UnderGround Forums Brendan Schaub comedy special preview

5/1/19 7:59 PM
10/12/03
Their success speaks for itself. To be critical speaks more about the critic than the subject. But whatever, I went and saw both Joe and Brendan last night at the Improv, I laughed more than once.
5/1/19 8:01 PM
7/22/06
Ethan Boyle - Their success speaks for itself. To be critical speaks more about the critic than the subject. But whatever, I went and saw both Joe and Brendan last night at the Improv, I laughed more than once.

You laughed twice at Rogan and not at Schuab?
5/1/19 8:56 PM
6/28/16

The funniest thing about the trailer was the Showtime free trial ad at the end. If Showtime thinks 1 person is going to sign up to see Schaub’s special, then they are as fruity as his outfit. I can see him opening for a comic that has a special, not having his own. I rarely shit on Schaub, and I am a fan, but that trailer was cringy. I see why Joe and his comic buddies used to say that a comedian isn’t really a comedian until at least 10 years in. 

5/1/19 10:18 PM
5/29/05
Ethan Boyle - Their success speaks for itself. To be critical speaks more about the critic than the subject. But whatever, I went and saw both Joe and Brendan last night at the Improv, I laughed more than once.

So just to verify, if a comedian is successful then anyone who doesn't think he's hilarious is just a jealous hater? Because I don't think Larry the Cable Guy is the least bit funny and I'm not jealous at all of him. I don't think Jerry Seinfeld is funny at all. Same deal then?

Are there any successful comedians who you don't think are funny? Or does success automatically mean they make you laugh?
5/1/19 10:18 PM
12/17/10
Ethan Boyle - Their success speaks for itself. To be critical speaks more about the critic than the subject. But whatever, I went and saw both Joe and Brendan last night at the Improv, I laughed more than once.

They both have one thing in common, Rogans success is due to Rogan. Shwabs success is due to Rogan. He's putting in the hours sure, but the only reason he is making money on those hours is because he gathered his audience not from building his own name and reputation from scratch, but because he sucked on Rogans teet year after year and gets constant free promotion on arguably the most influencial podcast in the nation for not only his comedy career but his podcast as well.

5/1/19 10:23 PM
8/11/15

Majority of the people in this thread skipped white and blue belt. 

5/1/19 10:26 PM
7/15/17
Osbot -
mindless optimism -

is his stuff real comedy, or just agressive rabble-rousing like his mentor? joe cracks me up when he talks like he's a serious stand up. they should both watch a bit of Stewart Lee and realise they are just dogs barking, by comparison 

I think this is harsh on Rogan.

He's a solid B+/A- tier comedian. He's never approached the gold standard of his generation, he's a solid rung or two lower, but then, not everyone is Burr, C.K, Chapelle. 

I'll be the first to admit, most of his recent specials have been not very good, but his most recent one was pretty good IMO. Before that, the last special he had that was good IMO was Shiny Happy Jihad, in like 2004 or 2005 or something.

Shlub isn't even a comedian. He's a story teller. He tells stories that are supposed to be funny.

No way is Joe a B+ comedian.. he's a C+ at best .. he has a few good bits.. ill admit that 

where as schaub is a D- 

5/1/19 10:28 PM
11/9/18
Chuck Vindaloo -

Saw Schaub when I was in DC and I believe it was all new material, so for a guy only doing comedy for 3 years and using month(s) old material its not bad. Don't think he should have a special yet though. Even Callen can't get on Showtime, Netflix and he is way better.

You saw his show on purpose? smh

Edited: 5/1/19 10:54 PM
10/12/03
Sean McCorkle - 

So just to verify, if a comedian is successful then anyone who doesn't think he's hilarious is just a jealous hater? Because I don't think Larry the Cable Guy is the least bit funny and I'm not jealous at all of him. I don't think Jerry Seinfeld is funny at all. Same deal then?

Are there any successful comedians who you don't think are funny? Or does success automatically mean they make you laugh?

"if a comedian is successful then anyone who doesn't think he's hilarious is just a jealous hater?"

No, success speaks for itself. If someone does not find them funny, that is subjective and stands on its own. I was not conflating these two.

"Are there any successful comedians who you don't think are funny?"

I used to think that George Carlin was not funny when I was a kid, then in my 30's and 40's found him to be spot on with what he was saying. He was kind of successful, but my point here is to point out the subjectivity of the observer, which is separate from the comedians success. Success is an objective measure. If I, you, or some other person laughs is anecdotal subjective nonsense unless it adds to statistics for analysis.
5/1/19 10:57 PM
10/12/03
zFugitive - 
Ethan Boyle - Their success speaks for itself. To be critical speaks more about the critic than the subject. But whatever, I went and saw both Joe and Brendan last night at the Improv, I laughed more than once.

They both have one thing in common, Rogans success is due to Rogan. Shwabs success is due to Rogan. He's putting in the hours sure, but the only reason he is making money on those hours is because he gathered his audience not from building his own name and reputation from scratch, but because he sucked on Rogans teet year after year and gets constant free promotion on arguably the most influencial podcast in the nation for not only his comedy career but his podcast as well.

