title with 1 eye. Who gives a flying f that he had nagging injuries. Most fighters deal with this stuff on a regular basis. Too many excuses from a guy who couldnt handle the heat in Dana White's kitchen. Sorry fan boy. LoL. #ByeByeBen

23 days ago
12/28/12
Palmtreeguy -
CRE -

Bisping won the title with 1 eye. Who gives a flying f that he had nagging injuries. Most fighters deal with this stuff on a regular basis. Too many excuses from a guy who couldnt handle the heat in Dana White's kitchen. Sorry fan boy. LoL. #ByeByeBen

23 days ago
11/18/14
watahhh -

you can do one, pal.

Ben's a legend and has entertained us all royally. tricky fights. could easily have been different. massive fan of his.

23 days ago
1/23/06
305-onpoint - 

Masvidal retired that dude.

Maia beat them both. Masvidal is now a star though and the Diaz fight would not have been possible without Askren. We will see if Nick Diaz returns as well.
23 days ago
1/1/01
Too Bad...If Masvidal wins the belt, I wanted to see an Askren/Masvidal rematch.

Ben has the skill set to beat Masvidal. He just did not evolve his game (closing the distance without getting ktfo) and Masvidal did...
23 days ago
12/12/10

Best of luck to Ben. Despite how he finished, it has to be more fulfilling retiring with answers over unanswered questions. 

23 days ago
9/27/15
Stu Cazzo - 
watahhh -

Askren gets signed and then starts calling everyone out at 170! he basically said he would come in and "impose his will" on everyone and be champ..

3 fights later and he's been brutally Koed twice and submitted and is retiring..I like Askren but his UFC run really could not have gone worse..a total bust
23 days ago
6/27/05

23 days ago
1/3/11

I enjoyed watching him fight. 

23 days ago
6/23/10
ons ear -
Stu Cazzo - 
watahhh -

Askren gets signed and then starts calling everyone out at 170! he basically said he would come in and "impose his will" on everyone and be champ..

3 fights later and he's been brutally Koed twice and submitted and is retiring..I like Askren but his UFC run really could not have gone worse..a total bust

He got knocked out quick by Jorge and everyone shit all over the guy.  Not a lot different than Aldo getting dropped in 13 seconds by the first punch that touched him.  Robbie lit him up, he overcame, and got a win, albeit controversial.  But he was in a good position when Herb told him to stop, it's not like he was losing the hold or position.  The Maia fight was very fun.  To say he got his ass kicked is, no other way to put it, really fucking stupid . He knew his style wasnt fan friendly which is why he was so late to the party, so of course he talked up himself in fights.  For fucks sake these new fans suck ass. 

23 days ago
8/3/19
Stu Cazzo -
watahhh -

It is not personal or anything, but he called Maia 'basic' and then got completely outclassed. That sums him up really.

23 days ago
2/29/16

18-3 is nothing to be ashamed of. I looked forward to his UFC fights.

He was thrown to the wolves for talking himself up and it didn't play out.

#baptized