This is conjecture, but I suspect that it is right on the money.
5/1/19 11:38 PM
10/11/18
Ethan Boyle -
zFugitive - 

I feel like you've been drinking...

Though I do agree with your opinion 100%

Success is success...if you knock it a certain way you come off as insecure and jealous.  

Props to Shwab...I dont care for him much, but he deserves credit on his own accord.  It's not like I could persuade Rogan to be my friend lol...he got Joe to help him...he's not his brother or dad...fuck peeps...give the guy a little credit.

Once again, disclaimer: I can't stand Schwab's stuff...just giving credit where it's due

5/1/19 11:51 PM
10/12/03
mysteryman - 
Ethan Boyle -
zFugitive - 

Success is success...if you knock it a certain way you come off as insecure and jealous.  

Props to Shwab...I dont care for him much, but he deserves credit on his own accord.  It's not like I could persuade Rogan to be my friend lol...he got Joe to help him...he's not his brother or dad...fuck peeps...give the guy a little credit.

Once again, disclaimer: I can't stand Schwab's stuff...just giving credit where it's due

"I feel like you've been drinking..."

Because only a person drinking makes sense?
5/1/19 11:56 PM
10/11/18
Ethan Boyle -
mysteryman - 
Ethan Boyle -
zFugitive - 

Uh yeah pretty much. You think I trust sober blokes?

5/1/19 11:57 PM
10/11/18

What kind of buttfuck do you think I am brah??

5/2/19 12:36 AM
5/29/05
Ethan Boyle -
Sean McCorkle - 

"if a comedian is successful then anyone who doesn't think he's hilarious is just a jealous hater?"

No, success speaks for itself. If someone does not find them funny, that is subjective and stands on its own. I was not conflating these two.

"Are there any successful comedians who you don't think are funny?"

I used to think that George Carlin was not funny when I was a kid, then in my 30's and 40's found him to be spot on with what he was saying. He was kind of successful, but my point here is to point out the subjectivity of the observer, which is separate from the comedians success. Success is an objective measure. If I, you, or some other person laughs is anecdotal subjective nonsense unless it adds to statistics for analysis.

So if you say you don’t find a successful comedian funny, then that speaks more about you than about the comedian? 

5/2/19 9:21 AM
2/28/13

Can’t imagine anyone being worse than Joe 

5/2/19 9:23 AM
5/24/17

I wonder how many dicks he suckled to move up. 

5/2/19 11:06 AM
2/23/12

Good for schaub, but it’s funny that for all of the talking Rogan does about how difficult it is to do stand up and the years of experience you need to be successful a former athlete with a speech impediment has a special in what, 3 years? 

5/2/19 11:08 AM
1/1/01
FingerorMoon -
FanBoyBro -

This is what happens when you surround yourself with yes men. He’s protected by the comedy mafia in Los Angeles. His standup is awful, which it should be when you’re that new to the game. This is Rogan, Callen, and all of their faults. They’re setting him up for embarrassment. This special will expose his horrible standup worse than Travis Browne did.

I’m sure it won’t be worse than half the specials on Netflix.

That could definitely be true. 

5/2/19 11:44 AM
3/17/14

I like him on the fight companion but he is no comedian. that whole trailer was horrible.  there is a difference in being funny with your friends and being a real comedian. just cant get with it.

5/2/19 12:32 PM
3/16/16
absolutesperry -

Has anyone seen Redban stand up? I just can’t imagine he’s good. He’s been doing it for a while now but even on Kill Tony, he’s not good.

Assume it just him watching other peoples videos and trying to make commentary while dropping in the word butthole and olive garden every other sentence. Redban is still a step up above Schaub entertainment wise. Schaub's comedy is limited to quotes from early 2000s movies (that rogan hasnt seen so he thinks Schaub is a genious) and borrowing manerisms from his more talented friends

5/2/19 12:48 PM
8/3/12
Thuggnificent -
absolutesperry -

Has anyone seen Redban stand up? I just can’t imagine he’s good. He’s been doing it for a while now but even on Kill Tony, he’s not good.

Assume it just him watching other peoples videos and trying to make commentary while dropping in the word butthole and olive garden every other sentence. Redban is still a step up above Schaub entertainment wise. Schaub's comedy is limited to quotes from early 2000s movies (that rogan hasnt seen so he thinks Schaub is a genious) and borrowing manerisms from his more talented friends

*slaps mic on leg*

5/2/19 3:17 PM
2/15/14

A bunch of half ass comedians have arisen just from association with Joe Rogan and his podcast. If you get on a podcast with Joe, and are at least a little bit entertaining, that’s a huge catapult into notoriety. Millions of people already know your name. Add the fact that the world is full of dumb sheep, and BOOM, instant following and success in comedy. I’m not hating. If I had the opportunity like they do, I would go for it too! 

5/2/19 9:02 PM
10/12/03
mysteryman - 
Ethan Boyle -
mysteryman - 
Ethan Boyle -
zFugitive - 

Uh yeah pretty much. You think I trust sober blokes?

Ha ha ha!!!
5/2/19 9:06 PM
1/18/04
I like Joe R's standup. Consistently funny and engaging.

I find it very difficult to like anything at all about Shaub.